Author Topic: Scale Trains pre order extended  (Read 2997 times)

Pathtimber

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Scale Trains pre order extended
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »
So I received an email yesterday from Scaletrains. They openly say that both the C39-8 and the PS-4785 hoppers need to double their preorder numbers for them to go forward.

After what happened with the carbon hoppers, I fear if these don’t go through that they may take a step back from N Scale. I love their ET44 series, so I hope these projects move forward.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +430
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Scale Trains pre order extended
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
The carbon hoppers were a general hit!  I've got several myself and can attest to them being money well spent.

I can get behind the hopper pre orders but I don't need the C39.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
Well if Atlas can update their prod schedule and I see that the 4 units I have on preorder there are pushed back, I will glady order a second C39.

Pathtimber

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
I have one of the carbon hoppers and I love it, it a great model. I was under the impression that they weren’t pre ordered as much as they expected.

I have a small fleet of the modern BNSF hoppers on order and cannot wait, I’m sure they will be incredible.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +784
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
The hoppers, they're nice, and fit my modeling era, but I'm conflicted. I have three of the carbon cars and they are fine, fine models, but only one has levitated from the workbench to the layout after receiving its MTL True Scale Couplers. I confirmed with Blaine at our recent RPM they are going to continue tooling 1015-shank-compatible coupler pockets integrated into the frame castings, and don't plan any change to that philosophy. Seeing the pre-production models in person, installing TSC will be a big project with a fair amount of potential for damage carving the car up to make them work.

So my dilemma is supporting somebody who I believe is making a quality product where I can do my small bit to contribute to their success, or waste a fair bit of money on what will be bench queens that take a lot of time and effort to modify to my modeling/operating preferences, where both money and time are resources highly useful elsewhere. :(
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +164
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »
The hoppers, they're nice, and fit my modeling era, but I'm conflicted. I have three of the carbon cars and they are fine, fine models, but only one has levitated from the workbench to the layout after receiving its MTL True Scale Couplers. I confirmed with Blaine at our recent RPM they are going to continue tooling 1015-shank-compatible coupler pockets integrated into the frame castings, and don't plan any change to that philosophy. Seeing the pre-production models in person, installing TSC will be a big project with a fair amount of potential for damage carving the car up to make them work.

So my dilemma is supporting somebody who I believe is making a quality product where I can do my small bit to contribute to their success, or waste a fair bit of money on what will be bench queens that take a lot of time and effort to modify to my modeling/operating preferences, where both money and time are resources highly useful elsewhere. :(

For what it's worth (IMO) - If MT wants the TSC grow to a 'Proto 160' type solution, they need to produce a TSC with a 1015 shank (with or without slinky).. and I sent some design ideas to @Shipsure..   

Maybe sales have really fallen off for TSC couplers since the initial release - but as big of a hit as it was when it started, I'm surprised they didn't follow up with a more universal solution.

~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

Peter Amling

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »
For what it's worth (IMO) - If MT wants the TSC grow to a 'Proto 160' type solution, they need to produce a TSC with a 1015 shank (with or without slinky).. and I sent some design ideas to @Shipsure..   

Maybe sales have really fallen off for TSC couplers since the initial release - but as big of a hit as it was when it started, I'm surprised they didn't follow up with a more universal solution.

~Ian

I completely agree with Ian. I'm surprised they, or someone with a Shapeways account hasn't provided a solution for mounting TSCs on cars with the 1015 coupler mount built in. It's my biggest roadblock to installing more TSCs. I certainly would pay good money for MTL or someone else to come up with a workable solution.

On the main thread topic I preordered two C-39-8s and really hope some other folks jump on board so they can move forward with production. With all the disruption in the industry at the moment, ScaleTrains is unaffected, and this would be a good opportunity to support them.

I'm considering preordering one of the PS4785s so they can get made as well.

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:28 PM »
I believe the tooling is already been cut, so I doubt they will cancel them.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +402
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »

Isn't IM making the EXACT same car? That should have an easy mount for TSC.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
I doubt we will see the IM cars unfortunately, as they were marked as needing pre orders and on top of that ScaleTrains announces them then on top of that the manufacturing issue. I hope to see these from somebody. I pre ordered 4 from ScaleTrains and 1 of the C39-8s. I just don't look too good anymore with all these products pending cancelation. Is interest on the decline? Or are the prices too high? Who knows but it's a concern.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +784
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »

Doesn't matter now. The rolling stock budget for the foreseeable future is the Tangent Beth quad in original H-100-16 paint. We'll find a way to convert, by hook or by crook.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »

Not without a factory..  :trollface:  I think the IM release was already leaning over the canceled fence before the factory closure..

I was ready to jump on the TSC Train with C855, but I'm on hold until a true 1015 retrofit option comes out.

~Ian..

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
I spoke to the Scale Trains representative (I do not recall his name) at Altoona this past weekend.  I thanked him for the PS4785's and asked how the reservations were.  He said reservations were disappointing so far.  He felt they would eventually be produced, but they needed more reservations.  He said only about 500 cars were reserved.  I have eight cars reserved (4 CR and 4 PC).  I am considering reserving a few more CR with the intent of renumbering them.  The cars are beautiful, so if you are on the fence, get a reservation in.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »
+1
So they need about 1000 cars pre ordered to go into production, they said the carbon black pre orders were poor but they sold quite well. I'm sure these covered hoppers would sell well. I ordered 1 Conrail C39-8.

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 10:45:47 PM »
I'll go get mine pre-ordered tomorrow..

And the C39 as well.. (But they will need to do an SD40-2 as well, because anything else is going to look like crap next to the C39..)

~Ian