Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/24/12  (Read 15380 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9967
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2887
Weekend Update 6/24/12
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
0


Richie Dost

Guilford Guy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 633
  • Gender: Male
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
0

I have nothing photoworthy of my own this week, but as a day job ive been working on thIs "PRR" layout. There ultimarely will be catenary and working cpl signals. The bridges raise for 6 feet of clearance.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight


dougnelson

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2417
    • PRR N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »
0
Here is a short video I made at the PRRT&HS annual meeting last month.  The Capital PenNScalers NTRAK club was set up in the model room.  The video features the in-progress modules of the York, PA PRR station and PRR freight houses by Bob Gallup.

/>
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:49:24 PM by dougnelson »

rochsub

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 371
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
0
Began work on the Proviso Engine Facilities.  More step by step info on the blog.  http://genevasub.blogspot.com



here's the prototype.




bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »
0
Very little for me since I was out of town for most of the week.  I did manage to restencil the reporting marks on the sides and ends of this ExR boxcar to match the markings in a 1980s photo of the prototype.  Now it has to be weathered to match.



I also pushed progress along on another auto rack.  This one will be an EL bi-level with vandal panels.  The flatcar deck was milled from brass with the sloped sides formed from styrene so that the stanchions would be properly spaced to match the prototype.  The center rails on the deck top are formed from stainless steel wire cemented into milled grooves.  The remaining major detail parts will be from the MTL model.  The MTL diecast underframe was modified to fit.  The vandal panels have been etched and will be applied after the main model is finished and painted, and it appears that the main model components may have to be painted prior to final assembly as well.



And I'm still having issues on the Portec tri-level.  I've got it so that it rides on BLMA trucks with FVM 28" wheels and uses MTL 2004 coupler knuckles.  But I can't get the RP core to render consistently, as the latest attempt is off in length by about .015" - that doesn't seem like much, but it is enough to throw off the alignment of the brass overlay.  So I think I'm going to adjust the etching artwork to match, rather than keep rending the core in hopes of getting the dimensions precise.


Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »
0
Just ran them....no working on them...sigh

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

OaklandScottie

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
0
Getting back into weathering. Mostly light washes and chalks. Not pleased with the washes just yet. I am using acrylics, any suggestions? (i might just wander over to the weathering forum too).

Feels good to make the models not look so shiny and new. I also LOVE BLMA, man- their stuff is amazing.

Should i figure out how to take good photos with my ipad and upload them here i will.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
0
This is as far as I've gotten with my Railwire 1'2 entry, which would double as a diorama for the Medford convention next week, if I had the time to finish it (which I doubt).














up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9967
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2887
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
0
Geez David , you need to come up with a new smiley now , Jaw Dropping !


Richie Dost

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »
0
Geez David , you need to come up with a new smiley now , Jaw Dropping !

Thanks, Richie! I don't have a drop jaw smilie yet, but I do have mind blown...

dnhouston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 669
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +831
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
0
Geez David , you need to come up with a new smiley now , Jaw Dropping !

+1
David, your work is amazing

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
0
Brian, as always your auto racks are amazing!

DKS... wow, just wow!

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
0
Just stripping 3 more Metroliner shells as well as 6 older B-mann Amfleet I cars including a cluster of their chrome ones.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11617
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
0
Been making some progress on the NCR shelf:


davidgray1974

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 304
  • Gender: Male
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
0
Wow David!  Simply Amazing!!  :drool:

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.