Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/4/12  (Read 16250 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 07:54:54 AM »
0
I think the biggest problem with the Shapeways switcher trucks is the Life-Like wheelsets  :trollface:

Echoing Dave Foxx - +1
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


NARmike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
0
No modelling for me this week :RUEffinKiddingMe:

But my "I Like Trains Kid' t-shirt came in the mail along with this poster for the train room  :D



I would like it better if it said "Keep Calm and Train On" but this works too :lol:
Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »
0
Also commissioned a fleet of eight Fairmont M19 speeders for track inspection and MOW work:




Jeff Briggs completed the speeders for me, and weathered the models pictured above for me after I applied the decals.


Tim

Great...another Speeder for me to have to get! At least this one is in 1:160 instead of 1:1  :facepalm:

I may have to pick a few up. They are a better representation of Fairmon MT19's as very few M series had the cowling up front, which was generally used on MT series cars with Canadian cabs. Of course, BCOR being not so normal they had em on their M series cars!



I've always liked BCOR's as well as MILW's speeders. BCOR's Fairmont A8 Jim-Busby rebuilds TU-108 and TU-109 have always been my favorites, and I am basing my A6 cab rebuild off of them. They are still running on CN.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:08:07 AM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
0
Very nice work Tim; those look excellent....

I put power to rails yesterday on the new corner module main line....







More can be found in jy Layout Engineering Posts..... now to finish some roadbed, lay the lower track and figure out what kind of a rock tunnel entrance I want to make for the Kamloops dummy sub.....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
0
Been building a curved module to transition from the track-on-ply of Effett Yard to the Free-moN standard of track-on-roadbed so we can turn Effett Yard into a branchline interchange if we don't use the folding storage yard that can attach off the wye:









Just poured the Magic Water yesterday, so we'll see how far it creeps and if I need another pour after it cures (in a couple days as it's pretty chilly).
Forgot to put in the C40 guard rails so that'll be today's project.
Thanks for looking and for sharing all your great work.
M.C. Fujiwara

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
0
Just poured the Magic Water yesterday, so we'll see how far it creeps and if I need another pour after it cures...

Best of luck with that; I hope it doesn't create a problem for an otherwise exceptional piece of modeling.

Another structure...this is a scratchbuilt barn reminiscent of some found here in the Pacific NW.



You really nailed the weathering on that roof! +100
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:28:42 PM by David K. Smith »

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
0
Very nice work this week. Tim, I really like that BCR maintenance train, and MC, excellent scene!

Nothing from me this week.  Going back into the abyss of proposal writing for work.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
0
I was able to get over to John Newicks to run his MEC/BAR layout for the first time in about a year and a half... I F'd up Northern Maine Junction and then went home.  :facepalm: :P



I also got both of the mainline BDL168's wired up. Total of 32 blocks just for the main line.



Painted the river bottom black, and now it is time to start blending it into the land. I started building up the many many layers of Gloss Medium that it is going to require to make the river look presentable. I also picked up the new Kato Amfleets in Phase III. I also started tinkering with the railroad bridge over the river. I bought a Walthers double deck truss to replace the Kato bridge, but it was too long, and the cross members were not in the right places to shorten it the 1.5" I needed. I ended up attempting to Americanize the Kato bridge by removing some supports and replacing them with truss, and adding some uprights. It still has some work needed to it, but its good fa'now.




I'm off at the Bedford Boomers show with the layout this weekend, so maybe I'll have some other pics later.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

avel

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
0
Wow! M.C. Fujiwara, nice!

spr1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +318
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
0
Here is my weekend project, actually it's ending this weekend as I started it last weekend.



Ok, I give up. How do you post photos.....

David P.
Dave P

Kisatchie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4180
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +63
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »
0
I don't know if it applies to posting photos, but new Railwire members need to make something like 25 posts in order to use all the features.


Hmm... I'm still waiting
for the free banana
daiquiri feature to kick in...


Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

spr1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +318
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
0
That would explain it !    I thought I had lost it, geezz. Ok.  I can play.

David P.
Dave P

Ike the BN Freak

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1639
  • Respect: +119
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
0
No modeling for me, however the wife and I welcomed Walter Eichelberger IV into the world Thursday afternoon. Got to bring him home today, now him and the wife are asleep.


spr1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +318
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
0
Another structure...this is a scratchbuilt barn reminiscent of some found here in the Pacific NW.



I agree on the weathering, did you print the weathering or apply it? If you applied it what was the base?  Or what did you apply it upon? Just curious.

David P.
Dave P

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 11/4/12
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
0
Here is my weekend project, actually it's ending this weekend as I started it last weekend.



Ok, I give up. How do you post photos.....

David P.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=23890.0