Author Topic: TLT Newsprint Cars  (Read 11895 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ljudice

  • Guest
TLT Newsprint Cars
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »
0
Looks like the second run is out:


http://cgi.ebay.com/TLT-600057-DW-P-50-NEWSPRINT-CAR-/300473085065?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item45f5976c89


I'm assuming the door runner is fixed - although it still seems to go further to the left than I've seen on other cars...???

Also the mask lines on the yellow door seem dodgy???
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:04:03 AM by ljudice »

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »
0
Mask lines look really poorly done. Reminds me of the LBF masking on the TTX cars.  ::)

At least I'm in for the green CP and brown CN cars so no masking issues for me.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
0
No way of knowing if they also fixed the CP Rail artwork.  Judging by both sides of the CN cars being shown by this seller and only one CP Rail side being shown, my guess is that it wasn't corrected.  I'll wait until BLW has them in stock and we can see both sides of the car.  At this point, I might go for one of the CN cars, just to have a representative of what should be a common car on a Conrail-era layout roster.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


ljudice

  • Guest
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »
0
I'm thinking a little weathering would handle the door mask problem...  it could be as opportune place to have such a problem as you could get.

I will certainly take a look at CP - given that I pass over that roadname in the first run.


Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
0
Just picked up two PGE cars from my LHS - they are a damn near dead ringer for the cars shown in the Canadian Railcar Pictorial, volume 9 -  Pacific Great Eastern. Page 26. (what would you expect this time, Tim Horton consulted and was listened too....) The door is correct; the top rail does extend one panel to the left while the bottom doesn't. The sill is a wee bit different, but it's to cover the bolster mount. The lettering look excellent, at first glance and the car is nicely made. It still rides higher than I'd like but that's a function of using MT trucks w/ couplers. If you body mount then you can lower.

I saw all the others but paid little attention as I was also picking up some Rapido CP coaches (drool....)

Now I really must post my wife and son on E Bay to pay for all this, so if you'll excuse me.............. ;)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »
0
Why mask the door at all? It is a seperate part from the body.

No word yet if the corrected shells from the first one are in.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »
0
Why mask the door at all? It is a seperate part from the body.

No word yet if the corrected shells from the first one are in.

My understanding, and I do not remember where I saw this, was that so few people subscribed to the replacement programs that it was haulted....but I may well be wrong.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
0
I hope not. It was still in effect a few months ago when I talked to Darren. I want my 12 replacements!
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
0
I hope not. It was still in effect a few months ago when I talked to Darren. I want my 12 replacements!

As I said, I am quite possibly, and hopefully, wrong..... e-mail Darren and find out; cause I want my three too..........
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
0
Picked up 3 of the new ones yesterday at the Victoria trains show, 2 nice BCOL light green ones (2 door styles) and a PGE one, all very nice but I'm told by the expert that the trucks should be Bettendorfs rather than the roller bearing ones that they come with - easy swap and good for me as I have spare BDs and often need RBs for things.


Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
0
Where is a good place to order these from? My Fav's dont have em.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
0
Picked up 3 of the new ones yesterday at the Victoria trains show, 2 nice BCOL light green ones (2 door styles) and a PGE one, all very nice but I'm told by the expert that the trucks should be Bettendorfs rather than the roller bearing ones that they come with - easy swap and good for me as I have spare BDs and often need RBs for things.



I'm no expert, but in this photo of one of the series TLT has done, taken in 1989, they look to be roller bearing trucks to me. They also look to be 100T, but I'm basing that, again, on limited knowledge and there seems to be an exception to every rule at anyrate.

And what is to say that they were'nt delivered on friction bearing trucks and they were replaced with RB's at some point before 1989?

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=16808&g2_imageViewsIndex=2

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:13:31 PM »
0
Where is a good place to order these from? My Fav's dont have em.

George is carrying them, but the BCOL's are not listed:
http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/True-Line/True-Line_Newsprint-Box%20_Product-Page.htm

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »
0

And what is to say that they were'nt delivered on friction bearing trucks and they were replaced with RB's at some point before 1989?


That's probably the case, no doubt Tim will clear this one up when he's next online. I'm assuming that the PGE livered versions should have the BDs in their as delivered state, and it's probably date dependent for the BCOL ones.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:17 PM »
0
George is carrying them, but the BCOL's are not listed:
http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/True-Line/True-Line_Newsprint-Box%20_Product-Page.htm

I see that Wig-Wag has the first release still listed.  I might break down and buy one CN and one CV, and fix the door tracks myself as well as lower the car and body-mount the couplers.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale