Author Topic: Show us your Briggs Kits  (Read 9346 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1605
Re: Show us your Briggs Kits
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
As a bonus, the Kaslo and Prairie Shadows cars are different prototypes.

Prairie Shadows is a Hawker-Siddeley and the Kaslo is a BCOL-only Railwest Manufacturing (basically BCOL Squamish Shops) car. Subtle differences in the bolster jacking pads and pulling loops, but the main difference is how the deck boards rest on top of the side sills on the RWM car vs. flush between the side sills on basically every other manufacturers' version(s).

We’ll shoot. I did not know this.  I was considering whether or not I should finish them with the PS models available RTR.

But now I’m thinking perhaps I should acquire a couple more of the Kaslo kits then? 

Thanks for the info.

Craig

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 02:25:13 AM »
+6
I was over on the island today with my car which provided an opportunity to visit Jeff at his makers lab.  It was interesting to see how these 3D models are made.  Jeff has just acquired a new machine and switched to a new resin which will significantly elevate the quality of his products.

A new batch of my kits has reached the finish line and it seems appropriate to post some pictures here.  If I recall correctly, the NSC riveted flatcars were the first of the 3D printed kits, and I have finished two in the earlier PGE livery and six in BCR livery:

This kit was also adapted into the PGE-BCR 7000 series trailer flat car conversions.  I have completed five in the PGE scheme and one in the BCR scheme:

Starting on plywood cabooses and 71'-0" bulkhead flatcars shortly.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 04:30:49 AM »
Nice, Tim.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
Awesome.

I’ve bern researching plans to build a model of the ONR Polar Bear Express. It looks like the 52’6” NSC flat car is a good match for one of the vehicle flat cars. Maybe Jeff will do the Canoe Car for me. It’s an odd 53’ bulkhead. Jeff?  Hey Jeff?

Craig.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:10:23 PM by craigolio1 »

philippe.whyte

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
Great work Tim.  That's a nice fleet of flat cars you have there!
Modelling BC Rail ca. 1987
North Vancouver, BC

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 02:57:42 AM »
+2
Work moves forward on the GP40-2LW...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I still need to address the paint on the handrails, then wash the model in dish soap and warm water to remove any dust or particles before final touch up and heavy weathering.

The etched brass was pre-painted using spray can enamel and then baked at 180* for about 20 minutes. This keeps it from wearing off on the sharp sides of the brass handrails. The Spray is thick enough to give a hint of a round profile for the handrails which helps.

The Body paint is Badger Modelflex Super Gloss Black and New Haven Orange-Red, which I also use for P&W engines. The color is actually pretty close to the red-orange that Athearn uses on their SD70s, so good enough for me.

I think the decals came out OK. The engineer's side is off by about 2-3 scale inches which bothers me. The left side was a challange getting the decals cut up and aligned around the blower duct and walkway, but I think that came out well.

I really wanted to do an exposed prime weathering job but that is way, WAY too complex for me. This will just get a good dust, dirt and grime job.

The kit had two major issues.

1: the pilot steps are very thin and break when removed from the sprue because the sprue is several times thicker than the part. This is why the front bottom pilot steps are see-though. They are actually etched parts I added because the originals broke.

2: the etched handrail/still is about 2mm short of the actual length of the engine. This resulted in a small gab between the still and the pilot steps on each end. It also created issues with the position of the cab step guards being too far back on the hood. I chose to keep the left side in place, but needed to move the smaller right side forward to touch the cab.

While on the subject of etched parts, I really wish Briggs considers using etched steel in the future. Brass this thin presented several problems when I was assembling the model, including handrail stantions breaking.

One final note... Microscale does not offer the proper class decals (GF-430) and they would be far too small to piece together, so I must leave them off. Same goes for the over/under LF, RF on the cab nose. Luckilly, they were replacing these with a simple black F by the late 90's.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:17:16 AM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

briggsmodels

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 02:28:50 PM »
Your  models look really nice Daniel. Thank you for sharing them on this forum. I've contacted you via email regarding the concerns you have. If anyone else had a dimensional problem please contact us. This was a problem with printer calibration which I've taken care of.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »
Looking good! I’m excited to one day build my Rocky Mountaineer units but they way back in the schedule. I’m trying to commit to finishing things.... but starting is soooo much easier!

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2019, 12:08:51 AM »
I hear you Craig.  A partially built project looks a lot better than one still untouched.
Steve

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2019, 06:23:52 AM »
I have to hand it to Briggs, they more than took care of the issues I had with this model. I want to stress that none of the issues I encountered was a deal breaker, just a bit of an annoyance. They offered to send a new kit with corrected shell dimensions. This model certainly isn't bad, and I'm not going to shelve it. But I'm not going to say no to a new kit either...

Think I'll paint the next one in the CN North America scheme. Nothing screams "late 90's" than that.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »
I have to hand it to Briggs, they more than took care of the issues I had with this model. I want to stress that none of the issues I encountered was a deal breaker, just a bit of an annoyance. They offered to send a new kit with corrected shell dimensions. This model certainly isn't bad, and I'm not going to shelve it. But I'm not going to say no to a new kit either...

Think I'll paint the next one in the CN North America scheme. Nothing screams "late 90's" than that.

I’ve had good experiences with service and support as well.

Craig.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »
WOW quite impressive work by everyone.   :D

For me it s sad that these weren't available 25+ years ago. :(

If they had, the FCN would have still been based in Southern B.C.    :) :)

Jerry G.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3461
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2019, 02:12:54 AM »
+4
Progress on a few more Briggs kits to share.

A pair of PGE/BCR plywood-sheathed cabooses with most major components assembled for a test fit; running boards, grab irons and handrails yet to be done, and the end railing/ladder assemblies will go on after the models are painted, decaled, and lighting installed:

And a pair of Marine Industries 71'-0" bulkhead flatcars with most components installed; end ladders and end brake equipment yet to be fitted:

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »
Looking good Tim. I’m expecting a care package soon which will have BCR intermodal flatcars, trailers, new trucks for my 8-40CWs, bulkheads, Rocky Mountaineer GP40-2W, and another special surprise.

It took along time to get the decoders back from Digitrax but they came a month or two ago, and I was finally motivated to get back at the S13s. I rewired them and ran the wires directly to the solder pads on the decoder. This was made easier with addition of a micro tip for my soldering iron.

This terrible pic is prior to getting it all dressed up but after testing so I know they both work. Next step will be to tuck it all in.

I also installed the cab lights and routed the wires in the corners using Tacky Glue as suggested here.

Next step will be to do some weathering prior to installation of the bodies and cabs.

Craig

philippe.whyte

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »
+2
Good to see those cabooses coming together Tim.  Those will be the final touch that your work trains need to make look like the real thing.

Also good to see the S-13's progressing Craig.  I'm looking forward to building mine.

My eight trailer flat cars are now in the paint shop... with a lot of masking work ahead.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:41:09 PM by philippe.whyte »
Modelling BC Rail ca. 1987
North Vancouver, BC