Author Topic: Kato September Announcements  (Read 21779 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12265
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11721
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
0
Oh man, both those passenger sets are very appealing to me.

Ed, if I'm not mistaken, you and I both already picked up the Walthers 10-6 sleeper in Amtrak Phase 1 on our CRHS RBQ MKB trip:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-6844

I'm was guessing that the 10-6 Kato is offering was the smooth-side Rapids series car from the Broadway set, but in fact it's listed as ex-Super Chief and California Zephyr equipment, so they're corrugated like the one I have.

I also have the Walthers 64-seat coach.  My plan for the moment is to flesh out my Amtrak train with singles.  Right now my money's headed for the PC coach set.  Now...  which of the locos to get?

Oh, and that PC set would ROCK with a Hell Gate Models B60b in Tuscan with yellow worms!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:00:46 PM by Dave Vollmer »

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
0
Would the Amtrak train have a coach in it, at least in the form that they are shooting for? It is advertised as a long distance, NY to Chicago train if you believe BLW.
Tony Hines

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6763
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »
0
Gary, as Traincat has the design work done for a Maxi-I, Bob may also be able to design up a detailing set for these too....

Great idea, assuming he's not pissed @ Kato for the Maxi-I...   ::)  In combination with the GMM detail set, a carefully designed set could cover -Is, -IIIs, and -IVs.

I see we're looking at $135 MSRP for the Maxi-I.   :-[  I'd just assume not have the containers and save a few bucks (assuming Deluxe ever gets back in the game).  I for one find the Kato 40' containers to be a bit clunky compared to Deluxe, and I've gotten used to finishing the door hardware myself.

-gfh

jsoflo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 218
  • Respect: +23
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
0
Gary,
Agreed, $135 MSRP is gonna be rough, but I know I'm gonna get one! I'd prefer no containers as well, although with pre-loaded magnets and door hardware Kato is saving me some work! The only problem is that if the containers on the most recent Maxi IV's are any indication we may be looking at 10 APL containers with the same road number, ugh. I wonder if they will also use the same articulation system as on the Maxi IV? I would guess they would.

I am somewhat surprised by this announcement also- I would have thought Kato was gonna bust out more reporting marks for the Maxi IV before anything else (such as AOK or NOKL etc.) especially to take advantage of Deluxe's delays. Still, while the MSRP looks high for a ton of sales, I have to hand it to them, they are really cornering the intermodal market until BLMA's TOFC offerings arrive. I am very excited about this announcement, but I also feel for Dave at DI, its got to be frustrating not to be able to get his stuff to the market as fast as he'd like.

Anyway, just some stream of concious thoughts, this should be a great addition to the intermodal fleet and its only 5-6 months away- got to start saving now!
my best,
Jan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:54:52 PM by jsoflo »

stuntman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 88
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 11:40:26 PM »
0
  Figures...... I bash a Maxi I and Kato does the darned things.      I ordered one, But I may just continue with my plans to kitbash my fleet at $135 a pop. ::)

Rich Reinhart

  • Guest
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2010, 07:24:37 AM »
0
The PC E 8 and the coaches are a must have for me..

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12265
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11721
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2010, 07:36:43 AM »
0
Would the Amtrak train have a coach in it, at least in the form that they are shooting for? It is advertised as a long distance, NY to Chicago train if you believe BLW.

The Broadway was downgraded from all-Pullman to include coach service in its last year of service under Pennsy.  By Penn Central and later Amtrak, the Broadway always had coaches.  The 1980 Amtrak consist was almost all coach with only 3 sleepers.  The other trains on the route ran during the day.

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6763
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »
0
Given their newfound love for PC, I think Kato now needs a new line of Unitrack to go with it: 39' sectional track with worn rails and mud & weeds for roadbed.  

But seriously, I'm impressed with how many products Kato has announced and released in the past 1-2 years.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:42 AM »
0
Jerry LaBoda on the N scale varnish list pointed out a little "oops" on the 21 roomettes in the PC train:

One problem with the 21 Roomette car... by the time they were PC PRR had
already rebuilt them to commuter coaches, along with 20 ex-N&W smooth sided
Budd 10-6s (truly smooth sided, the only of their kind save for more modern
rebuilts... all others had slab-sides).


Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11601
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
0
Given their newfound love for PC, I think Kato now needs a new line of Unitrack to go with it: 39' sectional track with worn rails and mud & weeds for roadbed. 

They could come with the "standing derailment" accessory. When you hit a button, the rail rolls over.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »
0
They could come with the "standing derailment" accessory. When you hit a button, the rail rolls over.

ROTFLMAO
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
0
Was just looking at a book on the Broadway and came across photos of it being headed by a blue Conrail E unit leaving Chicago.  Have also seen photos of Conrail freight units helping the Broadway up the Horseshoe Curve.  These releases opens up some great modeling oppportunities for that time period.  Just need some ex UP, DRGW and RI coaches to add to the Amtrak trains.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
0
Jerry LaBoda on the N scale varnish list pointed out a little "oops" on the 21 roomettes in the PC train:

One problem with the 21 Roomette car... by the time they were PC PRR had
already rebuilt them to commuter coaches, along with 20 ex-N&W smooth sided
Budd 10-6s (truly smooth sided, the only of their kind save for more modern
rebuilts... all others had slab-sides).


So; in other words; Kato has a foobie on their hands...no; two foobies; if one considers the E8 vs E9 issue.....does it matter...not to me; but as we all like to bash those who "foobie-ize" models I just thought I'd ask....

I know; Mr. Kato-hater is at it again....(evil laugh in background)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »
0
They could come with the "standing derailment" accessory. When you hit a button, the rail rolls over.

These are CN cars - right ???????
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
0
Could always use those ex PRR cars as coaches.  They were around for awhile and I think some went to the other PRR (Panama Railroad).