Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/10/13  (Read 10149 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
Re: Weekend Update 3/10/13
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »
Some great work presented already. MC's Shoofly module in the sunlight looks stunning.

After many years of planning and research, I have finally started to lay some track on the Beer Line.  This section includes the Lincoln Warehouse and the Milwaukee Journal newsprint dock (a nice destination for CP newsprint boxcars).

The prototype in 1976.

My version. I did have to drop one track and reduce the length slightly, but I think it will capture the look of the area pretty well.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

NARmike

• Crew
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: 0
    • N Scale NAR
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »
Wow... already lots of nice stuff this weekend  :o

I didn't get as much done this week as I had hoped but did manage to get something put together for the Calgary RPM today. The Heart River Bridge module (section) received a backdrop (1/2" foam on steel stud uprights), facia (1/8 Masonite) and track laid all the way across along with the start of the landforms for the north end.

The inaugural run went very well and I got to test what kind of load I can haul up the 3% grade... 1 GP9 pulls 6 weighted, untuned cars. I figure I can do 8 or 10 once I swap to metal wheelsets, more if I add bullfrog snot... right in line with the prototype weight guides for the hill (which I can't find now  :facepalm: ) which I think was 1000 ton per GP9 and 1200 ton per SD38-2.

I also got to learn a new skill, one that I didn't think had much to do with model railroading... sewing...

One little glitch in my planning... my modules are designed to stack similar to what M.C. does with his except, with the backdrop, it forms a complete "crate". Well... the crate ends up being 32 1/4" wide... the door to my house... 31"  :facepalm: I forgot to add in the depth of the backdrop supports  to my plans :RUEffinKiddingMe:

I'm left with 2 choices... narrow the modules or buy a chainsaw and "adjust" the door... I'm thinking chainsaw!   :trollface:

Andy; I'll see you and those CRS-20's later today!

Mark; love the bridge... what are you using for parts?

Tim; those vehicles are awesome (Nils has some competition) I can't wait to see your completed work train! I'll see you in April... I wonder if we can lure a few more  :ashat: 's to Supertrain and make a get together out of it.

Gary; too bad I missed you by 5 days. I would have liked to have met up with you also... maybe Supertrain?

M.C.; I didn't think it was possible but... maybe a little too much lube there  ;)

Now... off to Calgary... lets see... 4 hours there, 8 hours at the show, 4 hours back, packing & unpacking at both ends... that should fill up my day!  :scared:
Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railway's Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/

chicken45

• Crew
  • The guy who made DKS pee that one time.
  • Respect: +667
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
What do you all think about my viaducts? Did I overdo it? What could I do to improve it?

Josh "John" Surkosky
Darth Vader of Penn State
PRRT&HS Member
Bass Trombone Enthusiast
Bearded Dynamo
Kentucky Colonel

The Pig 
The pig, if I am not mistaken;
Supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon.
Let others say his heart is big—
I call it stupid of the pig.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »
Josh: like the weathering / streaking!
Maybe add a slightly darker high water line around the bottom?
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
I agree, very nice work on finishing the viaduct.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1205
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
I know who's finishing my berm wall!  Josh that looks great!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1090
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
Cement truck madness!

I made progress on my FGE 5145/5237 box. The car scales to 54'6" which is the best length I can come up with based on Robb's roof length, and measuring out the car sides based on photos.

Looks like the cuts were correct on all the body parts.  Are you painting these FGE, or SOU?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

chicken45

• Crew
  • The guy who made DKS pee that one time.
  • Respect: +667
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
I know who's finishing my berm wall!  Josh that looks great!

Thanks, all! I will definitely add that waterline, M.C.

I thought for sure my streaks were too thick. Maybe I've been looking at it too long. I tried to break up the thicker black streaks with smaller white streaks.

John, I'll help out with your wall, just don't ask me to go streaking.  :facepalm:
Josh "John" Surkosky
Darth Vader of Penn State
PRRT&HS Member
Bass Trombone Enthusiast
Bearded Dynamo
Kentucky Colonel

The Pig 
The pig, if I am not mistaken;
Supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon.
Let others say his heart is big—
I call it stupid of the pig.

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +882
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »

Mark; love the bridge... what are you using for parts?

thank you Mike.  The girders and laced members are scavenged from Central Valley and Micro Engineering, with more laced girders from Plastruct, and finally I Beams, H beams and sheet (for gussets) from Evergreeen styrene.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1806
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
My version. I did have to drop one track and reduce the length slightly, but I think it will capture the look of the area pretty well.

Dave S.,

I'm glad to see some track going down on your layout.  I think the loss of that one siding doesn't take away from the look of the area at all, and, in fact, I think your selective compression is quite successful.  Keep up the good work.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1806
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
What do you all think about my viaducts? Did I overdo it? What could I do to improve it?

Josh,

I don't think you overdid it at all.  The only thing that stands out to my eye that could use improvement is what appears to be a vertical seam under each arch, probably where two bridge halves were glued together.  As far as the paint and weathering, I think your viaduct is really taking on the look of stone.  Kudos.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +820
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
While nothing modeling progress wise, been wheeling and dealing on the yard sale.  Had these 3 show up on the property this week.  Mind you, of the 35 locomotives I have, only 2 Union Pacific, and 1 Norfolk Southern unit amongst all my CSX and Chessie units.   From front to back is Atlas C40-8, Kato SD40 High Hood, and Atlas CW40-8

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +816
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
Tim; those vehicles are awesome (Nils has some competition) I can't wait to see your completed work train! I'll see you in April... I wonder if we can lure a few more   's to Supertrain and make a get together out of it.

Mike:

Yes, I am all booked for April, arriving Friday morning and going home Saturday evening as I have another trip the following week.  Andy and I typically spend the Friday visiting his layout, the hobby shops, and then taking in the splendid buffet at the Glenmore Inn, which Tim Anderson of Ngineering introduced me to a few years ago.  The more the merrier! 

Josh:  the viaduct weathering looks very good.  As previously mentioned, you might consider highlighting the water line with some additional staining.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +385
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

Very nice stonework. If this is destined for a PRR line, you might want to consiser adding iron reinforcements:

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
Gary Hinshaw stopped by the area and visited Eric220's layout and then my place to do some 1:160 oak reseach for his Tehachapi layout.
(My goodness: that's two Canadian Asshats in as many weeks!  Couple that to all the great Canadian work already shown on this Weekend Update...  :scared:)

It was a gorgeous California Sunny & 70's Spring day, so I took the Shoofly in Sonoma module into the sunlight for some shots:

While it was out I was able to finish and install Mr. David K. Smith's little masterpiece:

An amazing little model, and knowing the workers have a ride back to the barn makes me feel better about them sweating in the sun.
More photos on the Engineering Report thread.

Oh yeah, while NeoLubing the D-2's tracks and motor, I happened to spill just a tad on myself:

Looks like something outta Shakespeare.  Or the Swamp Thing.
Turns out warm soapy water gets most of that stuff off  :facepalm:

Have a groovy weekend, all, and don't forget the sunscreen  8)
That scenery is incredible  :o :o What are you using for grass and dirt?