Author Topic: NSC Boxcar  (Read 3952 times)

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
Re: NSC Boxcar
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
For what you are getting 30 isn't so bad, given street price for lots of rtr cars are near that anyway up here in Canada, it's not a big deal for us. Personal finances though are make or break on any purchase.

Also, this is going to be a high quality kit, Jeff does great work and this had all been designed via CAD, and so is a little more than just a guy pouring resin in his basement.

And yes, this has been a long awaited project, I spoke to Jeff about starting this project back at the start of 2011 so it's great to see it available now.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:16:48 PM by SirTainly »

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
Jeff has brought out some pretty needed stuff for us Canucks, so though the cost is high, the quality and accuracy is at the level that purists demand. Not a generaic stick any road name on it type car, but pretty specific and lauded by BCOL fans to be sure..

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
It's very encouraging to see all this support for a solitary craftsman out there doing quality work in a niche field. I am getting extremely bored with the "I don't care, everything should cost what it cost forty years ago" crowd. Bravo, Canada!  :D

Cheers,
-Mark

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
...I am getting extremely bored with the "I don't care, everything should cost what it cost forty years ago" crowd.

Hmm... I'd be happy if
cars cost what they were
4 years ago...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »

I really don't want the Railwire to turn into "A forum for bitching about model railroad price inflation" again...

Ed, that was never my intention!

A couple of points.  I did not realize these were "custom made, railroad specific" models when I made my initial comment.  Given that, the price is not as unreasonable as I initially suspected.
I am sure they are of excellent quality and fill a specific need for many modelers. 

Speaking for myself, there are several pieces of rolling stock that I would like to have that are simply not available.  However, if they were available as custom made models that, when equipped with trucks and couplers, would cost close to half the cost of a non-DCC locomotive - I would pass.

Your mileage may vary.....

eja

NARmike

• Crew
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »

I am very interested to see the model. I purchaced all 3 Athearn NAR cars but I haven't inspected them to see what, if any, flaws were on them... maybe one of you can fill me in on that.

Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/
Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railway's Peace River subdivision in N scale

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »
As has been stated, the cost is relative to the quality offered and the customer's need and want. 

In this particular case, we are talking about a high quality resin kit with etched metal detail parts.  Similar kits from Kaslo Shops several years ago now ran about $25.00; the higher price reflects the passage of several years, during which there have been increases in materials such as the cost of mould and casting materials, as well as a switch to a 3D printed master pattern (significantly higher resolution than Shapeways).  This is a limited run kit for a small niche market and the determined BCR (and NAR!) modellers will make short work of the production run.

If the price is too high you can purchase the recently released BCIT and NAR cars from Athearn which retail here in Canada for $20.95 CAD.  They are nicely finished in terms of paint and lettering; howevr, the source model has the wrong ends, sides, roof, and underframe.  It is a question of how accurate one wishes their models to be and how much they are willing to pay to get there.  I purchased one of the NAR cars from Athearn, but I will be replacing it with one of these kits.

I will be posting a formal announcement very shortly with photographs - I am just finishing up assembly of the two cars I was sent last week for that purpose.  Three additional kits are also in preparation for release at our upcoming PGE 100 Convention.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »

Hmm... I'd be happy if
cars cost what they were
4 years ago...

Nothing costs what it cost 4 years ago. Y'see, there's this thing called an economy and part of it is inflation and... Oh wait, you're an ape, nevermind.

-Mark

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
Oh wait, you're an ape, nevermind.

You made a friend for life, Mark...

Hmm... thank you for
calling me an ape instead
of a lowly monkey...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »

I am very interested to see the model. I purchaced all 3 Athearn NAR cars but I haven't inspected them to see what, if any, flaws were on them... maybe one of you can fill me in on that.

Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale

in addition to what Tim has said, the Athearn/MDC car has a different rib arrangement (the NAR cars lacked the rib on the corners) and the real thing had the triangular pieces either sides of the door which the rtr model lacks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:29:06 PM by SirTainly »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »

You mean besides being completely the wrong prototype? ;)