Author Topic: The McMinnville & St.Louis Layout  (Read 1196 times)

MIKELMOSULA

• Respect: 0
The McMinnville & St.Louis Layout
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
I have inherited an N-Scale, 4x8 layout, unfinished and in disrepair from my grandfather and will be slowly disassembling it and transporting it across two states. I only plan to keep the track and the structures, as the plywood, foam and cork on the original layout have attracted the smell of the garage it was kept in. There are two levels to this layout, both currently controlled by separate DC controls. When I reassemble this, I would like to convert to DCC. Any wiring help would be great! Will I need two separate controllers for that? Also, when I reassemble this, I would like to "fix" any problem areas, maybe make it a little more realistic. Whats the best way to clean track of grime and dust? I am open to ideas. Thanks!

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
Re: The McMinnville & St.Louis Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
There are a few options for cleaning track. Personally, I cut a strip from the top of an old tube sock, stretch it around a wooden shim, wet one end with isopropyl alcohol, and scrub away. Works like a charm. (Use extra care around turnouts.)

Jim

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:52:58 AM »
If you are just getting started in the hobby, you may want to try a more simple track plan. The lower level of the layout would be a good place to start. An oval with a passing siding and a spur or two can provide quite a bit of operation.

I don't have a lot of experience with DCC yet; I operate with the NCC starter system. I believe you can do two separate levels with one controller, but I haven't tried.

As far as realism, the layout could of course benefit from more scenery. Choose a location you are interested in, and try to work in some prototype scenes. If you stay with the 4'x8' size you may want to consider using larger radius curves, they look more realistic, especially with longer equipment.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
You will be able to wire up the entire layout on a single DCC setup, and reduce a lot of the wiring complexity by only having a single network of wires (bus) to connect the track to the command station.

That said, you will need to include an auto-reverser to handle the crossover section in the middle of your lower level. Those switches effectively make two reverse loops which will cause polarity problems.

Best of luck with the disassembly and move.
Because why not...

MIKELMOSULA

• Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
Thank-you so far for all the help!

So when I finally get all the old track and pieces, I think I am going to assemble it in modules. The first module will be the middle 4'x4'. I just want to have some trains going around. The green blob is a poorly drawn round house. Please let me know of any problems you see or any additions or subtractions you would make.

http://imgur.com/a/3xGbo