Author Topic: It isn't an either/or thing...  (Read 3436 times)

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
It isn't an either/or thing...
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I just sent out a newsletter, and the first 6 emails I got from customers were from N scalers complaining that we've forgotten about you.  Two people were concerned that we are starting to produce British models, because this means (obviously) that we won't have the time for N scale any more.

It doesn't work that way.  We have N scale projects under development, but if they aren't ready to announce, I'm not going to announce them.  It doesn't mean that we have forsaken N scalers or that we don't want to do N scale any more. 

We have the ability to work on several projects simultaneously.  We don't have to choose between N and OO for our "non-HO" products.  So I can assure you that the fact that we are doing OO models for the UK market does not mean we can no longer make N scale models from North America.  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

If I don't have any N scale news, I can't report anything.  The problem we're facing is that we have three N scale projects in our old factory right now, and their tooling is very, very slow.  In the MLW factory, new tooling takes 6-9 months.  In the old factory, it takes 1-3 years. 

We have designed a new N scale project for a customer that would be made in the MLW factory, but he's not ready to announce it yet. 

Our plates are pretty full right now.  We have a lot of projects planned but if we announce them too quickly we risk upsetting people and being accused of "vapourware" and if we try to tool them all at once we risk running out of money.

Just rest assured Rapido has not given up on N scale just because there hasn't been a new announcement in a few months.

The executive summary of this email: Take a chill pill.

-Jason

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: It isn't an either/or thing...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Jason,
Sorry to hear you got slapped. FWIW I wasn't worried - my Rapido preorders are for stuff I find cool, so I'm willing to wait. Besides Athearn is just repairing stuff right now, so if they can do that you can add tread plate to a GMD-1 in preproduction.

Now when are you doing the LRV in n scale?   :-X
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
What is MLW?  Main Land Wisconsin?

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:14:37 PM »
It's darned if you do darned if you don't. If you announce a item you are working on you will get the endless pestering of "Is it ready yet?  Is it ready yet?" and if you don't then you will get accused of forsaking N scale (or any other scale for that matter). Me personally I would rather hear about it when it's ready to be released rather than an announcement about the next great engine and then wait 2-3 years only to find out that it ain't gonna happen.  ;)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:52:13 PM »
As long as one of the projects that is coming along is the Plan 4186 sleeper, I will probably be happy.  The delay will serve us both well, as my car just got out of the shop, and your sales will be better after I bank a few more paychecks.  Thanks to Jason for the update.

Tom D

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
Glad to see that the GMD-1 will have walkway tread.  :)

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 02:13:22 AM »
John:  MLW used to be "Montreal Locomotive Works".  Rapido is a Canadian company, but I doubt that's what they mean.  The latest ad I can find in an N scale magazine says their GMD-1 was produced "in association with MLW", so I will assume it's another model railroad-related company.

Several of their product pages have a line similar to this one:
"Produced exclusively for MLW (but available through all regular Rapido outlets), the FPA-4 ..."
which sounds like MLW is a designer and/or distributor of models, but again, I'm guessing.  So far I can't find anything about them.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 02:39:02 AM »
Sheesh....isn't it enough that the Osgood Bradley cars will destroy bank accounts (in a good way) when they come out? How much N stuff do people need at once? Seems to me there is a good mix of modern and "old era" stuff coming out overall in N scale so everybody should be able to find something to keep them happy.
I've never thought that Rapido was scrimping on N scale. And Jason promised that someday he'd make the OG coaches in N. He kept that promise. And I'll be one of those happily destroying my bank account to buy a wad of them this winter ("betcha can't stop at buying just ONE")

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 04:17:53 AM »
I gotta say, watching the publicity around the OO model is hilarious. Everyone is talking about it and speculating about what it could be. Good job.

I just hope it's easily EM-able...

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »
Glad to see that the GMD-1 will have walkway tread.  :)

Jason

I'm not, but I got outvoted.... Oversized tread us a pet peave of mine.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
No worries Jason the Osgood Bradley cars are enough to keep me happy waiting. Happily waiting for a potential N scale FP4-A for my Grand Trunk Passenger trains. Some GMD specific GP-9's with Canadian details would also make my N scale passenger trains happy.  :D

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
Yup, no complaints here.  Pullman Bradley Light Weights in the 4th quarter of this year.  More than good enough for me as far as the N scale quota is concerned.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:48:35 PM »
In their last email update, they had 10 topics, only one was N scale.  That is 90% that is not N scale.  And in all reality that is a lot of coverage for N scale in their normal updates.  I can see where some could see cutting out or pushing out their N scale projects is a real possibility.  I think it is a fair question.  They are self admittedly a small company.

Two of their four current offerings were cancelled and had to be re-announced because of a single HO offering that was overwhelming.  The last significant release my now five year old was barely a toddler and I have since added a new toddler.  Just a little perspective.

The tough thing is they know the certainty of production reality, while we can only go with what we can touch and buy.  Until product hits the shelves all four current products could end up like the original Cafe & 10-5 sleepers.

I like their products and hope to see a steady predictable supply of N scale products.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »

Two of their four current offerings were cancelled and had to be re-announced because of a single HO offering that was overwhelming. 

Which products are you referring to? 

-Jason

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
Cafe passenger car and the 10-5 sleeper.  I had both on order and those orders were cancelled due to the delay and re-annoucemant.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr