Author Topic: It isn't an either/or thing...  (Read 3448 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: It isn't an either/or thing...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »
Just to clarify my post is not to bash but simply support a concern.  HO is your main revenue source with N scale supplementing it.  Rapido expands into OO before there is a demonstrated regular N scale supply.  A fair concern for one to have.  I truly hope all three ventures are successful!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
Cafe passenger car and the 10-5 sleeper.  I had both on order and those orders were cancelled due to the delay and re-annoucemant.

Keep in mind that this was when the Chinese factories were in such turmoil, with some manufacturers simply loosing in several areas and ways.  Many of the manufacturers saw projects go down the tube or delayed to an extreme but at least a number of them were being up front with us and it wasn't just N-scale that was affected, with Horribly Oversized and the other scales (yes, there are other scales) also being affected.

We just learned this past week that we have lost another manufacturer with Model Power leaving without any notice.  I feel for the folks that worked for them and I feel bad that some of the models, such as the steamers, may never be offered again, though I hope someone will pick them up.  I am thankful for every manufacturer who is trying to make a go of it in N and I am very grateful that we have seen some new manufacturers appearing on the scene while others are working on new projects, including new locomotives.

For me it has been nearly 45 years since I first saw some of the Arnold Rapido EMD FP9A and FP9B models and their sorta crappy passenger cars on display at the Antelope Valley Fair Grounds but the infatuation and fascination I felt back then is still a part of my life today.  And I have nothing to regret about how N has developed... if anything, despite delays and disappointments we are still in the best shape overall that the scale has ever been in... with even some "Vaporware" even being worked on because of the renewed interest in N.

Thanks Jason for all you do, and for giving our friend Puddy a reason to be happy about being so knowledgeable about our preferred scale... a lot of us do appreciate what you are doing and if anything I believe that our patience will be rewarded many times over as our scale continues to grow.

That's just my 2 cents.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
Manufacturing delays are nothing new.  30 years ago, I bought a Con Cor PA-1.  The local hobby shop I bought it from was out of stock on the B unit, so I ordered one.  That order was never filled.  Before there was another run in the right paint scheme (or maybe it was just the distribution channel), the hobby shop closed (3 or 4 years later).  The upside- that PA-1 still runs, and I think it still pulls more cars than any other locomotive I own, including my newer Kato PAs.

Some Rapido cars were delayed.  What I am happy about is that the company has survived the turmoil caused by the Chinese manufacturing situation, because when you are in business, and don't have any product to sell, that is a BIG problem, and many small companies don't make it through such transitions.  Sounds like their new manufacturing arrangements will be easier for them to control, and lead times will be shorter- both good things in the long run.  To date, to be honest, they haven't produced any of the cars I personally really want- that is probably because not enough other folks want the same cars I want to make it worthwhile.  But their work is so good, I have purchased several "stand in" GTW coaches, and an E series sleeper (although those seldom appeared in trains to Chicago).  But if their recent efforts (the Osgood-Bradley's and the delayed, but we hope not forgotten, 10-5 and cafe-lounge) sell well, maybe they will be enticed to do the 6-4-6 sleeper, or Canadian Flyer coaches, or something really exotic, like rebuilt heavyweights.
Tom D.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
People not owning shares in a company and still thinking they own a part of it.

Hilarious.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
It has nothing about thinking you have ownership in something you don't own, at least for me.  It is about a company listening to its customer base and keeping them engaged (code for spending money on your products) so you stay profitable.  Rapido does a great job of communicating with their customer base. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

newt749

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
I have to admit that as far as most N-scale manufacturers are concerned, I see and/or hear from Jason more than any other company President. Now just because I live in Canada doesn't mean that I get a heads up before anyone else. I actually live on the East Coast of Canada in New Brunswick, about as far from being the hotbed of N-scale model railroading as you can get. Yet I just happened to be in Moncton at the Via station one day seeing my son off and there was Jason stretching his legs while the train stopped to let on passengers bound for Montreal. He was on the way back from his trip to Halifax. Great guy, friendly, and one heck of a railroad nut!

I really appreciate that he writes us a newsletter even if it isn't filled with N-scale stuff. At least he writes. I also appreciate the corny Youtube videos that occasionally show up. But most of all I appreciate the fact that he actually is making N-scale models. I've ordered my GMD-1 with DCC and sound to support that effort.

Jason, no matter what you may hear from a few modelers, there are legions of us out there that do appreciate what you are doing. Please don't stop.

Rob

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
Jason, the newsletter is great.  I look forward to reading it.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
Keep in mind that this was when the Chinese factories were in such turmoil, with some manufacturers simply loosing in several areas and ways.  Many of the manufacturers saw projects go down the tube or delayed to an extreme but at least a number of them were being up front with us and it wasn't just N-scale that was affected, with Horribly Oversized and the other scales (yes, there are other scales) also being affected.

Rapido was using Sanda Kan?  Huh?

Vince Gortner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
Please mark me down as a rabid supporter of Rapido...    I am first and foremost an N scale guy and of course I hope that Rapido will do more N at some point, but the HO stuff that Jason has made has also drawn me over to that scale too.  It's good to diversify and nice to have some beautiful things to run at the occasional appearance at an HO club layout or a friend's HO layout.  Radio makes truly amazing products and I have more on order, and I am just in awe of the determination and attention to detail Jason and his crew bring to bear on all of their projects.   

It great to see the good intentions of a crazed train-slash-model-railroad guy met with success.  And he seems to have assembled a good team, as well.   Forge ahead, Jason! 

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
E-mails from two people prompted this post?   A little thin-skinned dontchathink?   :RUEffinKiddingMe:

But hey, keep touting your n-scale customers as bad guys...none of my business since I'm not a stockholder.  :facepalm:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »
He said the first six were nscalers.   I can't imagine anyone on TRW doing that  :trollface:

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

I just sent out a newsletter, and the first 6 emails I got from customers were from N scalers complaining that we've forgotten about you. 

You had a crap ton of N in the last one. Tell them to suck it up and not be a bunch of douchebags. Plain. And. Simple.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
He said the first six were nscalers.   I can't imagine anyone on TRW doing that  :trollface:

"Two people were concerned that we are starting to produce British models, because this means (obviously) that we won't have the time for N scale any more."

Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of rhetoric.   Two people complaining about something shouldn't cast a shadow over a larger group.

AND, it most definitely *is* an either/or thing.   I'm not one to get up in arms over such things, but saying that it doesn't affect your product development just doesn't make sense.  You have finite resources...there are only so many hours in the day.   And, that's fine...it's no secret that HO is a 3:1 market or better over N.  I don't know what the OO market is but I suspect it is similar.   For most of us n-scalers out here, we are pretty used to there being 5:1 to 20:1 (HO to N) production ratio for companies that do HO and N.  (and yes there are exceptions)  The two bad apples here obviously aren't paying attention, but they certainly are getting their 15 seconds of fame...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:48:25 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
Tell them to suck it up and not be a bunch of douchebags.

We need an emoticon for that.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
You had a crap ton of N in the last one. Tell them to suck it up and not be a bunch of douchebags. Plain. And. Simple.

Oh, ok.  I just looked at the last two newsletters and only one special run passenger car.  Crap ton of n scale.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr