Author Topic: TLT Newsprint Cars  (Read 11898 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
0
I don't buy it. It's not that hard, as a retailer, to drop the manufacturer an email and request higher res artwork, which almost definitely was produced to create the thumbnail images posted. There's always taking a pic yourself too. I am pretty sure MBK does that for many of its products. And it seems from some of the posts on how to photograph models that have been placed on Railwire, it's really not all that hard or requires all that much expense. In the end, it's a matter of customer service.

I think I'll drop Shane a note about carrying these cars. MBK has better prices than George to boot.

If you're gonna bash George/Wig-Wag, at least do it on Atlas where he can defend himself.   ::)

I find it interesting that you're comparing poor photos on one site to another site that doesn't even stock the cars at all.  If you're that hung up on those photos (which I doubt) send me examples of the cars and I'll photograph them and send them to George. (and send the cars back to you.)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
0
Ride height is the only issue and we know that body mounts and filing the bolster will solve that.

The BLMA trucks do the job without the filing... oh wait, still out of stock at CVR, I checked Monday.

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
0
Here's one of the new Pacific Great Eastern cars in service on the Samuel Ridge.

I am very happy with the car - it's 99.9% accurate for the cars found in both the Canadian Railcar Pictoral series book on the PGE and the photo in the Canadian Railways Volume 2 Morning Sun book.

The colour out of the box is very close and a little weathering make it quite attractive (I think anyway)

Ride height is the only issue and we know that body mounts and filing the bolster will solve that.

Nice car.

neat, yep that's door style I have on my PGE car too.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
0
Has anyone else received info on the corrected shells for the old run?
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

jsoflo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 218
  • Respect: +23
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »
0
Will the BLMA trucks work on these without filing the frame or putting a spacer ring in? (if so I did a lot of unnecessary filing of old MDC floors I installed!!)

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
0
Will the BLMA trucks work on these without filing the frame or putting a spacer ring in? (if so I did a lot of unnecessary filing of old MDC floors I installed!!)

I literally just did one (and BM'ed a coupler) with a BLMA 70T. Lowers about ~6" with no filing and no obstructions between floor and wheels. I think it'd look better a little bit lower, but I'm gonna leave it as is.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
0
I have a couple on the way.  I'm going to try the BLMA solution and lower the car further, and bodymount 2004 knuckles in 1015 boxes to avoid compromising the end detail if necessary.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 03:53:12 PM »
0
The BLMA trucks don't lower it enough... still has that 4x4 look to it. Also had to trim the top of the floor a little to get the body to sit properly at one end; the end details protrude into the floor and caused it to sit high.

I cheaped out and cut the coupler boxes off the trucks and mounted those. Ok, but the fat box really restricts the turn radius. Is there a narrower box available? Probably a moot point as I'm kinda waiting for a new coupler to be announced.

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
0
One thing I found - was that you could really lower the car nicely by swapping out the underframe for an Atlas FGE boxcar frame - but of course this messes up the truck centers.

It required some slicing and dicing to work.

I've also done this to FVM boxcars with good results.

It's really annoying that such an otherwise nice car requires so much putzing around.

Lou


sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 08:34:03 PM »
0
If you're gonna bash George/Wig-Wag, at least do it on Atlas where he can defend himself.   ::)

I find it interesting that you're comparing poor photos on one site to another site that doesn't even stock the cars at all.  If you're that hung up on those photos (which I doubt) send me examples of the cars and I'll photograph them and send them to George. (and send the cars back to you.)

Um yeah, hold on, let me do George's job for him, not. As for George not being on RW, it's not like he can't. This is were the post started and I'm too lazy to take it to his doorstep. You go ahead and let him know someone's picking on him... but remember this isn't the first time I've griped about image quality or sellers not providing enough info to make an informed buying decision. I imagine it won't be the last either.

You can't know this since you weren't there when I did, but I've complained to MBK too, that they need to post even larger images than they do so us disabled folk can see the build date. But since they're close by, I can go see personally if I remember my magnifying glass. When I move out of the B'more area, I'll probably say something online about them as well, if they don't do what I want  ;D. With WW, I can't go see the cars because I don't live in ABQ anymore. I used to when I did and he wasn't the best at customer service or pricing then either (now, that was a bash).

BTW, rather than email him to get the build dates though, I emailed MBK to get them to carry the cars. Like I said, they're cheaper, and that's just the truth, not a bash.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jsoflo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 218
  • Respect: +23
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
0
For the BLMA couplers I was able to use a MT Z scale coupler without interference on pretty sharp curves on my Ortner hoppers.

For these I removed the old floors and installed some old MDC floors, they align well and take a minimum of filing to fit, here is one I did (although it is hard to gauge the ride height, you can see it is sitting down over the truck rather than completely exposed:



I am unsure how the MDC floors compare to the Atlas, maybe someone else can compare?

my best,
Jan

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »
0
Jan - great idea on the MDC floors - I have a bunch of them lying around!

I remember the Atlas floor required a LOT of filing - I'll give your idea a try!

Lou

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »
0
Um yeah, hold on, let me do George's job for him, not. As for George not being on RW, it's not like he can't. This is were the post started and I'm too lazy to take it to his doorstep. You go ahead and let him know someone's picking on him... but remember this isn't the first time I've griped about image quality or sellers not providing enough info to make an informed buying decision. I imagine it won't be the last either.

You can't know this since you weren't there when I did, but I've complained to MBK too, that they need to post even larger images than they do so us disabled folk can see the build date. But since they're close by, I can go see personally if I remember my magnifying glass. When I move out of the B'more area, I'll probably say something online about them as well, if they don't do what I want  ;D. With WW, I can't go see the cars because I don't live in ABQ anymore. I used to when I did and he wasn't the best at customer service or pricing then either (now, that was a bash).

BTW, rather than email him to get the build dates though, I emailed MBK to get them to carry the cars. Like I said, they're cheaper, and that's just the truth, not a bash.

Like I said, I don't expect that you really even care about the graphics.  It's just fashionable to bash Wig-Wag on this forum and you're piling on....have at it.   I don't care about that really and I doubt he'd care if I did say anything to him.   Just figured I'd offer to help you fix the graphics if it really meant that much to you, which....once again....it's obvious it doesn't.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 09:34:28 AM »
0
Like I said, I don't expect that you really even care about the graphics...   Just figured I'd offer to help you fix the graphics if it really meant that much to you, which....once again....it's obvious it doesn't.

You expect wrongly, I am adamant about not buying rolling stock that is correct for 1970. It it says 1971 on it, I don't buy it. But seriously Doug, why would I want to help WW? It's their business, let them run it as they wish, but I'm not going to provide them a service. I spent 20 years working in the nonprofit sector and I can tell you, my goodwill days are over.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
0
Then don't buy the TLT cars but stop hijacking a good thread with your personal issues. You don't like a vendor, then don't deal with them and please don't make a TLT thread about your issue with them or others.

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!