Author Topic: Whose Paint Do We Use Now?  (Read 7080 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Whose Paint Do We Use Now?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 12:31:22 AM »

EDIT: I wonder if there is any C&NW Green or Stagecoach Yellow, Roof Brown, Grimy Black, or Aged Concrete nail polish???  :D

If you look long enough, you might be surprised!  There are some really odd fingernail polish colors out there (as far as being applied to fingernails).   :|
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 03:33:22 AM »
Looks like truecolorpaint just signed up as a user. Assuming that they'll join the discussion, that should be very helpful.  Just remember not to pounce on them like we did on the katfudgirl. After we barraged her with questions, she never came back.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Maybe it's time to open a database of colors and matches?

Did someone mention a paint database?  Courtesy of Tony Sissons.

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1118
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
Great link and database, thanks for that.

I can understand how people are concerned with the loss of some brands of paint.  I myself am rather unconcerned, as I tend to mix everything for the airbrush anyway.  Looking through the database, I think those (few) who paint to specific roads will find what they need, I think.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

I can understand how people are concerned with the loss of some brands of paint.  I myself am rather unconcerned...

For weathering, the Floquil solvent paints can't be beat. My favorite mixture is Rust and Grimy Black airbrushed onto freight cars and their trucks. Beautiful.

Hmm... and yet Kiz makes
me wash his car weekly...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +159
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »
   Great link for the color charts,  thanks!  I will have to try the Truecolor and Vallejo paints through the airbrush.  Anyone have any experience or tips using these and would like to share?

Brian

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
No problem Luis. I just thought that you might have developed some method for not needing to clean the airbrush.  ;)
There IS! :D   But it's expensive. :scared:
Just throw out the airbrush and go buy a new one!

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »
We will now need 2 different types of paint, one for engines/cars and the other for buildings.  One gloss or semi-gloss and the other flat.  Vallejo or other craft paint available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby will probably do it for the buildings in place of Polly Scale.  ModelFlex or Tru-color will probably be useful for engines/cars.  This will be an interesting topic to follow and see which is the best paint for engines/cars and for buildings.  Reminds one of the old Chinese curse:  "may you live in interesting times".

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »
Tru-Color paint has been my choice of paint now for about five years. My decision to go with them is the accuracy and compatibility too the manufacturers colors now being used on rolling stock and engines. Quite some time ago I was a solid user of Accu-Paint until I was having trouble in getting it and decided to go with Model-Flex paint. Then came TCP. They use a very similar if not the same formula as Accu-paint had been using and that is why I have been using them ever since. Their paint is very easy too spray right out of the bottle with no thinning necessary. The finish can be decaled without a gloss coat first like on some other paints. I also noted that trucolorpaint is now a member here and look forward to hearing from them on this matter as well.

Jon
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:14:56 PM by central.vermont »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »
I have not used FLoquil to actually paint any of my model cars or locos for decades. I also love TrueColor paint (as I was a big fan of Accupaint).  But as I mentioned elsewhere, it is is great for airbrushing and not so good for paint brushing. It is also semi-gloss. But I loved Floquil (and even dabbled with PolyScale) for use in scenery (liek buildings) and for weathering. These paints also brushed on nicely (for things like figure painting).

We can give all the accolades to TruColor but Floquil going away will have an impact on my modeling.
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
I want a Floquil substitute , not water based , not shiny , and not spray only . Does such a paint exists ? As far as colors I only need a refer yellow color , and caboose red color , with those I can mix what I need UP wise .

Richie Dost

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 01:52:15 AM »
A Floquil-substitute Grimy Black, Rail Brown and Roof Brown would also be nice.  Those are the only Floquil colors I've used in the last couple decades, as they worked very well for brush painting flextrack after it was laid.  The acrylics don't seem to work well on new rail, probably because of the oil from the rail-drawing process.  Floquil goes on smoothly and sticks well in spite of the oil and slick metal.

On the plus side, all of my track is laid, so I probably won't have to paint any for a long time...
N Kalanaga
Be well