Author Topic: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats  (Read 3174 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
Re: Conrail...

Towards the end of CR, you could see these cars - although I don't recall the correct combination of containers and flatcars.
I know that there were some leased Canadian National intermodal cars - similar to these trash flats - which were being used.
Also 3 containers in 65' gondola cars.

More broadly speaking CR - out of NJ - also had another move of sludge cars from somewhere around Oak Island - I believe
to Texas where it was used for fertilizer.  These were in entirely different 20 containers that had "BulkBox" markings on them.

There were other trash moves as well in ordinary 20' and 40' ocean going containers - with their markings painted out on
89' flats and 3 to a 60' flat car.

Finally the EPIC/EPIX 20' short containers on three truck spine cars - or 6 to an 89' flat car -  2 stacked - 1 not stacked - 1 not stacked - 2 stacked.

- Lou

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
The Atlas cars, BTW, tracked perfectly right out of the box, so I don't think they have the same wheel profile as BLMA....

- Lou

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4247
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:48 AM »
I believe I stated that the wheel face was similar to the BLMA version.  I didn't comment on the profile.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
Bryan - I wasn't trying to contradict you, just add to your observation! :) 

Someone needs to examine these different wheelsets to figure out a combination of features that looks good and tracks well....

- Lou

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
Just received my 20 undecs and must admit that Atlas has done a pretty darn fine job on these. Long have I wanted a long COFC flat without a deck in N scale, and though the idea may be anathema to some, they shall do their job as a stand-in for CP's ubiquitous 81' COFC fleet. Now I just have to find a source of traditional container pedestals... maybe Atlas will make them available as parts once the 89' flat is out?