Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/19/12  (Read 9142 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 2/19/12
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
What?

Meant to say it's showing as the 19th.  Sorry, would have got back to you sooner but I was out railfanning all day since the weather is nice.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
Current progress on the CPR plywood sheathed, high cupola van project.... not complete yet but starting to look like something...hopefully..... :|

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
Chris, it looks like you're doing one of these critters:

I have access to it (or what's left of it) if you need some data. It's 30" gauge but should be close enough.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:33:09 PM by David K. Smith »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
I finished this pair of Illinois Central E9's this weekend.  Still have a few minor things to fix, but it's at the 90% solution.  I almost forgot to close in the windows on the side, but a sharp chisel blade and some squadron putty fixed that right up.

Brian

Brian, those are HAWT!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 04:08:46 AM »
Lookin' good, Puddington - will be interested to hear the details of what you've done, as I have one or two high cupola vans on my to-do list...

Current progress on the CPR plywood sheathed, high cupola van project.... not complete yet but starting to look like something...hopefully..... :|

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »
Brian: Those IC E units are perhaps some of the most handsome ones I've seen - congratulations on a fine job.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »
Got some time yesterday to continue with some weathering projects.  These are MTL SD40-s's and a Rock 40' boxcar.  Using MIG pigments, washes and oils and haveing a great time keeping the airbrush holstered.
http://www.zcentralstation.com/index.php?view=image&format=raw&type=img&id=7805&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=178[/img]]

http://www.zcentralstation.com/index.php?view=image&format=raw&type=img&id=7804&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=178[/img]]

[url][/url]

Working on the chassis now.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
Sweet weathering and scenic work. 

Joe

Mark......WOW.......just.................WOW........... :o

This week I got several projects under way and or finished...

First is a couple of pulpwood loads, modified as suggested by Lee Weldon, ( Thanks & congrats on 10,000 :ashat: :tommann:)

Next is another trainman box, roofwalk removed, renumbered, faded and rusted...(new one is on left...)

Next is a Atlas Precision Design bow that I picked up at Springfield for 8$...new....
Here it is after some weathering....

A few weeks ago I got some very nice compliments about the weathering on this RS-11, but it wasn't done yet.....
Here I have added some of the base color showing through, and washes to the grills.....
Almost there.....I want to add coupler lift bars and MU hoses and then dirty up the pilots more....

And some fotofun.........

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

mdeberg

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:59 AM »
Love the IC Executive E-Units! Thanks for sharing

I finished this pair of Illinois Central E9's this weekend.  Still have a few minor things to fix, but it's at the 90% solution.  I almost forgot to close in the windows on the side, but a sharp chisel blade and some squadron putty fixed that right up.

Brian

Thank you,
Mike DeBerg

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
On the "Alameda-Belt-in-a-Box" layout, we got some signs up:

As well as finished the large building that covers the old power pack space (and is now a storage area):

Up until now we based the industries off of real Alameda businesses (like Del Monte or Penzoil) and people (Jimmy Doolittle and Jim Morrison of the Doors both lived in Alameda), but for this we took a slightly different approach.
As the layout is set in post-WWII times (1946-9), we labeled the building "Fujiwara Trading Company" (after us), made it empty and fire-damaged, placed U.S. WWII Anti-Japanese propaganda posters on Doolittle Freight, and then the "Executive Order 9066" declaration next to the door:

Since my daughter is studying California history in 4th grade right now, it was a nice opportunity to turn model railroading into a teachable moment beyond soldering and painting, especially with an event that affected all sides (American, Japanese, European) of our family.

Still need some small details here and there, but otherwise we're about "done" with the building of this layout ;)
(I wonder what will be next....  what? you've already started the next one? omg! more pictures soon....)
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »

I attempt to model B&O, so these two Kato NW2 engines purchased in Chessie colors were back dated to fit the time.
I also painted the Kato Unitrack roadbed with Polly S Dirt as a part of an ongoing track - roadbed weathering project.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
Cool shot of those switchers, Roger... and Coos, thanks for the shout out on the pulp load fix... wasn't that easy?

But MC...  You've blown me away with this one...

It took three looks to figure out what kits and parts went in there, and I'm still not entirely sure.  Meanwhile, back on the WM, I had a great conversation with fellow N scale contributor and budding  :ashat: Rich Bellasaitis (sp?)... he penned the "Smoke along the River Revisited" article in the last edition.  Me being the way I am, I nitpicked that while the layout looked really nice overall, the unpainted structures stuck out in my eye...  So one thing led to another, and I'm now the proud owner of the big yellow meat packing house, which I've been busily converting into the Queen City Brewing Company for the shores of Wills Creek...

It's in the paint shop now.  I'm not sure if this kit came with window blanks, but if anyone has any for the tall windows, I could use four of them.  Otherwise I'll just improvise something.

Now I have to go gather up my toolbox and some supplies... wifey has me going to the beach tonight... she's at a museum conference so I have to entertain the children with miniature golf and funnel cakes during daylight hours, but then I have to work on my 12x12...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
M.C. Fujiwara , outstanding Sir , I found myself just looking and looking at that scene for quite awhile , and that was before I got to the last picture . 

Richie Dost

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
M.C. Fujiwara , outstanding Sir , I found myself just looking and looking at that scene for quite awhile , and that was before I got to the last picture .

+ 1....man, some of the freakish talent that posts here....I mean....wow........ :o

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
Beautiful work MC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Mike