Author Topic: Kato Parts Service  (Read 3931 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5394
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Kato Parts Service
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »
So, in an effort to do the best job I can do on an upcoming painting project, and on the recommendation of our own Sizemore, I order a set of red handrails for a Kato SD-40.  The cost was $5, the shipping $6, so for $11 I'm expecting something in a few days.

Well, yesterday, I get what looks like an envelope with a Kato return address.  On closer inspection, it's one of those small Priority Mail boxes, the kind with the perforations down the sides, and it's completely flat.  My heart in my throat, I open the box, and pull out a celophane package that's full of red crumbs.  There's not a foam peanut or shred of bubble wrap to be found anywhere.  So there was my handrail set, pulverized.

So, I call the number on the invoice, and speak to a nameless voice about the situation.  He tells me to take it up with the post office.  I tell him that the post office ain't the problem.  The product was not packaged properly, and was damaged due to Kato's carelessness.  The guy tells me it's not his problem, he doesn't pack the boxes.  He says take it to the post office so they can tell me it was improperly packaged, then he'd see what he can do.

So I say,  It's a $5 part.  I'm not going to waste my time going to the post office so they can tell me what I already know!  Take a small, fragile part, put it in a collapsible box with no protection, then smash it with a thousand pounds of other mail.  The latter is going to happen no matter what.  The first part of the process that Kato controls is wherein the problem lies.  By this time I'm doing my best Outraged John Cleese voice, ("This parrot has drawn down the curtain and joined the bleeding Choir Invisible!")

So the guy hangs up on me.

I strangled the cat, then took a stiff drink, and called the number on the invoice again.  A very similar sounding voice answered (Everyone in Illinois sounds like Mike Ditka), so I calmly...or as calmly as I could... admonished him for hanging up on me.  At this point, the voice interjects and says "whoa there!  You didn't talk to me!  I just got back from lunch!"

So I explain the dilemma, and describe in detail the actions of the gorillas that work in the Kato shipping department including some of my theories about interspecies marriage, job training opportunities available in reform schools, and the incompetence of the previous rep I spoke with, in striking contrast to the politeness I was now receiving.  This second rep said, "Well, we need to ship out a new part then don't we?"  I agreed, and apologized for having been short with him earlier.  Then I realized that I didn't get the name of the first Ditka I spoke to, but suggested to the second that he go around the office and just smack everyone on the back of the head for me.

The rep that was helpful was named Leon.  The other, was just a big Ditka.

Anyone else get this kind of Jekyll and Hyde treatment from the Celebrated Mr. K?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: Kato Parts Service
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »
Lee...

My experience was good with Kato usa I ordered some parts but when they arrived one of the parts was missing out of a sealed factory bag  ???.
And of coarse as you guessed the one and only part I needed was the one mising.
I called up the number and they said no problem send you out a replacement right away sorry for the trouble no problems I must have got the same guy you did the second time ;D

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
I ordered replacement parts a few years back.  Received the confirmation, and after three weeks I still didn't have them (I live in Chicago for cryin' out loud, but don't sound like Ditka).  Called them up, and the rep checked into it.  Said they received the order, and it somehow never made it past that stage.  He sent it through, and they UPS'ed them Next Day.  

So major oops on the front end, major kudos on the back end.
~ Matt

nwline

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
Lee

I feel your pain ! I live about a 20 minute ride from Kato and have the pleasure of just going there to pickup parts. As far as the parts people,they are out to lunch  even when your standing there talking to them . It seems like a  real bother for them to  walk about 30 feet to the warehouse to get your parts !
As far as Leon , he's a good man. He owned a local hobby shop here for a long time before giving it  up and going to work for "the man" , he's not a parts guy .......I think he does product development and is always at the shows. Sounds like you got lucky and he was near the phone. 

Dave

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
He owned a local hobby shop here for a long time before giving it  up and going to work for "the man" , he's not a parts guy .......I think he does product development and is always at the shows. Sounds like you got lucky and he was near the phone.

I was gonna say I could be wrong but IIRC Leon usually travels the show circuit.

And Lee, I've never had those problems with Kato, I've always gotten a nice (western) foreign lady who has always come through.

The S.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
How about the packing of the shipments?  I mean, what moron would put an N scale handrail set into a collapsible box with zero packing material?  That really surprised me.  I've ordered parts from Atlas dozens of times, and never saw the likes of that!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »
All the parts I've gotten were sent in boxes and I've had no broken or missing parts even on small ones like you ordered.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »
Lousy experience but what a great account of it! ;D

You must have been an editorial columnist in a previous life.

Russ

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »
Actually, I was!
Lee ;D
Rockin' It Old School

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »
How about the packing of the shipments?  I mean, what moron would put an N scale handrail set into a collapsible box with zero packing material?  That really surprised me.  I've ordered parts from Atlas dozens of times, and never saw the likes of that!

Lee

From my experience I've always gotten my stuff with packing foam. I kinda think it was a scenario where someone walked away mid-packing, then someone else picked up the ball to get it shipped. Gotta remember even well trained monkeys sometimes make a mistake, it just blows when it happens to you.

And I can't wait to see that SD when it's done, between painting those LRV units and seeing this get done I might go on a painting spree and finish an SD I started like 2 million years ago!

The S.

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »
Leon is the only one I talk to. Plus I wait & order a bunch of parts for the same $6.00 S/H  charge. 
I'll find stuff to buy to fill the box.
Mike

bobcat

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
Thankfully, I have not had a problem ordering parts from Kato, delivery or packaging.

Thanks Eric, my bad :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:05:13 PM by bobcat »

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
Thankfully, I have had a problem ordering parts from Kato, delivery or packaging.
Why are you thankful you've had problems?   ;D

Erik

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Never had any problems over the years. None.

Lee, the "Kato Guys" must be reading all your posts, and are just giving you "special" service. ;D
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7953
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 03:02:36 PM »
I was actually just about to say what oakcreekco did.

They knew you were a friend of mine and wanted to punish you...