Author Topic: Newport & Rock Falls: Another Retro Micro-Layout  (Read 50179 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: Newport & Rock Falls: Another Retro Layout
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
I have a Technics receiver that I still use today albeit relegated to the garage, that has a motorized volume knob.  I bought it around '92-'93.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2019, 12:43:22 AM »
Do 'em skewed, like Boston...

I remember those - no more.  Well, 2 bridges remain, but I don't think they ever raise. That entire area is so different now.  :|

These aren’t the North Station bridges, these are on the approach to South Station on the New Haven. They’ve been replaced with a concrete boring bridge, although one side on one bridge is still there, in a nearby park on display.
The North Station bridges aren’t skewed as much and at skewed in the opposite direction. The two of the four that remain are still working. The Charles is technically navigable up to Longfellow bridge. There are four draw bridges, a swing bridge, and a lock, all in close proximity. So you’ve got to really want to get up there, but you can.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2019, 03:44:09 AM »
These aren’t the North Station bridges, these are on the approach to South Station on the New Haven. They’ve been replaced with a concrete boring bridge, although one side on one bridge is still there, in a nearby park on display.
The North Station bridges aren’t skewed as much and at skewed in the opposite direction. The two of the four that remain are still working. The Charles is technically navigable up to Longfellow bridge. There are four draw bridges, a swing bridge, and a lock, all in close proximity. So you’ve got to really want to get up there, but you can.

Ah, the South Station side . . . I knew those were gone, and all I was visualizing were the similar North Station bridges.  I didn't think they were operational anymore because the Storrow Drive ramp vehicle bridge seems very low.  Last time I was around the area was last year, on a Duck Tour where we went through the locks into the Charles River.
. . . 42 . . .

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2019, 06:57:21 AM »
They are still in operation Peteski, saw them up last year while driving in. Definitely did a double take.
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2019, 08:13:54 AM »
+3
The bridge nears completion.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:11:17 PM by DKS »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2019, 08:27:17 AM »
Did you add weight to the counterweight?  I seem to remember doing that to mine to help smooth out the roll.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
What, no video???   :trollface:

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »
Did you add weight to the counterweight?  I seem to remember doing that to mine to help smooth out the roll.

Nope, doesn't seem to need it. I got it moving more smoothly by adding a bit of powdered graphite to the moving parts.

What, no video???   :trollface:

Working on it. Need to set up a new YouTube account--they locked my old one and won't unlock it. They claim they don't recognize the machine I'm using to access it. Bullsh!t... it's the same--and only--machine I've been using the past 4 years. :facepalm:

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
In the meantime, rather than start a new thread for a stupid little side project, I'll just roll it into this thread: a locomotive test layout. Now that I'm selling locos, I need a way to test 'em. So I created a "torture track" using surplus Minitrix track, and slapped it down on a base. I even designed the base so I could add structures and scenery someday if I'm in the mood, although it's not part of the requirement.

Took about an hour to toss it together. I went full-on retro this time and secured the track with nails.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:11:31 PM by DKS »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:42 PM »
They are still in operation Peteski, saw them up last year while driving in. Definitely did a double take.

Good to know that this piece of RR history is still functional, even if the surroundings have totally changed.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »

Working on it. Need to set up a new YouTube account--they locked my old one and won't unlock it. They claim they don't recognize the machine I'm using to access it. Bullsh!t... it's the same--and only--machine I've been using the past 4 years. :facepalm:

Huh?  Why does the machine itself (IP address?) matter?  So you are saying that I can only login and upload YouTube videos to my account from a single computer?!?!?!?  That makes no sense.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
Huh?  Why does the machine itself (IP address?) matter?  So you are saying that I can only login and upload YouTube videos to my account from a single computer?!?!?!?  That makes no sense.

No, it doesn't make any sense. But when I try to log in, it says it doesn't recognize my machine, and sends me into an endless loop of trying to verify my account, which always fails. that's all I can say.

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2019, 05:44:26 PM »
I will watch with interest. These things are not meant to be placed near the edge of a layout.

Here is mine - had to take it down -too many elbow strikes.

/>
Al

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »
I will watch with interest. These things are not meant to be placed near the edge of a layout.

Here is mine - had to take it down -too many elbow strikes.

Unlikely my layout will be seen at shows--at least not ones open to the general public--so I'm not concerned. And if it ever becomes an issue, I'll attach a sheet of Plexiglas to the front edge of the layout.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
+5