0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
NAFTA Strikes again . . . .Sorry John, I had to since we were talking about canadians making "U.S." auto parts . . . .
Lower shipping costs can go a long way to meeting that end...
I highly doubt much mfg will return here until all of the sweat shop nations erode their cost advantage thought higher taxes and wages.
ISeems to me if MTL can produce over here at a competitive price (their stuff is competitive IMO) then others can, too. Separately applied parts cost money and MTL does not have as many (for the most part)... comparing their covered hoppers to an IM or BLMA, the MTL are all one piece except for the plastic roofwalk and brakewheel. Those are easy to slap on compared to the ends of an IM covered hopper or the etched roofwalk with grabs. Just my musings, but labour and the taxes on labour is always the killer here.
I have enough cars, engines and building kits that if every manufacturer stopped making stuff, I could still die happy ..