Author Topic: this doesn't sound good...  (Read 12265 times)

ljudice

Re: this doesn't sound good...
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
I was under the impression that most of the upstart vendors in N were not in the Kader/Sanda Kan universe - that's why their products have been coming and coming and coming.

I mean really, do you think Kader would delay an Atlas product for something from a much smaller vendor?

Perhaps not , but that gives Kader the power to control whose companies excel or not . That sounds too powerful to me . They are not to be trusted if thats the way they do production runs . Fair is first come first served . It is time to cut them out of the game even if the cost go up some , which will happen anyway .

Richie Dost

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 09:23:26 AM »
If Bluford is in the tank on this, RMW might already have its first order... :o

Lee

Won't effect us in the least Lee. In fact, I expect the effects on N scale in general to be slight, if even noticeable at all. BTW, you can pick up a pad printing machine for the cost of a good used car. That's the easy part. The hard part is learning how to make good product from it. Expect to take months out of your life (I mean full-time, not an hour a day) and thousands in ruined plastic. Pad printing is a voodoo art with a dozen variables that often change daily. Not for the timid.

Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

That is good news. Closing in on 40 of those 86'ers (with room to grow), and patinently awaiting the CP and CN offsets. Will there be any June announcements Craig, or are you waiting for the big show like many others? CPAA  ;D

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
I got to thinking about this last night and it seems that all of us (moi included) tend to look at every development/change in the industry and start to predict doom, and yet it has managed to keep supplying us product.  Yes, we also complain about prices, yet several threads have shown that we get better quality now at inflation adjusted similar pricing to years ago.

As some have noted, nothing exists in a vaccum.  We thought the Athearn-Horizon merger was going to give them too much power, but it doesn't seem to have.  We wonder about Walthers, etc.  If Sandra Kan gets too pricy, others will jump in and our mfgs will go elsewhere.  It all works out as it needs to. 

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
if you guys only knew the half of it.

Ok, fill us in!?  Is it tied to the love letter/obituary that Atlas posted a few months ago?

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »
That is good news. Closing in on 40 of those 86'ers (with room to grow), and patinently awaiting the CP and CN offsets. Will there be any June announcements Craig, or are you waiting for the big show like many others? CPAA  ;D

Thanks Mike,
New announcement posted last night, as a matter of fact: www.bluford-shops.com
We do send out a pdf newsletter each month if anyone is interested. Drop me a line at blufordshops@aol.com with your email address if you want to be added to the list.
Craig
www.bluford-shops.com

PS. Rossford has the right idea.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:40:27 PM by John »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
We are to the importers the same as the importers are to Kader . I think we should be more advised to our pending fate than we are .

Richie Dost

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »
Maybe in this case....

"What you don't know won't hurt you."

or

"Some things are just best left out of the public eye"
Tony Hines

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
Fair is first come first served .

But it's business, fair is not a word in industry. Money talks and can move your stuff faster.  You can attempt to solve it by running your own factory but then labor, maintenance, inboarding and shrink become your responsibility!  ::)
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
Firing squad
at the ready.  Care for a blindfold and a cigarette? 

Manufacturers will find a new place (or not) as Kader sheds them to streamline thier business.  Kader is operating in self interest and those who negotiated poorly or now find themselves in poor financial positions will simply become footnotes in the history of model trains.

Still, I'm not buying Bachmann until thier quality gets better.  The Centennial excited me but all the shell improvements were tempered by a worse than previous version trucks.  Quality designs well executed will get my money every time...
Support fine modeling

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 07:57:10 PM »
Feels really good right now to see all those Injection Molding Machines working hard outside my office.   ;D 

Joe
MTL

So this isn't going to affect Z scale mechanisms and track?   ;)

Lots of interesting conjecture in this thread... if you guys only knew the half of it.

So; what's the other half........?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

ljudice

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Conjecture:

Only Atlas and Lionel provide the size of runs that make it profitable to do contract manufacturing?

Atlas and Lionel are 80-90% of our business and we need to concentrate?

Other acquisitions are in the pipeline and we're changing our model?

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
That pad printer is an N scale veteran!  Although, didn't many criticize the Freight Yard custom paint jobs as being sort of average? I never thought so, but have only seen a few.  And if they were averege, would that have something to do with the quality of the pad printer on sale?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
That pad printer is an N scale veteran!  Although, didn't many criticize the Freight Yard custom paint jobs as being sort of average? I never thought so, but have only seen a few.  And if they were averege, would that have something to do with the quality of the pad printer on sale?

I think you're talking about two different things here.  The printer would be mostly for freight cars, while the mediocre paint jobs are usually in reference to locomotives.

Just my take.

Jason

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
A chance for MTL to grow a new wing and product line .

Canada makes everything , why not enough model trains from them ?

Eliminate the overseas shipping costs .

Sounds good to me. We lost a lot of manufacturing jobs when the US economy tanked. A lot of auto parts for the American market are manufacturered in Ontario. A number of those factories were forced to shut down with the recession and less demand in North America for new cars.