Author Topic: Whose Paint Do We Use Now?  (Read 5130 times)

Pete Steinmetz

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Whose Paint Do We Use Now?
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »
After the initial shock of the Testors announcement wore off, I started thinking. 

What brand will modelers use now?

Scalecoat
True-Color
Star Brand
True Line Trains

Model Flex (Not a fan)

Humbrol
AK Interactive
MIG Productions
Life Color
Tamiya

Did I miss any?

Pete Steinmetz
Pete Steinmetz
Encinitas, CA

kalbert

• Crew
Re: Whose Paint Do We Use Now?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Valejo. The military and figurine modelers seem to like that stuff, I see the chain craft store here carries some of it now so I may give it a try.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +738
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »
Valejo. The military and figurine modelers seem to like that stuff, I see the chain craft store here carries some of it now so I may give it a try.

That's probably where I'll go.  I don't know if the Academy and Fort Carson make Springs a big military modeling town, but Vallejo paint is readily available.

The big question is how much time and money will it take to get the colors mixed right.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1386
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »
Scalecoat here, both I and II; I haven't used Floquil for years. I have my concerns about long-term availability since it's solvent-based. Also the product's fade-out then fade-back-in after Weaver acquired them has me on edge slightly.

I like Dave V's idea to get closest colors in craft paint lines for things (like buildings) that aren't critical matches.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Never trust anyone lacking a sense of humor.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Agree that for buildings and so forth, I'll just use whatever is available that looks OK.

I don't paint much rolling stock any more, since I've pretty much reached the layout saturation point.  Will probably try Tru-Color if I need a specific RR color; I've always used water-based paints in the past (PollyScale has been my recent favorite), but also have always had a bottle of Dullcoat, which is solvent-based lacquer.  So moving to a solvent-based paint won't bother me.  I'll adjust.  It isn't the end of the world here - lots of options, and if Testors' exit means an opening for a smaller manufacturer, all the better.

John C.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Son of DKS
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
Be wary of Humbrol. Their Brunswick Green is entirely different from the Brunswick Green we know and love (unless you know and love the much lighter, UK version)

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
I just found that Vallejo has a 9 piece set just for us! I couldn't find much info on it on their website, but here's a link that says what's in the box. Sounds like there's stuff in their catalog that will work for me anyway, maybe change is a good thing?

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/Vallejo_Acrylics/Paints/VLJ00073099/product.php?man=tam

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +272
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
True Line Trains has many Canadian colours....don't know who makes em however so..... ?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +3030
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »
I've been using Polly Scale for years now, I like that it is acrylic, and I've had very good luck brush painting with it.

I'm really at a loss for what to do from here on. Mixing my own every time is just annoying and really something that I don't want to have to do every time I need to paint something.

I really wish some other manufacturer would step in and fill the massive void that Testors is leaving by axing this really important stuff.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
Been using Scalecoat forever - with the exception of Polyscale RR Tie Brown, I don't think I've bought any Testor's stuff in ages - except for some of their other hobby paints where I was not matching RR stuff per-se.

But frankly, I've sort of lost interest in painting and decaling anyway, so this is not a huge personal loss.

I feel badly for a lot of folks who've used and depended on this stuff for ages.

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
I'm with Ed. I shoot acrylic almost exclussively, and have no desire to move my primary paint back to solvents.

I shoot both, and can say that I much prefer acrylic from an ease of use, cleanup and speed of drying perspective. I know some folks are going to say "solvents are just as easy and look better", *BS* I have shot both for 20 years, and there is no comparision in the factors I listed. 

I will have to find a new acrylic "goto" paint.

John
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad
http://mymodelrailroadsite.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +3030
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
But frankly, I've sort of lost interest in painting and decaling anyway, so this is not a huge personal loss.

The thing though, is that it's not even "from scratch" projects that this hoses.

I've got a Reading GP35 that needed its handrails painted (it's from the dark ages) and rain gutters added. I went to MBK, grabbed a bottle of Reading Yellow and Reading Green and I was good to go.

Now, in this brave new world, I'd have to go grab... I don't even know what, and then custom mix some paint, and make sure to take copious notes so that if I have to touch it up at some later point, I can recreate my original mix.

So even if you're not painting from scratch, the second you need to touch up some detail parts, you're fscked.

SD452XR

• Crew
  • What Would Ted Sheckler Do?
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
What options do we have for primer now?  :?

Pete Steinmetz

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
What options do we have for primer now?  :?

Tamiya Grey Primer
Pete Steinmetz
Encinitas, CA

Pete Steinmetz

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
True Line Trains has many Canadian colours....don't know who makes em however so..... ?

RPM makes True Line Trains Paint.  Guess what RPM is Testor.  Don't know how they will be affected.  I sent an E Mail to True Line Trains asking.
Pete Steinmetz
Encinitas, CA