Author Topic: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?  (Read 12046 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
0
I kinda see what ExactRail's guy was talking about. ER works with Athearn and several other manufacturers. They all know whats going on. BLMA seems to play it close to their chest... That's why there are few leaks, big announcements and big fanfare when they announce something new. This is the second time ER was scooped. Maybe I would feel the same way if someone kept coming out with the same product just before I did.

Propably just a coincidence. I think ER, being second fiddle in this solo performance, should have changed to a different prototype (Tropicana?) instead of the EXACT same car.

I think ER should start listening to N scale modelers a bit more. They released some head scratchers... 46' modern gondolas. Really? You think those would sell out? Lets see some releases of their current cars in new paint schemes. Lets see some waffles!
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
0
I interpreted it as Exact Rail's VP making an unfounded accusation.  So if Craig was in China at the time, there is no way to really prove he saw ER's product.  So why write that on a public forum?

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:11 AM »
0
It seems to me that if ER has some sort of issue - BLMA being secretive (and ER isn't???) - and this crazy claim about industrial spying - they should do it person to person - or through their lawyer (if they have proof).

But to make the claim on the internet is INSANE.  It makes ER look petulant and immature. BLMA looks so much more professional - and in fact Craig put a note on T.O. that puts BLMA "above the fray" in this.

Frankly you have to wonder if choochooboy is doing this at the direction of the adults at ER or on his own...  

Re: Tropicana - from what I hear it's never going to happen - the company is owned by Pepsi and they put crazy requirements on the use of their logo.

BTW - I may be crazy - but I recall Craig discussing the Tropicana thing on Trainorders like a year ago. I remember storing away in my tiny brain the factoid "BLMA must be doing those modern reefers".  And on several forums, maybe not here - people speculated on this many times.  I thought it was an open "secret" that BLMA was doing this car. So I find it hard to believe ER didn't know about it.

I think this is something else.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:30:24 AM by ljudice »

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14004
  • Respect: +4179
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »
0
  I thought it was an open "secret" that BLMA was doing this car. So I find it hard to believe ER didn't know about it.

I think this is something else.


I certainly didn't know it, but then again, I don't roll in those circles ..

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »
0
John - you'd be surprised what you hear from the HO scalers!!!   ;D

sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »
0
Although ER makes some nice cars, I take what they say on the web with a grain of salt. This is the same guy who said there Trinity Hopper was superior to the one made by IM even though IM uses eche walkways and finer detail.

I am going to get BLMA cars because they announced first, plus those accusation kind of turn me off from ER.

Also the person that mention that the Tropicana cars are hard to make on the A HO board does not know that the older Tropicana cars that are still being used are being made by Red Caboose in N-scale with another run due out in September in the current Tropicana scheme for those cars. I think they are up to 48 numbers by now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:08:42 PM by sundowner »
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Craig Martyn

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 496
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »
0
Thanks for the support guys.

With all due respect, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes here.  For my friends here, you know and understand that we DO work closely with others; however, there are reasons we do not talk with some manufacturers.  I will leave it at that.

Bottom line is:  We cannot prevent competition - no one can.  Our goal is to provide you with the best product, innovation and service to make your product choice simple.  Ultimately, the consumer will decide who gets the sales and we appreciate/understand that to the fullest extent.  Without you guys, this wouldn't be possible.
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

pfs

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 571
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »
0
The accusation appears to be product was seen (In a mutual vendor warehouse) and an announcement was made 'early'.

I don't follow the time between announce and ship for anyone (including BLMA)... I'm sure if someone cares they can research the difference between the other announcements.


Craig Martyn

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 496
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »
0
The accusation appears to be product was seen (In a mutual vendor warehouse) and an announcement was made 'early'.

To put this to rest:  I was in China in May; we started this project in January...
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

pfs

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 571
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
0
The accusation appears to be product was seen (In a mutual vendor warehouse) and an announcement was made 'early'.

To put this to rest:  I was in China in May; we started this project in January...

I did not accuse you of anything and I was commenting of what I read on the A HO board, just an FYI

Based on what you have done in the past (products) I do not think anyone would assume you were not well into a project before announcement.

Regardless thank you for commenting, it is always nice to see manufactures paying attention, even when its not a pleasant subject matter for them.

Hyperion

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 992
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +19
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:33 PM »
0
The accusation appears to be product was seen (In a mutual vendor warehouse) and an announcement was made 'early'.

To put this to rest:  I was in China in May; we started this project in January...

I don't think the point was that you saw them and then started the process of making them (that wouldn't be the greatest idea ever).  But rather that they were seen and that caused you to announce your project earlier than you may have otherwise in order to beat ExactRail to the punch.

But, looking at your TopGons for example, it appears you announced those with about the same 10-12 month lead-time as these Reefers.  So it would seem to be in-line with past-practice.

Not that it would really matter anyway.  Sometimes competitors find out about your products.  If you can't prevent it or manage it, you need to just suck it up and deal with it, not go and whine about it to the general public and make wild accusation that really amount to nothing even if they are true.  It certainly dropped ExactRail a couple pegs in my opinion.

Ultimately, first to market usually wins (barring some utter, miserable failure).  So, unfortunately, it's likely to hurt BLMA far more than ExactRail.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:52:47 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

Mr. G

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 202
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 02:50:12 PM »
0
As for Blaine's accusation, why would you want to spend the time and money to develop a model after seeing that someone else is already on it?  It can only cut into your own sales.  This market is too small for that not to be a giant risk.  I've got to give Craig a bit more credit than that.
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »
0
Guys, I am pretty sure that Blaine's accusation was actually that someone saw the next run of Evans hopper cars and leaked the roadnames to Curt who in turn leaked them to the A-board.

It sounds like a fanciful pile of nonsense at best, and knowing the people involved, wouldn't believe it for a second.


Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »
0
Blaine is just being Blaine... keep in mind this guy posted on a public forum that he had a picture of a car (in regards to ERs latest run of HO NS P-S waffle sides) that proved that there was a prototype instance where the same car number and reporting mark was in two separate schemes concurrently ... yet never posted the picture. nor bothered to respond when called out on that numerous times

Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: BLMA & ExactRail 64' Reefer Box Car?
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »
0
But, looking at your TopGons for example, it appears you announced those with about the same 10-12 month lead-time as these Reefers.  So it would seem to be in-line with past-practice.

And both were announced at the NTS...