Author Topic: Code 55 Blues  (Read 9695 times)

nwline

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Code 55 Blues
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »
Ok guy's I need a little help with this one . I just got a message back that the NWSL wheelsets for loco's have been discontinued and most dealer's I've checked with are out of stock or don't carry them at all . I checked the Trainworx web site and it look's like they don't offer that service anymore ( not listed ) to cut down loco wheels .
 I was wondering if anyone has some way of cutting down Atlas loco wheels so they will run on code 55 or code 40 track ?
Has anyone used Trainworx for this service and how did it work out ?
I was really hoping for a simple,quick and cheap fix for this , I have quite a few w/s to cut down !

Thanks for your Help !
Dave 

bobcat

Re: Code 55 Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »
As far as I know, Atlas engines run fine on code 55. I have never had a problem at the club with any of my Atlas engines.

I have no idea about code 40.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
I've used Trainworx a bunch of times, you should send them a E-mail. Think it is Pat Sanders over there. Usually the wheels are back at my place before a week is up!

I didn't know NWSL stopped making them.  Did you contact them or hear this from someone else?

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »
I've used Trainworx a bunch of times, you should send them a E-mail. Think it is Pat Sanders over there.

Pat is good people.  You should shoot him an email.

Erik

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5398
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:56:41 PM »
I've turned my own wheels down on my Life Like engines (FA-2, BL-2, GP-20) by powering a couple of fine tooth files with some alligator clips.  I run the engine for a few minutes in both directions, stopping to make sure things are going evenly.  After doing this, I take apart the trucks and clean any stray filings out of the gears, lube it back up and off we go.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »
I didn't know NWSL stopped making them.  Did you contact them or hear this from someone else?

The 2675-6 (Diesel Wheels 72 Tread) have been discontinued.
The 2679-6 (Arnold/Rapido/Walthers S2 Diesel Upgrade) are still available at the moment, but I don't know for how much longer.
The owners of NWSL are retiring soon and they have now begun to retire certain products that they have run out of inventory of. So far they have not found a buyer for the business.  Too bad.

Boiler-man

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
I have disassembled the trucks from my older Diesel locos and chucked up the wheels in a variable speed cordless 1/2in. drill and used a small file, spinning the wheel in the drill and carefully filed down the flange diameter and then reduced the thickness by filing the back side of the flange.

I have done this on several of my locos, takes a little time and care but doable by most.

Steam locos are a different story as they are too large in diameter to fit the drill (need a small lathe) and they will need re-quartering.

I have a new never ran Con-Cor UP Big boy that I started this on and have yet to get the driver gears timing correct, oh well some day.

Hope that this gives you some insight and understanding, if not just ask more questions we will help.

nwline

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »
Thanks for the feed back guy's . I tried running a pair of GP-9's from micro engineering code55 thru a micro engineering turnout on to a code 40 siding . Here's the result's , they ran ok on the C-55 , thru the turnout was like hitting a parking bumper and would not run on the C-40 siding.
It looks like I'll drop Trainworx an e-mail and see if they give discount's for cutting down lot's of w/s, as far as how I got the word was a call back from Pacific Western Rail Supply who got NWSL on the call to explain just what we thought , they are retiring and when stuff's gone it' gone.
I don't know about the rest of you but I sure am sorry to see so many nscale detail part's maker's throwing in the towl !   

Again Thanks for the input ! 

Walkercolt

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 12:32:17 AM »
Chuck, I hadn't heard about NWSL's owner's retirement. That's bad news for many scales. I bought all my ball bearings for HO drivers(steam) from them. No other source I know of, or for flywheels, or gear trains. I've fixed several HO brass engines, turning them into real good runners with NWSL parts. Many were more than old enough to vote too. United and PFM, and Balboa's, most had lousy motors and poorly engineered drive trains. The motors were mostly sourced from computer applications(drive motors for tractor feed printers,and from flat bed scanners). But ball bearings on shafts work better than friction bearings, and hold things in alignment much better. I've taken several from shelf display queens to real pulling runners. I really hope someone buys the business. How can we live without NWSL? :'(

Greyryder

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 04:32:21 AM »
Thanks for the feed back guy's . I tried running a pair of GP-9's from micro engineering code55 thru a micro engineering turnout on to a code 40 siding . Here's the result's , they ran ok on the C-55 , thru the turnout was like hitting a parking bumper and would not run on the C-40 siding.
It looks like I'll drop Trainworx an e-mail and see if they give discount's for cutting down lot's of w/s, as far as how I got the word was a call back from Pacific Western Rail Supply who got NWSL on the call to explain just what we thought , they are retiring and when stuff's gone it' gone.
I don't know about the rest of you but I sure am sorry to see so many nscale detail part's maker's throwing in the towl !   

Again Thanks for the input ! 

This is what I'm worried about, with my GP9. I'd like to eventually convert to Atlas code 55, but I don't know if the flanges will make it through the turnouts. I am left wondering if the wheels off a different Atlas Geep would fit the the GP9's trucks.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
I've got several new and classic GP 9's, as well as older RS-3's (which were the basis for the second generation foobie GP-9 back in the 80's) and run them all gleefully all over my code 55 layout.  Not a problem.

If you have a pre-1980 model (Roco drive with red gears and lead weights) you might have a problem, though.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

nwline

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
Lee is all your code55 track and turnout's made by Atlas ? It's seem's that my main problem is not with the code 55 , but the Micro-engineering code55 turnout's and of coarse the code 40.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »
Yes, all Atlas.  It's odd that you're having trouble with ME... That's made to a slightly higher tolerance for pizza cutters than Atlas...  I can see c40 being a problem, though.

At some point you have to decide where you are willing to compromise.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Greyryder

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »
I've got several new and classic GP 9's, as well as older RS-3's (which were the basis for the second generation foobie GP-9 back in the 80's) and run them all gleefully all over my code 55 layout.  Not a problem.

If you have a pre-1980 model (Roco drive with red gears and lead weights) you might have a problem, though.
Lee

Sweet! Thanks! That was what I needed to know.

Now, if I could just afford to replace my track....

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »

Lee

Sweet! Thanks! That was what I needed to know.

Now, if I could just afford to replace my track....

Oh my, where to begin..........?

Replace my track....sigh. I really hope you don't do this - and I have no idea about your layout.  And, with all humility, if you decide to do so, then good luck and god speed.

I guess I want to know why anyone would produce track that couldn't run 99% of the existing products in a marketplace ? I mean, would someone sit in a board room and say, "I know we want to be realisitc looking but to do so, we have to produce a product that XXXX mfg's loco's won't run on -.... ahhh, ummm.. ok; go for it " !

I really, really hope not. And, before we all go nuts, I'm not saying that we should concern ourselves with "N gauge" products of the 1960's, but I really wonder if Atlas and ME even looked at the exisiting offerings when they designed their track. I think that it's hubris to say " here's a new track and if you want to use it you have to scrap/alter your stuff"..... sure as hell wouldn't work in the industry that pays my wages.

I guess I'm interested in your thoughts.... should I have to change 900 cars and 100 loco's to LP wheels, z scale couplers and body mount them for Atlas to sell me track ? Is this actually required or is this "foobee ware" from the internet ?  Should the Mg test their products and see if they are compatible before releasing them and should they care if they are producing a NRMA compliant product ?

Your opinion ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:34:10 PM by John »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!