Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/12/17  (Read 7619 times)

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
Re: Weekend Update 3/12/17
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »
+4
I replaced the cab on my PRR 0-6-0.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but here it is.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The new cab is from an old Minitrix 4-6-2.  I also lowered the boiler about 0.030in. 

I neglected to mention last week that I replaced the front coupler with a True Scale one.  This is worth mentioning because the conversion was very quick and simple.  In four easy steps,

1. Discard the upper cover and trim the nubbins on the lower housing that would have retained the upper cover.
2. Trim the sides of the lower housing so that it fits into the pocket in the pilot.
3. Drill and tap a hole in the pilot for the 00-90 screw.
4. Assemble.

This method will probably work for other applications, too.

Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
I replaced the cab on my PRR 0-6-0.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but here it is.

The new cab is from an old Minitrix 4-6-2.  I also lowered the boiler about 0.030in. 

I'm not PRR expert but the new cab and lowering the shell improved the look dramatically.  Too bad that the valve gear looks so toy-ish, but I know that you are at peace with that.
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
"Shave and a Haircut"? "Brush (hog) with Death?"  :facepalm:  :D

Friday the 13th, part XIII, The Final Cut.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
+1
This afternoon, I have had the chance to finish-up on some small projects and start a new one.

The small ones, were vehicles that have been waiting for attention for some time.

A Hi-Rail Truck for the GGX operation.   Which is an old Magnuson kit, of their Maintenance Crew Cab work truck.

The second is a Oxford Diecast model of an English, Ford Transit van.  This unit replaces an older, "Box" ambulance for the Ford City Volunteer Fire Department.  In making this model, I used Microscale decals from their Emergency Vehicle sheet.  As well as some decals from the scrap box.  A second copy (plain-jane) of this van, is at the "pump" at the Kwik Trip in the background.

The new project is of a DQ restaurant.  I had seen the Walther’s offerings at the Mad-City (Madison Wisconsin) show from last month.   I took some dimensions and found the kit, would be TOO big for the area, I had planned to place it in.  I even download some photos of the kit, to see if I could “Kit-bash” it.   But, that didn’t seem to work.  So, I shelved the project.
Over the last week, I “goggled” some photos online of other restaurant designs and found two, that I could make work. 

Below is the result of combing the two designs.   

The location was originally occupied by the Badger Bank building in the background.  I wanted to keep that business. So, I removed the Co-Op building that was there originally.   I than had to cut the Bank, in half length-wise for it to fit, in its new location.

Now, Ford City has an eating establishment and gets to keep it's bank too.  :D

Jerry G.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »
Nice!  You are making good progress!  That gear on the driver axle looks really beefy!

How did the chassis end up bending down?  Was it straight when you soldered the frames to the PC board?  The fiberglass-epoxy PC board material is quite forgiving - you should be able to straighten it.

It wasn't straight, I was rushing. I had accidentally bent the frame and was trying to repair it in a way that would be stronger. The piece of PCB at the back used to be much shorter. I may be able to fix it, but there is a better chassis available from the 2mm Association and I plan on using that. It should be a much better solution.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

Wow, a modern "Gradall" with an weed cutting attachment.   I always wondered, if they were still being made..  :D

Thanks for the photo!

Jerry G.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 08:26:23 PM »

(Attachment Link)

I neglected to mention last week that I replaced the front coupler with a True Scale one.  This is worth mentioning because the conversion was very quick and simple.  In four easy steps,

1. Discard the upper cover and trim the nubbins on the lower housing that would have retained the upper cover.
2. Trim the sides of the lower housing so that it fits into the pocket in the pilot.
4. Assemble.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Jim,
Lowering the boiler and switching to the K4 cab does look better, although... ;) perhaps you can cut out and block in the cab windows so they match the B6 better.  That cab screams "K4", at least to any Pennsy fan.  The true-scale coupler on the front looks GREAT!  I will have to remember that.  Looks like another good option for steam locos besides using Z scale couplers or the Bowser
"buckler" that is very hard to come by.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »

Was that boiler blasted paintless or drowned ? Looks a lot better than any of my attempts .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:21:36 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
+2
Progress on PRR 3768:

Since I want to print the tender chassis of metal for the weight, I had to design an intricate FUD isolator with tender truck wire passages and chambers for the wires to flex within.  Still need passages for the speaker wires, above the positive and negative wires.  The total design is nearing completion.

Here is the same proof of concept assembly (without wire guides) with a Black Strong &Flexible (BSF nylon) frame:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:03:08 PM by Lemosteam »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »
Mike:  My MT 36 inch wheels are the brown plastic ones from a few years ago, and they work.  If they have yet another new profile, that doesn't work, they seem to be going backwards.  The ones I have, and the newer 33 inch wheels, have deeper flanges than the old 1008 lo-pros from the late 80s(?).  Hope they're not trying to bring back the pizza cutters...
N Kalanaga
Be well

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 12:42:45 AM »
+12
Some additional work weathering and coal load for a BLI M1:

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Too bad that the valve gear looks so toy-ish, but I know that you are at peace with that.

Maybe, maybe not, Peter.  We'll have to shake the spare parts box again, and see what falls out.

Jim,
.... perhaps you can cut out and block in the cab windows so they match the B6 better.

I gave your comment a lot of thought, Max.  Looking at some of the archival photos posted in the North East Rails website, there appears to be some variation in the size and location of the cab windows.  To my eye, at least, the windows in the model are in the ballpark, when compared to the prototype.  For a kitbash like this one, that's close enough for me.  Appreciate the comment, though.  As always.

Was that boiler blasted paintless or drowned ? Looks a lot better than any of my attempts .

Used ordinary paint stripper, UP.  Followed by an alcohol wash.

Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »

(Attachment Link)

4. Assemble.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Jim I'm struggling with why you chose a single window short cab for this loco all of the proto photos i see of this loco had the long dual sliding window...  Did you come across a photo of a B6 with a short cab or is it that the K4 cab is more DIMENSIONALLY accurate to the proto?

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
Some additional work weathering and coal load for a BLI M1:

Doug, the "wet look" around the fill hatches is a nice touch!
Otto

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
+6
Just some gee wiz shots. I have been busy lately with the sections,, see layout engineering page.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=38968.0

Y-it