Author Topic: Another "special project" question  (Read 5724 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Another "special project" question
« on: July 12, 2011, 12:36:47 AM »
0
As everyone knows, in addition to the conventional injection-molded RTR mainline items, I like to throw in the occasional limited run targeted appeal oddball project here and there.

While not at the top of the wish list, the lack of availability of buses is a regular observation.  I believe I've roughed out a plan to offer polyurethane resin bus castings (body, floor/interior, wheel/tires) at approximately $12 per kit.  Etched stainless steel side mirrors would be included.  No glass, the modeler would have to use Kristal Klear or go without.  No decals, the modeler would be on his/her own for decorations.  My first bus would be the GMC "old look" TDM4507,  built 1946-1949 and lasting into the 1960s.  The model was used both in intercity and transit service throughout the United States, including the (at the time) Territory of Hawaii.  You can see the full roster here:

http://www.omot.org/roster/GMOldLookList/tdhm4507.html

The kit would be sold through the ESM website (item number to be determined).  If the market exists, there would be at least two more bus kits to follow - including the iconic PD4501 Scenicruiser.  The TDH5304 "new look" Fishbowl bus from the 1960s would have been on the list, but I think someone already offers that model.

I'm looking at a maximum run of 50 kits per bus model.  How many folks here would be interested in a series of bus resin kits in general, and the TDM4507 specifically?



Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »
0
With a 1948ish era I would go for one.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:49:21 AM »
0
Bryan, I would be interested just to support the cause as I did when CMW and Trainworx offered MBTA busses. We modern modelers do NEED a quality RTS bus and this should be high on your list to such a project
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:02:29 AM »
0
I would be in for both the 1960s PD4501 Scenicruiser and TDH5304 "new look" Fishbowl bus. The latter being the most interesting to me (at least 3 of the fishbowl for me, thanks), and I don't know of anyone doing it, at least one that appealed to my level of detail.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Guilford Guy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 633
  • Gender: Male
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:22:53 AM »
0
Aye, count me in!
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight


bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »
0
Surprisingly, even though they are identified with the 1960s and 1970s, the Scenicruiser built-dates are 1954 to 1956 and the model was exclusive to Greyhound, which happens to be perfect for my 1956 timeframe.

I'll see if I can dig up the link to the current Fishbowl model.  It was decent from what I remember.

Dan, NScaleWorld offers resin models of modern buses on eBay regularly:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2000s-American-Touring-Bus-N-Scale-1-160-/260812374561?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3cb9a10221
http://cgi.ebay.com/2000s-American-Touring-Bus-N-Scale-1-160-/250849269807?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3a67c8182f
http://cgi.ebay.com/2000s-American-Touring-Bus-W-Auto-Trailer-N-Scale-/260814577861?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3cb9c2a0c5
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »
0
Bryan,
  One other thing that is needed is a simple Bluebird school bus in a few different lengths. It's a little modern for me but I started looking for one to put on my RBBB circus train and there is really nothing out there other than some toys and a sloppy resin cast on Ebay.
Tony Hines

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
0
Blue Bird has been making school buses for 80 years and still does.  That's a lot of school bus designs from which to guess which era would be the most appealing to everyone.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
0
The two most prevelant are the:

 Conventional - at least the 70's till present with a few different hoods depending on power.

http://pictures.dealer.com/s/sonnymerryman/1402/5e7aca414046387201c81ac0bf0f1274.jpg

 American - a little later till present

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/257809590/Seattle_School_Buses_1999_Blue_Bird.jpg

An early 40's or 50's version would be nice also. The company started in 1938.
Tony Hines

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
0
Tony,

I'm still unclear as to whether MakeMyModel exists or not but - http://www.makemymodel.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=292&osCsid=63d6802472534d195b89467ecd3cf722 (It seems strange if they don't and still have their website up).

Also, I know I have seen a N scale flat faced Bluebird model advertised. If you have a Walthers catalog floating around, I think that's where I've seen it. Here's a 2nd gen casting being offered - http://cgi.ebay.com/Pirate-Models-Bluebird-1975-School-Bus-N-scale-Kit-/300571432016?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item45fb741450

For those looking for contemporary city bus, there's this 2nd gen casting as well - http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Scale-GMC-RTS-II-Transit-Bus-Kit-Pirate-Models-disc-/280708749720?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-220%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D300571432016%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1292254824381461115
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:23:07 AM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
0
Unfortunately, Make My Model and Pirate are no longer valid options. I tried to order the Pirate years ago for a customer and never saw it materialize. That Ebay listing is the first time I have actually seen one. I was beginning to believe it was vaporware.
Tony Hines

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »
0
The two most prevelant are the:

 Conventional - at least the 70's till present with a few different hoods depending on power.

http://pictures.dealer.com/s/sonnymerryman/1402/5e7aca414046387201c81ac0bf0f1274.jpg

The body in this photo goes back to the 60s (when I was a kid). This kind of school bus body (more or less) pretty much stayed intact at least into the 90s (my kids rode). Different fronts on them - Intl, Ford, GMC, etc. Is that a Wayne body?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:23:54 PM by Mark5 »


sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
0
Make sure you make a short bus version, for my old times sake.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Roger Holmes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1270
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +739
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »
0
I just received the Dan's Scenicruiser that I bought on eBay.  A decent casting but all of the graphics were hand painted--very good for hand painting but not up to decal or pad printed quality.  Unfortunately because of that it is not going to be a foreground model.

Brian--I'd be interested in a fishbowl bus.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Another "special project" question
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
0
Wasn't there a scenicruiser done many years ago?  Believe by Bachmann.  I've got one stashede somewhere but it looked way undersize for N.