Author Topic: N Scale Sound and future purchasing decisions  (Read 11551 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: N Scale Sound and future purchasing decisions
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
+1
Someone should make a sound file for what these locos sound like while you're riding in the cab.

Craig

Bu then you would need to build a cab simulator with a video coming from a camera mounted in the locomotive being played on a screen which is in the cab's window.   When we operate our trains we usually have a helicopter-view of the train, so the sound should be tailored to that.  Distant train sound with some helicopter engine sound and blades flapping sound added in.  :D :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
When we operate our trains we usually have a helicopter-view of the train, so the sound should be tailored to that.  Distant train sound with some helicopter engine sound and blades flapping sound added in.

Actually, I agree with the sound being more distant, to be similar to what it would be to hear it from the scale distance our heads are above (and to the side) of the model.  Just leave-out the helicopter "whop whop whop", please.

Part of the problem with sound locos on a big layout with multiple engines running is that the "selective compression" we apply to our scenes doesn't similarly compress (attenuate) the sounds of locos that are several stations away.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
When we operate our trains we usually have a helicopter-view of the train, so the sound should be tailored to that.

For many years, I have designed my layouts to be viewed at eye level (I know, I'm an oddball!).

Mark

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »
For many years, I have designed my layouts to be viewed at eye level (I know, I'm an oddball!).

Mark

I always wondered about your avatar . . .
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:57 AM »
The first time I experienced N scale sound was when the loco owner was trying to compensate for the poor sound quality by cranking up the volume.  It kinda killed the idea for me - both the crappy quality and the ear bending noise ( i have a considerable hearing loss in one end of the spectrum and bat hearing on the other).  But during a recent visit to Mark Dance's layout, I had a reconsidering.  His layout has qualities that separate scenes, and their sounds, and he keeps his loco volumes down.  So I think a layout designed with acoustics in mind could be enjoyable, and for me that would include ambient sounds of nature, industry, and community; but not the cheesy module variety.

On that note, Mark and I got into an interesting conversation about the technology of hand held throttles with sound in the throttle, rather than the loco.  He said he'd tried it but felt it wasn't satisfactory, the sound not being with the loco, in your hand instead.  I wish I could sample it, because the economical advantage of digital sound based in throttles makes more dollars and sense to me than 30+ in-loco DCC sound set ups that cost as much if not more than the loco they are installed therein.  Not too mention the electronic know how required of sound cards, which I lack and have little interest in.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.