Author Topic: Hot News from FVM: Multiple New Models  (Read 14378 times)

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: Hot News from FVM: Multiple New Models
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
I would guess that they are doing the SD70ACe because the GEVO mechanism can be reused. It's a long shot that Kato would offer other variations so FVM can take that part of the market.
I think IM will do the SD40-2 line in the future. I believe FVM has a relationship with IM.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
SKM... N&W didn't have any H32 clones, though they did use a similar design for the four-bay HC3/HC3a,

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 08:29:37 PM »
Well, there goes another $120, or so.   I seem to be catching up fast to not having bought any rolling stock for the past few years.  (just found a place that still had some BLMA G31s in PRR - Nscale Supply, another 120 down)
Bob

PJPickard

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
RE: the trucks, what we need are the T section leaf spring trucks, I don't thing the B&O used them though.

skm

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
SKM... N&W didn't have any H32 clones, though they did use a similar design for the four-bay HC3/HC3a,

Thanks Robb,
I was at work and not close enough to references to dig. So sadly the H32 is probably unique to the PRR and unless someone etches one, I'm SOL. (hint!, hint!)

I also goofed on the HC1, HC2.
It was the HC1 that was a direct copy of the PRR H30 class, the HC2 was slightly modified. (but I can't see what the changes are from photos, perhaps someone with more info can chime in?)

Alwyn posted the URL of a nice pdf that discusses these classes. There is a follow-up article by the same author that has some brief info on the N&W classes. I have the article, but don't remember where I downloaded it from. Perhaps the same site?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:01:17 PM by skm »
Cheers,
Scott

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
Curious choice with the Aces considering Kato has the market corner on this with all the UP heritage units and the NS heritage unit around the corner. SD40-2 or SD70M-2 would have been a better choice.

However the Kato ones have the wrong cab for the NS units.

I may get a can stock car or two, mostly because I think they are interesting, and may make it on a runthrough train

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
I don't know - Kato has done a ton of models on the C44-9W chassis - it would not surprise me at all to see them do some version of the ES44DC and the ES44C4....

FVM suffers from the same problem Atlas has - every loco release is in a different, often incorrect color.   A louvre here or there is less important to me than consistent, believable paint.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:37:12 PM by ljudice »

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
For those saying they won't get FVM ACes because of Kato, they have the one cab which hasn't been used since 2006, the details on their only body version are from UP's first lot of ACes and those details haven't been seen since. FVM with multiple body styles if done right can cover essentially ALL ACe variations and cover from when production began right up to today.

I'll get FVM ACes simply because I want correct NS Heritage ACes and I doubt Kato will do the mods necessary to cover that....

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:07 PM »
I agree that FVM will probably do a better job with detail fidelity (and variety).

With the GEVO's, I think Kato does a better job with the fundamentals (mechanism, tooling crispness, and paint), while FVM does a better job with the details (separate parts, more complete safety labels, etc.).  For me, the former is more important, so, on balance, I have been happier with the Kato GEVO's, despite their relatively limited offerings.  I hope to be surprised by the FVM ACe's (and maybe M-2's), but I can't say that I'm really excited about it right now.

-gfh

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
However the Kato ones have the wrong cab for the NS units.

It may have the correct cab but the handrails and longhood are wrong.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »
Didn't Kato have a "sneak peak" of Ace's at the NMRA or Trainfest? I think they sat on there hands too long. They have most of the NS version but seem to refuse to change some things. If they could 2 versions of the MP-36 they could certainly do the NS changes. All of the Heritage locos are high headlight so that problem is out of the way. They are also AC units. I do not know the nits and picks of the changes but I am sure Kato could step up to the plate. With Matt now in play it is up for grabs. PS, Kato has parts in house to make ditchlights on both ends. Bob.

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
Well...they need a isolated version of the EMD widecab, the turbo housing on the NS ACes and all ACes built after late 2011 is wider, the inverter cabinet has a different grill (and over the course of SD70ACe/M-2 production I believe 6-7 different grills have been used). As for other variants....Like I've said, the Kato ACe is good for early production (2004 iirc) UP ACes, nothing else.

Oh and shame on me for forgetting the rear ditchlights on the NS units.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:36:07 AM by Leggy »

SebastianLee

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:32 AM »
There was an article in The Sentinal on these cars a couple years ago.  Don't know if I still have it but I'll check.  I seem to remember they loaded can stock somewhere in the Carolinas and shipped to Baltimore.

Goose creek / Mt Holly SC.  There was also smelter plant in TN also (Alcoa, TN)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2013, 02:12:17 AM »
In the 80s the Canstock cars were a fairly common sight at Russell Yard, KY.  I have no idea where they were going to or coming from, as they were always sitting still when I saw them...

Being from Washington state, I'd never seen such a car, and wondered if someone had read the plans wrong.  The best excuse I could come up with was an attempt to build a 50 ft car that would fit warehouse doors designed for 40 footers.  Modeling the BN in Montana, 1974, I doubt that I'll buy any.

The modern version of the MILW caboose, on the other hand, would be useful for their interchange.  Now if someone would make a Boxcab, I'd be set.  Broke, but set...
N Kalanaga
Be well

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »
So why the odd door placement on the canstock cars ? What makes that so much better than the regular door placement , and what makes the regular so undesirable to spend money on this odd door car ?

Found it .....  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2491850
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:14:59 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost