Author Topic: How would you solve this track laying issue?  (Read 1700 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
How would you solve this track laying issue?
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
OK, so on my LIRR I.S. layout I have decided to model the PRR elevated mains at a prototypical 13'-0" track centers (0.975").  No compromise here, I am not worried about fingers between cars etc.

When I position my #10 Atlas code 55 tracks on those centers it looks as if there is virtually no length for the diverging portion of each switch to meet:

How would the    :ashat: s here attack this problem?  Note that I will NOT hand lay a turnout, so please don't go there, not to be rude. 

I would like ideas on where you would cut the track or what process you would use to determine cut points.  I'm especially concerned about the guardrails that are in a near overlap position. Please help!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:46:52 PM by Lemosteam »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: How would you solve this track laying issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
Try removing the short rail that comes up to the frog on each turnout (leaving its ties) and trimming the stock rail on the opposite turnout to slide into the ties of the first turnout.  There will be no rail joints between the turnouts this way, and you will be able to easily trim the turnouts down to the track spacing you need.  Just be sure to leave a small gap between the rail and the frogs to prevent shorts.  The trick will be figuring how many ties to cut out before sliding the turnouts together to get your proper track spacing.  If done correctly, just a little bit of CA will hold everything together securely until permanently installed.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
If it were me, I would do the following.

First, I'd "fudge" the track centers by a fraction of an inch to accommodate the crossover.

I'd measure the length of the piece of rail that goes from the frog to the end of the diverging route. Divide that in half, then remove that many ties from the diverging route of each switch.

Then, with a Dremel I'd carefully grind off the end of the electrical jumper where it connects to the short rail section on the underside of the switch. The base of the rail needs to be clean and flat, with no remnants of the jumper protruding.

Once that piece of rail is freed up, I'd very carefully slide it out of the switch with a needle nose pliers, taking care not to distort or break any of the plastic spikes.

Next, I'd file the ends of the curved stock rails so that the base is smooth and slightly rounded.

Finally, I'd slide the stock rails into the spaces left by the rails I'd pulled, stopping just short of the frog. This is likely the trickiest part, but once it's done, you should have a perfect, seamless crossover.

EDIT: I was typing this post at the same time Dave was composing his...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:40:26 PM by David K. Smith »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
EDIT: I was typing this post at the same time Dave was composing his...

Great minds think alike, but you explained it much better.   :)

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
According to AnyRail, if you just join up the ends in their "as built" configuration, you get a track spacing of 1.25 inches. This is 16.67 N scale feet, and while not prototypical, at least the proportions will look correct. There are many model railroads that have the correct look without resorting to extremely rigid standards.

It seems to me like the only way to go "fine scale" on the spacing is to go fine scale on all track and wheel components. It is hard to do just one component.

Best wishes, Just another Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
Wow: while I was busy taking a crappy photo and drawing lines, all the Daves took care of everything.

Anyway, here's what Nils did for a close crossover on the Wye Knot module quarry:

Remove the "inside" diverging rail from each (slide it out of the clips) and then slide them together.
Just make sure to maintain the gap between diverging rail and frog.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
Gents I was thinking these ideas all along but i wanted confirmation that my idea was plausible.  It may still be that I have to trim the length of each remaining diverging route to get to the centers I want.  Working on it now.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »
Whew.  Look OK?  had to remove nearly 1.7"...   The ends of the ties had to slide past each other during re-install so I had to trim the ends back...

Not as bad as I thought it would be...THANKS!!!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
Looks good to these eyes.  You got your intended track centers and even eliminated two rail joints.  Win-win.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 02:11:58 AM »
I've also used the "overlap" method, on ME turnouts, and they turned out fine.  Like Mr. Fujiwara said, watch the electrical gaps, and everything should be fine.  And, yes, mine also required trimming some of the ties.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:02:58 AM »
Woos you should have custom built it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards

:RUEffinKiddingMe:
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia