Author Topic: I'am Now a Real Pennsylvania Modeler  (Read 5793 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
I'am Now a Real Pennsylvania Modeler
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:37:09 AM »
 I guess I must have come out of the Closet I'am now a Real Pennsylvania Modeler. I broke down and pre ordered the complete KATO Broadway Limited, all 14 cars to go with my GG1. On the otherhand maybe it is because I have always been a passenger train buff (have just about every Con Cor Limited Edition set run) even if some are not real accurate,or more likely because I got to ride the real Broadway from New York to Chicago in 1962. My family traveled every Summer to visit my dads parents in Brooklyn, every other year we flew or took the train 1954 was the Cal Zeph in the trenscon thru sleeper, then PRR to NY, return in UP Trans Con car to Chicago on PRR then C&NW to Omaha,UP to Salt Lake. 1958 UP to Omaha, MLW to Chicago PRR to NY reverse home. Then 1962 UP & PRR again only this time ssomething special our return train was not the usual General Trail Blazer but the Broadway. Wow ! Sitting in that obs car speeding nown the NEC in the evening was quite a big deal. Besides I have always wanted a model of a Budd Twin Unit Diner. Oh and yes I got to ride the Century once,but in a Slumber Coach, train was already down graded but thats a story for another time. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +185
Re: I'am Now a Real Pennsylvania Modeler
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
I'm looking for details of the consist, I suppose Kato will reveal this in good time ...

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »
Odd that Kato has yet to reveal what the consist will be, yet is taking orders?  ??? ::)

gunner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »
From the WigWag site:

10 car set: Baggage mail 70, 12 duplex 4 double bedroom sleeper, 5 double bedroom bar-lounge, Diner kitchen dormitory, 10-6 sleeper, 10-6 sleeper, 10-6 sleeper, 10-6 sleeper, 10-6 sleeper and Observation.

4 car set: 21 roomette, 21 roomette, 4-4-2 sleeper and 4-4-2 sleeper.

Single interchange car:  Santa Fe 4-4-2 Sleeper "Regal Spa"

WigWag is the only site I have found any info on so far.

I am not associated with the quoted retailer just very interested in this project.

Bob

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
I'll have to get an extra 4 car set as these are cars i'm interested in.  I think the diner, kitchen dorm are two different cars (2 car set).  I've got at least 5 10-6 cars ordered from another manufacturer but still intend to get the whole set.  Hope it's easy to remove car names, so I can redo cars in other names.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »
Thanks Bob! (Gunner) 8)

wow whole lotta 10-6 there! (qty 5) Wonder if it'll be the same one Walthers thinks they are doing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:27:29 PM by NandW »

gunner

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
This release date is going to be trouble for me, I would expect that with the WKW/LL 2-8-8-2's coming around 30 June and the Trainworx gondolas coming this year, a GG1 already preordered; I guess I had better start working more overtime to keep the Mrs. happy.  It's going to be an expensive summer.

I'm still resisting dropping the wallet on a BigBoy and hope it takes some time for IMRR to finalize and announce that cab forward they have been fooling with.  The Mrs. caught me looking at those BigBoys the other day and suggested that I buy it...  Wouldn't it look nice passing a Yellowstone and class Y3's?  Man wouldn't it look interesting in a side by side shot with those puppies!  NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!  MUST RESIST!!!!! 

I am looking forward to the Limited, but would not call myself a SPF.  I just love those long passenger trains, and the painted ones are really nice when tastefully done.  The Daylight was just too 'over the top' for me, and one shiney CZ is enough of that stuff for me.  With 3 releases of the CZ, can there be a second release of the B-way LTD?  Better not take a chance.

Bob

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1414
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »
Bob,
Pick a railroad and model it...  It'll save you a ton of money...
Or, you could be like Tom Mann, and model one railroad, but in 5 scales... ;D
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

gunner

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 12:38:20 AM »
Lee,

I can't.  Well, I have, but I see some wonderful stuff out there that I have a hard time resisting.  The Limited I can justify somewhat as the PRR and N&W did share power from time to time.  The other stuff I have are of some historic significance.

Bob

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 12:41:19 AM »
Bob,
Pick a railroad and model it...  It'll save you a ton of money...
Or, you could be like Tom Mann, and model one railroad, but in 5 scales... ;D
Lee

Modelling a northern Ontario regional, I get to happily ignore all these Big Boy, Challenger, GG1, California Zephyr, Daylight, Broadway limited, etc. etc.

Though I do have one California Zephyr baggage car (the ACR bought one secondhand from DRGW).

I did have a bit of a run on Walthers when they released the Canadian style 52' bulkhead flatcars... I've got well over a dozen here, plus a few I picked up for the club layout...

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
I guess the baggage mail will be the BM70m.

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=bm70m.gif&sel=baggmail&sz=sm&fr=

Of course to get this you have to buy the set ...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:33:04 PM by NandW »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »
Just checked the Wig Wag site.  There is one less 10-6 sleeper then posted.  That means the diner is indeed the 2 unit type and the count is 10 cars in the basic set.  Guess I can finally put away my old Atlas 10-6 and obs and start using the new Kato ones.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
Just checked the Wig Wag site.  There is one less 10-6 sleeper then posted.  That means the diner is indeed the 2 unit type and the count is 10 cars in the basic set.  Guess I can finally put away my old Atlas 10-6 and obs and start using the new Kato ones.

I plan to keep my RR/Atlas 10-6. 8) Walthers is supposed to be doing the 10-6 this year (ahem). At least with Walthers I won't have to buy a set to get one.

The Broadway set is tearing me up as there are a few cars I could use, but I can't justify buying the set just to get those cars.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +531
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »
The Broadway set is tearing me up as there are a few cars I could use, but I can't justify buying the set just to get those cars.

I was able to get the parts for a CZ baggage car to hack up and put sound into.  I would assume that you will be able to get the parts from whatever car body you need from the BL.

Jason

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »
Jason,

Thanks, that's a good point. Pricey but less pricey than the set. 8)

Mark