Author Topic: Squealing Kato - fixed but need to understand  (Read 3679 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Squealing Kato - fixed but need to understand
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »
I understand the part of not being fulfilled.  But I don't understand your conclusion of a work around and not a fix.  It fixed the squealing just like as if a drop of oil might have fixed it or a bearing block adjustment.  It wasn't a kludge. 

I don't see it that way: there are thousands of this exact model out there (without any modifications) in the hands of modelers and I would be willing a bet that most of them do not squeal.  You're model is most likely an exception not a rule.  Which means there is something unusual or different in your model which makes it squeal. You futzed around with the worm bearing block springs and you managed to quiet down the squeal. But there are thousands of models still out there in which the springy fingers still with the factory-adjusted tension and they are quiet.  That is why I see what you did as a workaround and not a true fix.
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »
This all brings me back to the bearing block orientation point. Assuming that my theory is correct that at least some bearing blocks are not square in the inner (contact) surfaces, is it possible that some or all of the bearing blocks are turned 90 degrees and thus possibly sticking out more laterally than they normally would? And this is possibly why the spring adjustment seemed to help (more room for the wider side of the block)? It's been awhile sine I had a C44-9W apart, so I can't say for sure that this may be the case with this particular loco or, if they are indeed not square, the wider sides are or aren't supposed to stick out laterally. That said, if you did not but it brand new, a previous owner could have positioned the bearing blocks incorrectly somewhere along the line if you were using how you found it as a guide. I did look at the instructions for one of my C44-9W's to see if the diagram showed the proper bearing block orientation. It did not, but I have seen the orientation indicated on other locos' instruction sheets by denoting which way the louvered vs. smooth inner surfaces of the bearing blocks go.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:47:54 AM by tehachapifan »

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »
This all brings me back to the bearing block orientation point. Assuming that my theory is correct that at least some bearing blocks are not square in the inner (contact) surfaces, is it possible that some or all of the bearing blocks are turned 90 degrees and thus possibly sticking out more laterally than they normally would? And this is possibly why the spring adjustment seemed to help (more room for the wider side of the block)? It's been awhile sine I had a C44-9W apart, so I can't say for sure that this may be the case with this particular loco or, if they are indeed not square, the wider sides are or aren't supposed to stick out laterally. That said, if you did not but it brand new, a previous owner could have positioned the bearing blocks incorrectly somewhere along the line if you were using how you found it as a guide. I did look at the instructions for one of my C44-9W's to see if the diagram showed the proper bearing block orientation. It did not, but I have seen the orientation indicated on other locos' instruction sheets by denoting which way the louvered vs. smooth inner surfaces of the bearing blocks go.

Aha!  Now that sounds reasonable!  No, I did not buy it brand new.  It was from an estate sale so there's no way to tell the history or how many owners it has previously had.  This guy had over 5,000 freight cars and god knows how many locos, mostly Katos!   :o

Either way, I paid DIRT CHEAP for it.  :D