Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/19/17  (Read 8901 times)

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
Re: Weekend Update 2/19/17
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »
I finally have gotten back to do some modeling,  but not the kind I was hoping to do.. :P

After a three year stall  :facepalm: by our Club's Electrical Committee!.  (I hate  :x committees!!) 
The committee has been dissolved!!  :D

The task of RE-WIRING our club layout has been taken up by a few dedicated members !!.  :D
In the process of doing this, the bridge work that I had done on the Port Area, will NOT work, NOW!  :facepalm:

So, I have had to go back to the drawing board and redesign and rebuild the bridge...

The NEW bridge, 4th Edition is about 50% complete....

Jerry G.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »
+8
Painted up the company boxcar.

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
+4
Really nice work everyone! I love that turbine photo Mark, and Chris that narrow gauge reminds me of the Cedar Point steam locomotives that I used to work on!

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather we had in Ohio this weekend with several painting projects. First was prepping South Boulder Works H-10-44 with adding a fan screen and supports for the handrails. I primed it and painted it black, next week I'll be adding Nickel Plate Road decals.

I was also able to paint and partially assemble NKP 1200 series cabooses from American Model Builders. They're pretty fun kits to put together, but I'm debating if I should put wire grab rails instead of the wooden stick-on that are included.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
Really nice work everyone! I love that turbine photo Mark, and Chris that narrow gauge reminds me of the Cedar Point steam locomotives that I used to work on!

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather we had in Ohio this weekend with several painting projects. First was prepping South Boulder Works H-10-44 with adding a fan screen and supports for the handrails. I primed it and painted it black, next week I'll be adding Nickel Plate Road decals.

I was also able to paint and partially assemble NKP 1200 series cabooses from American Model Builders. They're pretty fun kits to put together, but I'm debating if I should put wire grab rails instead of the wooden stick-on that are included.

Nice job on the H10-44.   What are you planning to use for decals?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

btrain

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 11:10:28 PM »

Nice job on the H10-44.   What are you planning to use for decals?

Thank you, I'm debating on using Microscale NKP diesel decals, with the stripes on the ends cut at a 30* angle, but I'm going to measure the width of those stripes and compare them to a paint diagram and see if they're roughly the same size.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:43 AM »
Btrain,  Any of those Cedar Point locomotives still from Carbon Limestone?

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »
+6
Since I was far enough along on the scenery I went ahead and painted the fascia black.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 01:58:43 AM »
I think black is the best as it is less distracting and therefor makes the layout itself standout . Anybody try black for the sky ?

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 02:24:18 AM »
I use semi-gloss black, but even after dry you can sort of draw on it with your finger. Maybe gloss would be better. I like the black because it make the layout look like a diorama.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:11 AM »
+3
Chris,

How come you don't have some sort of award for producing such a string of beautiful, small layouts with
splended trackwork and scenery?  :)

-- Max

Put some trees up on the HOn30

You can't tell, but the layout is completely vertical while some trees dry againts the left backdrop. The last few days the layout has be propped up in various positions with a fan on it to speed up drying.  :scared:

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 06:59:36 AM »
Since I was far enough along on the scenery I went ahead and painted the fascia black.

Simply splendid.

btrain

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
Btrain,  Any of those Cedar Point locomotives still from Carbon Limestone?

Yep, the largest engine on the roaster, the George R. #4 came from Carbon Limestone.
https://flic.kr/p/5FzYKG

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Hi Peter,

My concrete trucks are stock Athearn. I just need to add the chute extensions and some weathering.
Thanks,
Wolf

Wolf, The Athearn B model Mack Concrete Mixers are nice trucks, I just wish Athearn did not model the chute on the truck pointing straight back and the ladder is in the dropped down position. I can tell you from personal experience, you always point the chute to the passenger side of the vehicle and the hopper ladder is always stored in the up position.
Here is a photo of the mixer I use to drive, we had racks on the fenders to store the add on chutes. The Athearn model has the racks on the frame.
This is not uncommon, we did have two Peterbilts with the racks on the frame, but all the Mack's had the racks on the fenders. 

Here is a photo of another local concrete company, you can see the discharge chute pointed to the passenger side of the vehicle, this is the standard stored position.

Also, just a FYI, the Walthers Medusa model is not a batch plant, they are cement storage silos. A batch plant mixes cement, sand and aggregate and dispenses it into the drum of the mixer.
Here is a photo of a portable batch plant.

The bulk tanker truck on the left in the photo, is delivering cement in powder form, from a location like the Medusa plant to the portable batch plant.

Wolf, your layout looks great, keep up the good work. The info above is FYI and not meant to criticize your wonderful layout, just sharing info.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:46:12 AM by Rich_S »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
+4
Stumbled across the fact that Atlas had released WM GP40 in my namesake road number, but found that was sold out, so I got this one instead.

First addition to the WM roster in a long time.  Felt pretty good...

I'm going to have to drop some more feeders for my little switching rig to work properly... It's driving me nuts.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
+1
Put some trees up on the HOn30

OK, real :ashat: talk time...
The foliage on the trees looks good. But they're also too short to really be "trees". They're more like... shrubberies.

Not that shrubberies in that context is bad. I mean, I'm almost certain that they're second growth after the nineteenth century clearcutting of the eastern US, and given your era, they probably shouldn't be too tall.

But, you know know, I wouldn't be me if I didn't point out that trees are tall.  :)