Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/10/13  (Read 10194 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
Weekend Update 3/10/13
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +884
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 3/10/13
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »
Well I guess I get to be first...

Some good progress this week on the Kettle River Bridge.  I added rivets to the truss bridges, built the towers, cut down the piers and built a 40' and a 100' Deck Plate Girder bridge so there is  373' of the 533'  long bridge done!  Only an 85', a 40' and a 25' DPG to go.

Here are some shots of the bridges tacked together and set in front of its eventual home.

However, while progress has been good so far, I will be travelling much of the balance of March and have an operating session next week so I suspect finishing the bridge will need to wait until April...sigh.  :|

Have a great weekend!

Md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in New Zealand (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
A few days off this week was what I needed to finally finish the CRS-20 project.    This week I applied the remaining decals, installed new low profile NWSL wheels then applied remaining small details and a spot of weathering. 

The only remaining steps will be decoder installation and maybe replacing the front and rear handrails with more EMD style ones... but that can wait for a while.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in New Zealand.

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
Busy week; only got a couple of little things done; first; a Intermountain hopper weathered...

.....and a detailed flat car and trailer...... I tried to emulate a picture in the Morning Sun CN guide - no exteror door hardware........I don't get it but what the hell..........

BTW - the new Photobucket really F'in sucks.......... that is all........
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
Andy, the CRS20s turned out great!  Mine has stalled for now.  Progress this week consisted of removing wall paper, re-dry walling a hallway, and sanding down my stairs so they can be re-stained.   All 1:1.  Might get some work done on my CRS20 in a week or so.

Craig

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
Oh my , that piggy back and flat is a standout .

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
Oh my , that piggy back and flat is a standout .

Thanks Richie; truth be told I actually checked your site first to see what you had done with this model and was going to copy yours until I came across the Morning Sun shot. I took some license with the trailer but the flats pretty close.....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:58:35 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:57:03 PM »
Gary Hinshaw stopped by the area and visited Eric220's layout and then my place to do some 1:160 oak reseach for his Tehachapi layout.
(My goodness: that's two Canadian Asshats in as many weeks!  Couple that to all the great Canadian work already shown on this Weekend Update...  :scared:)

It was a gorgeous California Sunny & 70's Spring day, so I took the Shoofly in Sonoma module into the sunlight for some shots:

While it was out I was able to finish and install Mr. David K. Smith's little masterpiece:

An amazing little model, and knowing the workers have a ride back to the barn makes me feel better about them sweating in the sun.
More photos on the Engineering Report thread.

Oh yeah, while NeoLubing the D-2's tracks and motor, I happened to spill just a tad on myself:

Looks like something outta Shakespeare.  Or the Swamp Thing.
Turns out warm soapy water gets most of that stuff off  :facepalm:

Have a groovy weekend, all, and don't forget the sunscreen  8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:31:12 AM by M.C. Fujiwara »
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +515
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
Cement truck madness!

GHQ and Maruka trucks in progress. The Maruka body is a heavily modified Japanese model. It will be mated to a Herpa Kenworth W900 cab and scratch built body.

The Wiking body works well on  stretched CMW International R190 body. I plan on stripping the thick CMW paint and repainting it the same shade of blue.

Lineside Models Mack DM800 cement truck kit in progress. I added suspension details and a chute. The model will be painted in Athearn's Edmier scheme.

Finally:
I made progress on my FGE 5145/5237 box. The car scales to 54'6" which is the best length I can come up with based on Robb's roof length, and measuring out the car sides based on photos.

The master was built from Red Caboose PCF beer car sides cut down to the right length, Athearn NACC box roofs stretched to the correct length and Exactrail Evans box corrugated ends.

Sorry for the sucky photos. I have no access to my Canon Rebel until I have the computer situation fixed. These were taken and uploaded with my Nokia Lumia.
Dan's Train Company
Forcing grandma to make my trains since 2019.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +413
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »
As MC said, there was a meetup of west coast asshats on Friday.

I also had a Gandy Dancing session, and we got some work done on the C&H refinery.

We also cut some benchwork for the helix.  Not sure what that's going to look like going forward at this point.  More info on the build thread.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

NYNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
In honor of the Bay Colony start to this week's thread, here is an RS-1 I painted up a few years ago:

Brian

My Rail Travel Blog: http://twentystates.blogspot.com/

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
Well , aint that something Brian . Nice job .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +824
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 11:08:23 PM »
Congratulations on the CRS-20s Andy - a very significant achievement.  I look forward to taking them for a test drive in April!   8)

Not a lot of modelling time for me this week, but Spring Break is on the horizon.  A few new vehicles have arrived on the layout:

A Showcase Miniatures International Flatbed outside the Scott National warehouse at Dawson Creek:

Two Showcase Miniatures Tractors waiting for trailers at the BCR trailer ramp:

A GHQ bulldozer and log loader at the Northwest Wood Preservers mill:

And something I have wanted to have for a long time - a BCR flatcar with GHQ front end loader in work service, spare tyre and unloading ramp (a common arrangement on the railway):

I assembled the models with ACC and Jeff Briggs painted them for me. 

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +515
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
Tim those are some great models.
Dan's Train Company
Forcing grandma to make my trains since 2019.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +824
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 01:57:43 AM »
Tim those are some great models.

Thank you very much Daniel - I really enjoyed assembling them and I was was thrilled with the job Jeff did, particularly on the log loader and front end loader.  I have always enjoyed seeing your vehicle work.

I have assembled several of the GHQ logging trucks and grain trailers and am currently researching what colours to paint them.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca