Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/4/12  (Read 16248 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 07:03:56 PM »
0
I agree on the weathering, did you print the weathering or apply it? If you applied it what was the base?  Or what did you apply it upon? Just curious.

David P.


Thanks.  The corrugated metal roofing is from Builder's in Scale.  I mix PollyScale Aluminum and Undercoat Light Gray for a galvanized appearance.
The weathering is Winsor & Newton water soluble oil paint and some Bragdon Powders.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
0
I went to the last operating session on the Camden and South Jersey Lines,

on Friday night. Another local well know layout, Dave Skinner's Kadee Railroad, will be coming down shortly after the two open houses coming up as part of Model Railroad month, http://www.modelrailroadopenhouse.com/,

Phil
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:17:34 PM by conrail98 »
- Phil

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »
0
I did some assembly work on my [HO scale] scratchbuild of a Canadian Pacific covered gondola. Still a ways to go yet though.




Prototype pic for reference: http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cp344518&o=cprail

spr1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +318
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
0
Finished this, started last weekend.


David P
Dave P

HuskerN

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »
0
After a long summer of other non-railroad related activities, I am finally getting some time for a few n scale projects.  I recently finished a few weathering projects that have been sitting on my workbench for months.













HuskerN

www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com

Big4Man

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 154
  • "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time..."
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
0
Great work by all!!

MC, Where ever did you find the N/B/W's used on your project? I'm sure it was a bit fussy, but that is what always makes your work stand out, IMHO.






jereising

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 750
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +610
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
0
Mitch Legg's GDRMCo SD70s (custom paint by Brian Kuhn) continue their tour of The Oakville Sub...here seen just south of CP Canyon:



And on to the Caliente crossovers:



Just south of CP Bridge:



And through the Bealville crossovers:



More next week!
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »
0
MC, Where ever did you find the N/B/W's used on your project? I'm sure it was a bit fussy, but that is what always makes your work stand out, IMHO.

Thanks.
It does take a while to glue all those NBW details in place: easily doubles or triples the build time.
But worth it!
Especially when the trestle is the only detail in the scene!  :D

The NBWs are from Grandt Line
http://grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr%20details/augmentables.html
And are also found in the HO and 1/4 scale detail parts bin at your LHS.
I like the HO 2 1/2" Nut on Square Washer (5096) and the HO 1" Nut on Round Washer (5045).
I've also used the nut on rectangular washer for variety.

Yes, the square nut is slightly large for N scale, but I think this is one of those cases where a slight exaggeration actually helps than hinders the scene.
Kinda like David's head being slightly larger to make the perspective correct when view from below (originally David was supposed to be installed first up high on a roof and then in a tall wall niche).

BTW I'm talking about Michaelangelo's David:



not any of the Davids around here, no matter the size of their head  :ashat:

It pays to paw through the larger scale detail parts bin!
Never know what you're going to find!

Mr. Reising: groovy photos!
Really dig the first one.
When's the fence crew going to get around to stringing those posts?  :D
M.C. Fujiwara

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3582
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3970
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »
0
If you are a fan of the movie: RUNAWAY TRAIN, this is the area where it
was filmed in Portage, AK on the Alaska Railroad.

http://alaskarail.blogspot.com/2012/10/mow-on-portage-siding.html

jereising

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 750
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +610
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
0
Mr. Reising: groovy photos!
Really dig the first one.
When's the fence crew going to get around to stringing those posts?  :D

Thanks, M.C., and we've got a spare room waiting for you...

The REALLY scary thing is after seeing your work I'm actually THINKING about doing it...but only thinking right now...you proved it could be done, though, and it looks great!
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
0
Still working away on the shelf and light valance installations for the new layout... but have been geeking out on historical airphoto interpretation in the meantime.    Really enjoying this 1980 imagery of Fort Nelson yard.



including trying to figure out what that lash up of locomotives is in the centre-left of the image below.  Shadows seem to suggest a lot of RS-3s

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
0
I've used Grandt Line HO parts for years.  Besides the NBW castings, their shorter queenposts can be used on old-time N scale cars.

David P:   I like that shack.  And some people still say N scale is too small for scratchbuilding! 
N Kalanaga
Be well

spr1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +318
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »
0

David P:   I like that shack.  And some people still say N scale is too small for scratchbuilding!


Thanks, but I can't take all the credit, it is a GC Laser kit.

David P.
Dave P

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
0
Beautiful work MC, HuskerN, DavidP...everyone's submissions this week - very cool!

Not a whole lot of time for me to devote to MRR'ing this week as I spent it catching up from being away last weekend at an operating event in Edmonton.  I did get back to weathering and managed 6 locos and 13 cars bringing me the running total to ~50% of the locomotives I need to for an operating session (24 of 46) and ~33% of the cars (157 of 445).  No: they don't compare to your beautiful work Husker...way to raise the bar!











Have a great week!

md
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:15:19 PM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Roger Holmes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1271
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +739
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
0
Finished this, started last weekend.


David P

Very nicely done, David.  In contrast to your one week start to finish, I have been ballasting track this weekend that I laid more than 20 years ago :oops:  95% 0f the layout (400+ feet) is ballasted and the part I never did is front and center.  Oh well, better late than never!

BTW I tried the new Woodland Scenic track painting pen since this area is fully sceniced and I didn't want to mask and spray the rails.  Pricey, but for a small area I really liked it.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.