Author Topic: NJ international PRR signals  (Read 3506 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
NJ international PRR signals
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
I was just wondering if anybody has purchased any of these (the new true scale) PRR position light signals. I'm thinking of getting a few I was wondering how good they are, because someone on here had seen them at a show and said they looked kinda bad.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +416
    • The Modern PRR
Re: NJ international PRR signals
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
I'm the one that posted about them from the NTS. The quality in the one that I saw was a little lacking. It looked like a WS built-up. On the other hand, it's an RTR PRR PL, and it's available. If you're seriously considering getting some, I'd suggest buying just one to start with and seeing if the quality is up to your personal standards.

I'm still holding out hope that TrainCat will do theirs, because I'm sure that the quality will be much better.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »
The old school NJ International PRR sigs SUCKED. I haven't seen any of the new NJ Int ones, not even decent pix. :'(

I have a bunch of these (which I need to convert to CPL) - these are awesome! (but sold out :-\):

http://alkemscalemodels.net/ASMMain/SignalLights.html

Mark

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »
I do wish Alkem would consider doing some more of these simply because...
"Pre-wired N Scale Position Light Signals with cast brass targets."  No assembly required.

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:10:48 PM »
If Alkem would do them again I would definatley be in for some of the PRR and B&O since I'm modeling a mixture of Conrail and Chessie. I got The TrainCat lines west signal bridge and the PRR position light mast signals I just need the lights!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
I'd also love another run of Alkem lights.  They are what I've used so far.  There is some assembly required, but the result is well worth it.

Bob has come up with some new lighted PRR PL's that sound pretty exciting, but he said that he may not be able to make them.  Like I said, I'm still holding out hope for those.  One way or another, I'm eventually going to need about 100 arms.
-Eric

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Count me in on those PRR signals from Alkem. :D I would have to order alot since it would be signature piece(s). Then I would probably seek out a kit form to use on my PRR signal bridges, if such an item were ever made available.
TMM

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3975
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
I have a few Alkems I never assembled and wired... I'm willing to try a sample of the NJI signal too.  Depends on what they end up going for on the street.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2064
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
What would be the interest in an LED unit for these signals?

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »
DKS - The NJI, Alkem, and proposed TrainCat signals are all lit.  Having said that, I for one would be interested in lighting boards, especially for the lower arms.  Right now, I've had to fake dual-arm signals with two circular upper arms stacked on top of each other.  Also, if Bernie doesn't do another run and Bob doesn't do his new signals, I'm stuck with either the NJI's (and I think my opinion of those is pretty well documented), or lighting the brass cutouts that come with the TrainCat and Alkem poles and bridges.  Given the choice, I'd rather go with the second option, but I don't have the skills to build the lighting boards myself.
-Eric

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »
What would be the interest in an LED unit for these signals?

If Bernie has no plans to rerun his, then I would say, yes.
No idea about Bob's, I'm still waiting to see if decals materialize.
Thanks
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +77
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »
Mark Runyan just completed the Solidworks and a micro-tool maker is reviewing to see if there is a good way to do an injection tooling and have the shades be realistic. We are really shooting for this method as I will do B&O and D-Type targets from the same tool. PSC has already given me the quote for a brass casting if required, but I am awaiting tool maker to make the final decision. Either way, the days of attaching shades to my targets are numbered.

The PCB for the PRR will be different in that the LED's being used will be mounted from the back of the PCB through a hole in the PCB. This will allow a much more realistic profile when viewed from the side. NCE is doing the PCB's and is beginning the program for the pick and place machine. The PCB also has to be IR soldered instead of wave soldering since they are mounted in essence, upside down. One other big difference from NJI and what I am doing is that I will have only 4 wires instead of 7.

As I told Eric in Sacramento, there are quite a few challenges going on right now to do this right. Chris from NJI talked about the same challenges for the PRR signal in Sacramento. Chis is also watching the outcome of my efforts and he is being kept fully in the loop. Both of us are willing to OEM the best components from the other for our common benefit.

Regards
Bob Knight

TrainCat Model Sales

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
I'll definatley keep an eye out for new updates on the outcome of these signal boards! I really like the TrainCat signals the only downer to assembly is attaching the shades :o But they are worth the effort and I will be in for the B&O's too! I will purchase quite a few of the led assemblies when you get them, cause with the quality of the signals combined with functionality will put them over the top. Keep us posted.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1556
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »
I just need a simple TO board with a rectangular face and three lights, and a lunar on top of the mast... bi-directional, too.  And no need for complex electronics, a simple three position switch for the dispatcher to set so crews know if there's orders.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
I've pretty much resigned myself to having to put together my own LED light boards for the Alchem targets I bought (I model N&W - not PRR  ;)).

I assume that nobody actually models Amtrak NE corridor as I've never heard anyone ask for Amtrak CPLs (still in use today on the NE corridor).

Glad to finally see some movement on the PRR signals, as they are a good starting point for N&W. :D

Mark