Author Topic: Airbrush help  (Read 3269 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Airbrush help
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
I purchased an airbrush on ebay for $30 I'm trying to paint track with it but the paint barely comes out,
I've dilluted the paint to the point now where it is like water and it still doesnt work ???. I'm getting
about 20-25 psi on my compressor. I need to get my track done and might need a new air brush now. >:(

3rdrail

Re: Airbrush help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »
Brand of airbrush? Brand of paint? $30 is pretty cheap for an airbrush.

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »
Some off brand I'll have to check the box it was brand new. ???

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:00:13 PM »
Sounds like it's clogged.  Try cleaning it with Orange Cleaner.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »
Tear it down and rebuild. Soak everything in the strongest brush cleaner you can find (if the airbrush is metal). Put it back togeather and test run it with water only.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

RDG_Rich

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
It very well could be a bad seal between the color cup (or jar) and the airbrush. I have had that problem in the past.

Is air coming out of the tip? 

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
Two things you should always have when airbrushing with acrylic paint (I don't use anything else).
-A Tupperware container full of water for cleaning and unclogging purposes. Just submerge the entire airbrush and pull the trigger.
-Mesh paint strainer from a regular paint store or Home Depot. Strain your paint into the airbrush cup and don't dilute the paint without straining it again.

I don't know if you use a compressor and if so, don't forget to put in a moister filter. You don't want that type of water going through your airbrush gun.

nscalesteve

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
It very well could be a bad seal between the color cup (or jar) and the airbrush. I have had that problem in the past.

or the whole seal for the needle is missing (the Teflon Needle Bearing thingy) then nothing but air will come out your Airbrush...

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
Well I have taken it apart and cleaned it then it will spray for about a minute and stop again ??? I don't have a moisture filter so that may be it. I think I'm going to buy a moisture filter and a new airbrush either an Iwata or a Badger. I need to get my track done and I need it painted first. I'm definatley going to make sure that my airbrush is working right before I paint and weather my scratchbuilt truss bridge!! I'll be posting pics of it this weekend!

RDG_Rich

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »
or the whole seal for the needle is missing (the Teflon Needle Bearing thingy) then nothing but air will come out your Airbrush...

Yep...had that happen too... I never realized that there was supposed to be a TEEENY o ring on the needle... I was getting so frustrated with my airbrush that I was considering buying another, until I saw the parts diagram...EUREKA!

Boy did I feel like an @$$.

bsoplinger

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »
I think I'm going to buy a moisture filter and a new airbrush either an Iwata or a Badger. I need to get my track done and I need it painted first.

Not sure what the count is that's required to see the "Crew Lounge" section, but in case its more than your post count, Badger is having a "garage sale" where you can get a nice airbrush for a song.

http://badger-airbrush.com/garagesale.htm

I ended up buying a Sotar 20/20, a 5000 and 2 360's (Omni). Got the second Omni by mistake, guess I pushed a button I didn't notice.  Still only cost just over $200, less than what the Sotar alone would cost at the cheapest etailer.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 12:58:04 AM »
Change to Floquil , water based paints are notorious for drying too fast . You would think that there would be some sort of retarder that you can add to the paint to keep it from drying so darn fast .

Richie Dost

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 01:35:45 AM »
Floquil is great stuff, just make sure your medical insurance is paid up...  It has some really nasty organic solvents in it.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 01:58:45 AM »
Change to Floquil , water based paints are notorious for drying too fast . You would think that there would be some sort of retarder that you can add to the paint to keep it from drying so darn fast .

Acrylics spray just fine if you take the time to learn how.  Too much pressure and/or too fine of needle will definately dry the paint to the tip and eventually clog the brush.  Strain your paint, use the right amount of thinner (I use some cheap pantyhose), ~20psi with a large needle from 6" or so away.  Haven't had a problem since, exept for DMIR accuflex/accupaint.  But yellows are always b**** for me anyways. 

And if you use water to thin the paint, use distilled water, don't just go to the tap.  I had some success with using gloss as a thinner as well.

I certainly wouldn't recommend solvent based paint as a shortcut.

Jason

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 05:43:55 AM »
To get an airbrush for so cheap can be a bad start to learning to airbrush.  You need to start by being sure that every part is clean and not broken like the tip has a problem such as a split or something or the needle isn't bent.  The tip of the needle needs to be straight all the way to the TIP (if double action airbrush).  Now if the problem of spay a minute and no more then the problem may be a part needs to be replaced.  This could be a problem with the connection to the bottle, the tip or as mentioned the O ring.  If the airbrush seems worth it I would start buying new parts one at a time replace them and learn how what was the problem.  One thing, you'll know the airbrush when you are done.  I didn't know an airbrush and how it worked till it didn't work.  Now I know every part of an airbrush because I've had all different kinds of problems over the years.  I would look at the site mentioned before for cheap airbrushes to buy.  They are new just scratched or such but working like now.  That would be a great way to start airbrushing.  I had to save $150. in the early 80's from my after school job to buy one.  There wasn't any internet or eBay back then.
============================