Author Topic: this doesn't sound good...  (Read 12264 times)

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: this doesn't sound good...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
Just this morning I read an article in my German newspaper that labor costs are going up in China, and the abundant supply of migrant workers willing to work for low wages is decreasing. 
One German manufacturer, Piko, has started his own factory in China some time ago.  It seems to be a good idea to have manufacturing under one's own control.
We will see what the future might bring.
Christoph

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
When they say Kader, does this explicitly also mean Sanda Kan? (I thought Sanda Kan was still being "operated separately")

Anyway, more "suppliers" means more competition the way I see it, and hopefully less eggs in one basket.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:19:27 AM by NandW »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:26 AM »
I wonder what a small injection molding machine and a pad printer would cost?  Railwire Model Works :)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
If Bluford is in the tank on this, RMW might already have its first order... :o

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:18 AM »
Well, I hate to say it, but I wonder if the "big shops" were pissed that the "small shops" were producing at a rapid clip and cutting into their production time and decided to "do" something about it.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »
Not cool, hope it comes back and bites them is the rear.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
We can only hope that a long term effect may be that companies stop producing EVERYTHING abroad, and production someday will begin to resume here.

Still, yes, one does indeed wonder what a small injection molding machine and printer etc would cost...? I would think mold costs would be the kicker, as every teeny change to a model would mean a new mold.

Still, I would love to see smallish companies begin to produce like this!
Just say no to dummy couplers.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:00:36 AM »
If there is a void in production and if there is money to be made, someone will step in to fill the void. Decisions like this guarantee that Kader has just willed their toughest competitor into existence. Looks like we'll be waiting for some of our models, though.

Now if it comes to pass that this was instgated by the large model RR mfg's, I'm thinking a boycott is in order (unless Atlas does the GP40-2W in N... sorry, I'm principaled, but not suicidal). If it were left to the big guys, we wouldn't have those nice 86' boxes or a number of other items.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
I can't see Atlas being an instigator here. They're invested in N scale's growth, and such a move would be shooting itself in the foot.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
A chance for MTL to grow a new wing and product line .

Canada makes everything , why not enough model trains from them ?

Eliminate the overseas shipping costs .

Richie Dost

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
Bring on the kits!

Jason

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
How much of Intermountain is done overseas? I am pretty sure that the plastic molding and printing is done here, just assembly and maybe loco frames are farmed out overseas. Would they be in a more secure place than others?
Tony Hines

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I doubt Atlas instigated this. It sounds like the factory is in a labor situation itself, and has made a business decision to focus on its most regular, longest standing customers.  Maybe that is a good thing, in that Atlas and the other bigs have told them they foresee and increase in their product offerings in 2010. :)

I don't know any specifics, but I can see why a factory might not like an FVM which has put out just a few models, and brings new product to market in sporadic times and possible (given their very specific prototypes) harder to engineer models, vs. Atlas which has used the same diesel mechs (basically) forever.

Its all yen or dollars. I think its just another example of a shrinking industry consolidating into fewer, but bigger mfgs and distributors, as you would expect based on other industries.  As it happens, the world has about a dozen too many auto makers, and its quite possible, it has nearly as many or more excess MRR manufacturers, in terms of dollars per product produced.

The next logical step would be to see Athearn or Atlas buy some of the other tooling from the small companies (who can ill afford to ramp up production again with a new supplier) to get them in the supply line, either as Train Man, or perhaps kept as another sub brand.

Of coure, I know nothing, and am just speculating on the internet, like the rest of us. It will all be intersting to see what happens, but we do know change is constant.

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
I expect manufacturer/importers will look for factories in Singapore or Thailand and other places. Nikon, e.g., has some cameras made in Thailand.