Author Topic: Kato September Announcements  (Read 21778 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11601
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
0
The E8/E9 issue is a non-issue, I believe the only differences were internal (please correct me someone if this is incorrect).

Ryan87

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 799
  • Gender: Male
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »
0
The E8/E9 issue is a non-issue, I believe the only differences were internal (please correct me someone if this is incorrect).

A Rubber Gasket around the headlight, besides that they are identical...
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

jmlaboda - RIP

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2181
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »
0
The disposition of the former PRR 21 Roomette cars were to commuter agencies (Marc comes to mind right off) and to... Ringling Bros.  The cars sold to Panarail (operator of the passenger train on the Panama RR.) were the 56-seat coach - smoker lounge cars, some of which have ended up under the ownership of private owners who use them for excursions and specials.

The 12-4 sleeper is a bit more of a problem.  Wasn't sure when I posted to the Varnish List but all of the Brook-series cars were retired by 1967 so none saw use as PC revenue cars.

As for the Amtrak train goes... it should have more coaches than sleepers no matter how you stack it... by the advent of Amtrak there were no AMTK trains running with only sleepers, except on the rare occasion (long since past) that a second section was necessary.  Only on the rare occasion would the coaches be separated from the sleepers.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
0
So the Amtrak PhI cars would not be correct for use on the Malpe Leaf into Toronto in the 1987/89 era? Tempting, very tempting.

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5403
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
0

The 12-4 sleeper is a bit more of a problem.  Wasn't sure when I posted to the Varnish List but all of the Brook-series cars were retired by 1967 so none saw use as PC revenue cars.


Jerry-

Kato car is Creek series, and they chose a Creek series name for the PC release.  Here's a photo from some Passenger Car Photo Index site that somebody named Jerry  ;) runs:


Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5403
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:41 PM »
0


Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5403
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »
0
Here's the ex-UP coach in PC green:

http://rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc-c3005cza.jpg

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5403
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »
0

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2010, 03:33:18 PM »
0
Jerry-

Kato car is Creek series, and they chose a Creek series name for the PC release.  Here's a photo from some Passenger Car Photo Index site that somebody named Jerry  ;) runs:



I think Kato needs to supply more info - this car does not appear to be in the artwork:


On the 21 Roomettes, 1963 I think was when they were rebuilt, and lost their names. Hard to tell from the artwork, but it appears Kato is giving them numbers that would correlate to this (needs confirmation)


bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6188
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2010, 03:37:27 PM »
0
Jerry LaBoda on the N scale varnish list pointed out a little "oops" on the 21 roomettes in the PC train:

One problem with the 21 Roomette car... by the time they were PC PRR had
already rebuilt them to commuter coaches, along with 20 ex-N&W smooth sided
Budd 10-6s (truly smooth sided, the only of their kind save for more modern
rebuilts... all others had slab-sides).


The venue may not be right, but the car is still accurate.  I'm pretty sure the exterior of the roomettes remained unchanged when they were converted to coaches.  I photographed one of the ex-Roomette cars in Lebanon NJ for Kato when they were collecting data on the Broadway.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
0

I think Kato needs to supply more info - this car does not appear to be in the artwork:


It's the maroon one in the middle.   ;)

Here's the Kato Creek series.






Jason

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
0
I agree, Kato needs to offer the Maxi-I's without containers.  It wasn't QUITE as bad with the Maxi-IV's where you're only paying for 6 containers, but the Maxi-I's ring you up for TEN....and as was mentioned pretty worthless for BNSF modelers.  As much as I want a Maxi-I, I think I'll hold off till the next run and see if they release some Hyundai's or something along those lines.  $135 is just too steep when I can't use the containers.  Not sure if there will be a secondary market for the APL's or not.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
0
Ahh, so it's one of those weirdo cars with vastly different sides ...



FrankCampagna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 999
  • Respect: 0
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
0
If I recall, Kato complained of slow sales of the Broadway. It may be that these sets are just retreads to recoup part of their investment. Not a bad idea. I'm looking at a PC set to add my Walthers NYC coaches. Just don't need a lot of sleepers. Due around my birthday.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5403
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
0
Ahh, so it's one of those weirdo cars with vastly different sides ...

Us railroad guys call those cars with different sides "passenger cars".   ;D