Author Topic: Weekend Update 12-27-2009  (Read 8402 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5521
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Weekend Update 12-27-2009
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »
Wow.  Looking back on 2009 shows only a modicum of progress on the layout.  I've started
dismantling some of the temporary trackage in preparation for a modest expansion,
Although the budget situation remains an obstacle to going at it full bore.

One thing I've enjoyed is a lot of visiting power through the Decoder install shop:

And through the paint shop...

And during a couple of operating sessions...

The best part, though, is always having a great group of friends that seems to keep growing each year thanks to this great hobby.

Of course, the biggest highlight of the year for me was having my layout published in N Scale Magazine... 

I'm really looking forward to the changes 2010 will bring, both in my life and in the train room!  Happy New Year, everyone!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
Re: Weekend Update 12-27-2009
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:08:33 PM »
Great photos of 2009, Lee!

I was able to get time to make some photos of the Kato
N scale El Capitan.  Superb job by Kato - we are all so
lucky that Kato does N scale passenger trains!

Enjoy and Happy Holidays to everyone.
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1668
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
No pics, but I'm learning how to work with steel framing, without slicing up my fingers.

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »
Those El Capitan cars are sweet.

Not a whole lot from me, just worked on the forest floor a bit.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1818
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »
Nice recap Lee!  And Happy New Year everyone.

I've been work on my first loco detailing project (BNSF Dash-9 of course) and had it just about ready for the paint shop, which is in my basement, only to find 4" of standing water down there.  Ugh.  First time it has flooded in the 20 years I've lived in this house.  There goes my modeling time for a while.   >:(

Two Truck Shay

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing those great images, Lee!

I went from an empty room to something more than an empty room, and am thankful for that! Happy New Year, folks!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1668
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »

... only to find 4" of standing water down there.

Major bummer!   I used to live in NJ and my old house there had a terrible water problem.  During a rain, the sump pump would go off every minute or so.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3574
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
Good recap Lee, and congrats on the layout article.  It was fun to see a layout in print that I am somewhat familiar with through the forums.  Good luck with the expansion!

When I went back through the Recent News page of my website, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I actually did make some significant progress on the layout this year.

For me, 2009 began with publication of an article on the layout in Model Railroad Planning 2009, which was my first layout article. The top light canopies for the benchwork along the north wall were built and painted, and LED layout lighting was installed for both decks along this wall. A milestone was reached in July when all of the north wall benchwork was re-hung with lighting installed, completing this portion of the layout:

I also built and installed a faux bridge as a temporary replacement for the Pine River bridge during construction:

The trackwork in the helix was extended around to the point where it will emerge on the lower deck, and Code 55 to Code 40 transition tracks were built for the lower and upper ends of the helix. The bus wires and terminations were installed in the helix and all the feeder wires were connected, and it is now operational on DCC power:

I also experimented with handlaying Code 40 track, and completed the design for for the remaining sections of benchwork.

I did not complete too much in the way of new equipment this year as I really wanted to focus on getting the helix wired and operational before the end of the year. This meant saying no to any new modelling projects for a while. I did build three new chip cars:

I also completed a few new trailers, and re-conditioned 15 older freight cars for eventual service on the layout.

Best wishes to all for a very Happy New Year! I hope that it will be a productive one for you.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2497
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Still arm chairing in 2009 - Went from two completely different layouts in 2008 to
no layout in 2009. Next year my Exeter Branch of The Southern Pacific and new
room and work shop will begin. Two Truck - Good to see more SP modelers here.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +609
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
I was actually surprised as I flipped through my photos to see how much I have accomplished this year.  My layout went into storage for about six weeks beginning in August, and I have yet to fully reassemble it.  Despite that, I managed to get a lot of modeling work done:

Progress on the layout came in two areas.  First, all but one of the signals are installed and functional.

Second, the seeds of River City (the first expansion when the room becomes available) are being sown.  I completed two Custom Model Railroad kits to begin the skyline.

My foobie Challenger took a spin on seusscaboose's layout.

I also got some work done on rolling stock.  First project for the year was the Thomas Alexander Scott for the Pennsylvania Limited:

I began my roster of modern power with a couple of Kato AC4400CW's.

And an Atlas Dash 8 that became a GE AC3200BW-DM

I got some old friends out of storage and up and running.

And to end the year with a preview, I've begun planning my next abomination unto history.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
I finished off my WM NE Caboose this week. I lightly weathered it after decaling. I suck at decals, so my one and only friend did me a favor and applied them for me. This little crummy should cause Lee to jiz for sure.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
" This little crummy should cause Lee to jiz for sure "

Now thats an image I didn't need . Where's the upchuck smilie when we need it ? One Lee a launching , Two ....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:05:52 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
I finished off my WM NE Caboose this week. I lightly weathered it after decaling. I suck at decals, so my one and only friend did me a favor and applied them for me. This little crummy should cause Lee to jiz for sure.

Is that one of your kits?  Wow! Lee might not be the only one that has to clean his shorts. Nice job.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
Mr Dave Emery, a noted New England RR executive, visited the USMRR A&F today. Here Mr Emery is discussing installation of a new switch stand with Gen. Haupt.    (Mr. Emery was painted by Dave Emery and given to me as a Christmas present. Thanks Dave.)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 07:18:05 PM »
nice WM caboose Bob! :o :o

When is it available?