Author Topic: TLT Newsprint Cars  (Read 11900 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 11:18:58 PM »
0
George is carrying them, but the BCOL's are not listed:
http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/True-Line/True-Line_Newsprint-Box%20_Product-Page.htm

I should have been 'pacific....anyone but George.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »
0
George is carrying them, but the BCOL's are not listed:
http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/True-Line/True-Line_Newsprint-Box%20_Product-Page.htm

Is Wig-Wag serious? Is the customer supposed to be able to order from those images of the new cars? They're crap and, come on, the Boise image is reversed.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »
0
IIRC, the images are artwork from when the run was announced and images of the actual cars weren't available. I don't really know the wheres and whys since I don't work there.

As far as US sales are concerned, it seems to me that not many shops are carrying the TLT newsprint boxes (I know MBK isn't), so if you want them, you can order from George, Canadian sites PWRS or Credit Valley, come to Canada and drop by an LHS, or do without.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:49:03 AM by lock4244 »

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
0
IIRC, the images are artwork from when the run was announced and images of the actual cars weren't available. I don't really know the wheres and whys since I don't work there.

As far as US sales are concerned, it seems to me that not many shops are carrying the TLT newsprint boxes (I know MBK isn't), so if you want them, you can order from George, Canadian sites PWRS or Credit Valley, come to Canada and drop by an LHS, or do without.

Hummm...good excuse for me to cross the border and its a short drive...I did need an excuse to visit the Quebec "Gentleman's Bars".

I'll try Credit Valley.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
0
Hummm...good excuse for me to cross the border and its a short drive...I did need an excuse to visit the Quebec "Gentleman's Bars".

I'll try Credit Valley.

Ok; meet you at Chez Paris; Saturday; 'bout 0200; I'll be in the big booth beside the fire exit; ask Francois to find me... after that we'll get a couple steamies, a smoked meat, extra dill and a few Laurentide.........then we'll hit Timmy's until Hobby Junction opens for their sludge-offee and watch the three mains......k ?

"Snicker"............................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
0
Sorry, Club Super Sexe or your waisting your time. Two stages = double the fun.

PS, to keep on topic I checked, they don't carry TLT boxes.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
0
Sorry, Club Super Sexe or your waisting your time. Two stages = double the fun.

PS, to keep on topic I checked, they don't carry TLT boxes.


Atta boy.


Gotta hit up Duval as well.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »
0
IIRC, the images are artwork from when the run was announced and images of the actual cars weren't available. I don't really know the wheres and whys since I don't work there.

As far as US sales are concerned, it seems to me that not many shops are carrying the TLT newsprint boxes (I know MBK isn't), so if you want them, you can order from George, Canadian sites PWRS or Credit Valley, come to Canada and drop by an LHS, or do without.

I don't buy it. It's not that hard, as a retailer, to drop the manufacturer an email and request higher res artwork, which almost definitely was produced to create the thumbnail images posted. There's always taking a pic yourself too. I am pretty sure MBK does that for many of its products. And it seems from some of the posts on how to photograph models that have been placed on Railwire, it's really not all that hard or requires all that much expense. In the end, it's a matter of customer service.

I think I'll drop Shane a note about carrying these cars. MBK has better prices than George to boot.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
0

Atta boy.


Gotta hit up Duval as well.

Go where the drinks cost more... keeps the 18 year old brats from Boston out  ::)

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »
0
Quote
I'm told by the expert that the trucks should be Bettendorfs rather than the roller bearing ones that they come with

Simon:

Please disregard what I told you - obviously I was already feeling the effects of the flu which has since kept me in bed for two days.  I checked my notes and all of the PGE newsprint boxcars were delivered with 70 ton roller bearing trucks.


For the benefit of all, the PGE and BCOL sets were divided into two cars with the Camel internal frame (flush) door and four cars with the Youngstown external frame (recessed) door.  This was done to duplicate the ratio between these two series of cars on the railway.  We used the builders photographs as a reference for the PGE cars and I consulted the railway's card file at the museum in Squamish and the BC Rail Rat tables to choose car numbers which survived into the 46000 rebuild program in 1989.  This means that these cars ran in their original livery from 1967/1969 to 1989.

For the BCOL cars I reviewed numerous photographs and spent some time cataloguing the variations in stencilling for the light green dogwood scheme.  We eventually settled on a variation in effect from approximately 4-72 to 3-74.  We used a photograph of BCOL 4637 which I had taken in January 1988:




I then referred to other people's photographs and to the card file to obtain car numbers which had been repainted at approximately the same time, and which would have received the same stencilling layout.

Greg Kennelly prepared the artwork for True-Line Trains, and the result is some very accurate models from them.

The lack of quality photographs of these models is a problem for distributors who are trying to sell them, and for modellers who are contemplating buying them.  I do not have any of these cars yet myself; when I do I will be happy to photograph them and post them here for others to see.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »
0
Go where the drinks cost more... keeps the 18 year old brats from Boston out  ::)

I deal with Massholes on a daily basis...I have no problem bouncing the brim of my campaign hat off their foreheads!  ;D
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 07:33:27 PM »
0
Simon:

Please disregard what I told you - obviously I was already feeling the effects of the flu which has since kept me in bed for two days.  I checked my notes and all of the PGE newsprint boxcars were delivered with 70 ton roller bearing trucks.
The lack of quality photographs of these models is a problem for distributors who are trying to sell them, and for modellers who are contemplating buying them.  I do not have any of these cars yet myself; when I do I will be happy to photograph them and post them here for others to see.


Tim


No problem, glad we have that cleared up. Let me know when you're feeling well enough and I'll bring my cars up so you can photograph them. I have one each of the door styles in green and one of the PGE cars.

Hope you feel better soon.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
0
I exchanged a few emails with Darren today. He seemed to have forgotten I had ordered the shells, now there seems to be some question as to wether the new shells will be available with the old paint scheme... then he stoppd responding. I'll try and get some more info tomorrow.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »
0
Quote
Let me know when you're feeling well enough and I'll bring my cars up so you can photograph them.

Good idea.  I am feeling a lot better this afternoon and hope to return to work tomorrow.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
0
Here's one of the new Pacific Great Eastern cars in service on the Samuel Ridge.



I am very happy with the car - it's 99.9% accurate for the cars found in both the Canadian Railcar Pictoral series book on the PGE and the photo in the Canadian Railways Volume 2 Morning Sun book.

The colour out of the box is very close and a little weathering make it quite attractive (I think anyway)

Ride height is the only issue and we know that body mounts and filing the bolster will solve that.

Nice car.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!