Author Topic: I'am Now a Real Pennsylvania Modeler  (Read 5821 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +186
Re: I'am Now a Real Pennsylvania Modeler
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »
I broke down and ordered the Add-on set. 2nd Kato order this decade!

I figure I can repaint the Budd sleepers as standins for the N&W S2 sleepers (above). It'll be close enough for me, as I'm not really a passenger train geek, but I need something decent to haul behind my N&W J's. (don't suggest the horribly lettered Con-cor cars or I'll El Kabong ya!)

For the 4-4-2s, maybe I'll keep one for pool service (I kinda doubt these ever showed up N&W though) and dump the other on the Bay. Or maybe dump both.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »
Actually the 10-6's would be a better choice for N&W runthru.  The PRR 10-6' cars along with the N&W 10-6's ran from New York to Hagerstown and down to Roanoke.  Forget the train numbers but only saw it once since it stopped in my hometown in PA very early in the mornings.  Remember it had 3 cars, one a baggage and 2 others (probably a coach and the 10-6).
Bob

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »
Actually the 10-6's would be a better choice for N&W runthru.  The PRR 10-6' cars along with the N&W 10-6's ran from New York to Hagerstown and down to Roanoke.  Forget the train numbers but only saw it once since it stopped in my hometown in PA very early in the mornings.  Remember it had 3 cars, one a baggage and 2 others (probably a coach and the 10-6 - June 2008 is their current carrot on a stick).
Bob

Bob, I already have 10-6s. N&W had only 3. They were used on Trains 1 & 2 (the valley train).

Since I model the mainline (the Pokey!) the through cars are for the Chicago connection, which for sure sometimes meant PRR P85 coaches. I sure as hell aint buying the main BL set for a 10-6! :o  (I might pick up one of the Walthers 10-6 in PRR though).

I think the sleeper from NY somehow ended up in little ole Williamson WV (connecting from the NY Train in Roanoke to the Pocahontas).

N&W rostered 20 of the Budd sleepers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:28:36 PM by NandW »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
Didn't the N&W had 10-6 sleepers built by both Pulllman and Budd? 

Another thing that surprised me, is the use of a PRR K-2 pacific used out of Richmond on one of their trains.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »
Didn't the N&W had 10-6 sleepers built by both Pulllman and Budd? 

Another thing that surprised me, is the use of a PRR K-2 pacific used out of Richmond on one of their trains.

Yes. N&W had 3 Pullman (built to PRR spex for pool service on the NY Trains), and about 20 Budd (see my previous posts). I plan to use the PRR Budds to represent the N&W Budd 10-6 (the windows are close enough for me and I really don't spend much time looking inside the windows). The Budd cars were sold to the PRR in 1964 and were converted to coach cars. Some of the N&W cars later ended up in service on MARC alongside cars originally from the PRR.

N&W Bought 5 PRR K-3s in 1930. They were gone by 1946.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns591.jpeg

Mark

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:51:23 PM by NandW »