Author Topic: Kato September Announcements  (Read 19658 times)

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:52 AM »
Any chance you could get way with running the Amtrak loco with the PC coaches?

Yes. Amtrak took over PC's routes and equipment. Throw in some other roads for fun, if you want. There are videos of the Penn Central and early Amtrak era on Youtube. You can also buy videos. Interesting era.
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2010, 08:26:58 AM »
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=270048&nseq=31
Time to hassle Rapido into doing the Osgood Bradleys in N!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=240960&nseq=45
Now isnt that interesting....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:29:35 AM by Leggy »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2010, 08:41:09 AM »
I was told from the source they are in the pipeline, but a couple of years away.  Definitely let Rapido know you want them, as every little tickle might help push them up on the schedule.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=240960&nseq=45
Now isnt that interesting....

What were the build dates on those Tubes? I thought they came out in the late 70's not 1972? Looks like Kato might get some more $$$ from me if that's the case.... Ed what say you?

The S.

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
I believe the Amcoaches came out in the early seventies, about the same time as the SDP40F. They were based on the Metroliner carbody, which came out late in the PRR era.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
Here's a fairly decent site with lots of Amtrak photos and some history.  Check out the early amtrak photos.  Some great shots.

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/index.html

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
According to Amtrak's employee newsletter "Amtrak INK" the first fleets of Amfleets went into service on Aug 7 1975.  "August, 7 1975 Amfleet cars enter service on the Northeast Corridor. They were ordered, along with 70 additional SDP40s from EMD and 11 E60s from General Electric, on Oct. 12, 1973."

Link to PDF File version

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1249213842811&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment;filename=Amtrak_AmtrakInk-082310.pdf
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Lehmannmws82

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
Do they plan to add more sets in the future, or is it looking like a 4 piece passenger train with an E? Either way, they already got my pre order.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
OK, so there was some grumbling regarding having to buy the containers with the Maxi-I sets.  I offered the APL containers from the set, which I don't need, for $3 each plus shipping in the Trading Post section.  Currently I have one taker plus one on deck, then another offer came in for containers to fill that request. (assuming that offer was based on my initial offer price plus shipping)   So we have:
Denver Road Doug-->Containers going to-->TivoPrince
James Costello-->Containers going to-->TrainForFun

I wanted to post this here since the Trading Post topics get purged and we might not remember who was interested in the transactions.  If anybody else wants in at this price (buying or selling) then post to the Trading Post and I'll add it to this post for backup purposes.  (I think at some point this post gets locked, too?  If so, I'll just add another reply)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Not sure if it's a true 'Metroliner', but Pennsy had something really similar in service into DC. I vaguely remember PC ripping the caternary off of these and using them straight up. I think...

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
Bryan, you're thinking about Amtrak, who turned a number of the original Metroliner cars into cab control cars.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:53 PM »
Bryan, you're thinking about Amtrak, who turned a number of the original Metroliner cars into cab control cars.

Then what happened to the cars in the picture? Aren't they Metroliner-like? Obviously Budd products and set-up for push-pull.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

ljudice

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
Geezzz.... let me straighten you guys out!

That IS a Metroliner. The original metroliners were EMU's  - electric multiple unit cars - all self propelled.  No locos!

They were DELIVERED to the Pennsy as part of the first US High Speed Rail project.  I believe the Turbotrains were delivered to PC/NH shortly after the merger.

They did NOT damage the catenary - what they did do was rip the windows off of MP54 MU cars. That is why in the 1960's all their windows were replaced.

A batch of Metroliners sat idle for years - these were intended for NY-Harrisburg service. Eventually all were put into service.

At some point the cars were rebuilt - I believe some of the electricals were moved to the roof. Then the EMU's were reassigned to PHL-HBG service only. And the Amfleets with AEM7's became "Metroliners".

Some Metroliners were also rebuilt into other things like cab control cars for the San Diego - SLO Coast trains. I think one even became a "business car" or "inspection car".

But the original metroliners were the PRR EMU's as shown above!

- Lou

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:10:17 PM by ljudice »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »
Not sure if it's a true 'Metroliner', but Pennsy had something really similar in service into DC. I vaguely remember PC ripping the caternary off of these and using them straight up. I think...

As Lou said, those are the original Metroliners.  The Metroliner project was started by the PRR after some of the Budd Silverliers were put into experimental service between Philadelphia and Harrisburg.  The concept was to build MU trains that were designed for a more comfortable intercity ride than the pack-em-in Silverliners, that would be cheaper to operate.  In operation, the Metroliner proved to be much more expensive to operate when compared to traditional locomotive-hauled intercity trains, and the Metroliner MU cars were not in operation until after the PC merger.  As Ed said, Amtrak converted several of the original MU cars to cab cars.  Their lasting legacy: the AmTubes were designed to match them, so in the end we have the PRR to thank for look of passenger travel on the NEC today.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
Here's a Metroliner that resides at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania:

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society