Author Topic: Scale Trains pre order extended  (Read 3192 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +818
Re: Scale Trains pre order extended
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
One that would fit a standard 1015 box would be perfect. This was a big reason I have not used them yet. We also need an underslung option that fits in the 2001 and 2019 style boxes.

I'm sure Joe & Co. would have designed it that way from the onset if it didn't impede operational issues. The engineering with the TSC is, from my experience, apparently really, really touchy. Spring rate for the closure springs is particularly crucial, and are different enough even between the current long shank and short shank versions that I try not to install short shanks because they take nearly double the coupling force to mate. Unfortunately, the 1015 outer box dimensions that make them drop-in on Kato and Atlas locos force using the short shank version.

Changing the box environment also has an effect. Even using the "superior" long shank version with Jason's @wcfn100 excellent boxes, coupling force increases just from the added friction of the resin box.

Just managing expectations here. Of course I'm all in favor of drop-in versions for preexisting 1015 boxes and also for something satisfying the offset-shank problem, I'm primarily expressing an understanding for the design challenges ahead.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +178
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
I will third this suggestion, and also note, it would be even better if it could be used on cars that have half the coupler box built in to the underframe, such as BLMA or Exactrail cars.

We have driven this so far off topic, we've arrived at another topic. :)
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
It's the journey, not the destination. :lol:

Not too far off, given some consensus that we need a 1015-shank compatible TSC or at least better accommodation for the TCS for the ScaleTrains.com cars before some of us will plunk down the cash. They're great, highly-detailed cars that advance the art, but discourage hacking-up "just for better couplers" because of their cost.
...mike

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
Am I missing something. What has the coupler boxes got to do with the Scale Trains order deadlines?

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
That a few of us have expressed concerns about Scale Trains insistence on casting "1015-compatible" boxes into their rolling stock, which means shanks only, no other coupler systems need apply, and that this issue is going to procrastinate purchase commitments until solved, which in turn is not going to help them make necessary production numbers per their timelines.

Long way of getting there, but nonetheless an influencing issue.
...mike

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
Gotcha! it's kinda drifted off the original topic.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 08:44:05 PM »
I did my part and put in an order for all 4 of the cotton belt hoppers and the SP leased Conrail loco.

I only wish that they just put MTL couplers on them since their in house coupler is junk.  It has disintegrated on all my carbon black hoppers and I am perfectly happy if they just used 1015's.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »
I sure hope all these models make it to production.

I have $ waiting for both models.

Mark

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 12:18:59 PM »
  Is scale trains website the only place to pre- order the c39-8's?  Thanks

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
  Is scale trains website the only place to pre- order the c39-8's?  Thanks

They have their authorized retailers listed here:

https://www.scaletrains.com/apps/store-locator/

Some take preorders some don't  and I wouldn't expect a price break since ST is pretty rigid in their price structure.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +773
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
They have their authorized retailers listed here:

https://www.scaletrains.com/apps/store-locator/

Some take preorders some don't  and I wouldn't expect a price break since ST is pretty rigid in their price structure.

No matter where you buy from, it's the same price.  Unless ST has to move something then they discount on their website, leaving retailers holding their inventory at the higher price.  (See N scale container and HO tank cars as example). 

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
No matter where you buy from, it's the same price.  Unless ST has to move something then they discount on their website, leaving retailers holding their inventory at the higher price.  (See N scale container and HO tank cars as example).

That is not true. ST has some mechanism to notify retailers when they do sales because I have seen some of those retailers lower their prices to correspond to the ST sale price. Now if the retailer doesn't do that it isn't a ST problem.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
That is not true. ST has some mechanism to notify retailers when they do sales because I have seen some of those retailers lower their prices to correspond to the ST sale price. Now if the retailer doesn't do that it isn't a ST problem.

Only reason I said what I said was when they were blowing out the N scale containers, MTS never went to the same price ( at the time, though I've been shown prices now reflect the sale price) .  I don't have a horse in this race anyway, I can't pick up ST at my LHS so it won't be on my layout. 

Edit: Posts from when containers were 70% off.  I see where Shane mentioned communicating with retailers to reduce stock and not order, but retailers have certain profit margins to be able to justify carrying product lines.  Depending on what their original cost was to the retailer, matching the clearance price may or may not mean breaking even or losing money on the items. 

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44377.0

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:07:42 PM by mu26aeh »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 01:04:04 PM »
Only reason I said what I said was when they were blowing out the N scale containers, MTS never went to the same price.

They did/do offer them at the blowout price.  They're mostly sold out now, but they have 1 or 2 items left.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
They did/do offer them at the blowout price.  They're mostly sold out now, but they have 1 or 2 items left.

That I did not see, especially at the time of the previous sale.  Thank you for correcting that for me.  I'll edit my comment to reflect.