Author Topic: Doing stuff again.  (Read 7058 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6427
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4937
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2026, 07:10:38 AM »
0
Printg it, swish it, spray it with brakleen, let the leaves wilt with a little help, cure it 3 minutes.
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35305
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2026, 09:15:39 AM »
+1
Printg it, swish it, spray it with brakleen, let the leaves wilt with a little help, cure it 3 minutes.

That reads like something worthy another TRW Lemo-banner. Piling on grapes anyone?  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2026, 09:34:26 AM »
+3
Sir Skibbe Hat has made a generous donation to the corn field so that problem is solved.


I had an Epiphany. Then later on the way home from the strip club I was thinking about the GR gondola. So I made most of the floor a separate piece. I had one all painted and ready for decals, but it had a slight sway-back. It was only like .015", but I could see it in person. Now with the middle floor out there is far less suction on the FEP while printing.



Now maybe I can get something painted and decaled  :scared:

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11601
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2026, 09:35:37 AM »
0
Sir Skibbe Hat has made a generous donation to the corn field so that problem is solved.


I had an Epiphany. Then later on the way home from the strip club I was thinking about the GR gondola. So I made most of the floor a separate piece. I had one all painted and ready for decals, but it had a slight sway-back. It was only like .015", but I could see it in person. Now with the middle floor out there is far less suction on the FEP while printing.



Now maybe I can get something painted and decaled  :scared:

Amazing.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2026, 09:17:48 PM »
+3
This took several hours and took much more corn than I though it would for such a small area.





Much more to do, but the foot print is there. Ordered Tamiya XF-5 to paint it. XF-60 to dust it, and X-24 to bling it out.

AI better spit me out a nice backdrop...

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2026, 11:58:38 AM »
0
Random question time. What year did the 70-Ton ASF A-3 Ride Control Truck get introduced?

I have some, but no idea if they fit in 1940 or what they would go on.

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2026, 12:49:45 PM »
+1
Spookshow (https://www.spookshow.net/trucks/asfa3.html) and this site (https://www.nasg.org/Gallery/Products/CarTrucks.php) both say 1940s/WWII.

They are unlikely to have been retrofitted to old cars  - much more common on new cars (or rebuilt cars).
So, put them on on any 70-ton car (mostly flats and gondolas in the 1940s) that was new in the 1940s or later (through early 1960s).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2026, 12:51:56 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3833
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2026, 12:58:41 PM »
+1
Here's an ad from 1949

https://www.facebook.com/RailfanDepot/videos/asf-a3-ride-control-trucks/836975459799641/

and a quote from the late Richard Hendrickson.

Quote
The ASF A-3 "Ride 
Control" truck was quite different, and was not introduced until 1944.

https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/message/104706

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2026, 01:40:19 PM »
0
Thanks I'll probably skip them for this layout.

I'm guessing they first started showing up on automobile boxcars?

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2026, 02:30:27 PM »
+1
Thanks I'll probably skip them for this layout.

I'm guessing they first started showing up on automobile boxcars?

Not 70T trucks.  Auto box cars were pretty much all 50T cars until the late 1950s/early 1960s.

ASF A-3 were pretty common on PS-1 boxcars, both 40' and 50', and other box cars that were new in the 1950s.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2026, 07:22:38 PM »
+2
Kinda think I should change it out.


LOL  :lol:

PJPickard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 213
  • Respect: +38
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2026, 05:38:33 AM »
+1
Maybe just buy my kit? I made it from those drawing you show.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=56083.msg776683#msg776683

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2026, 09:13:43 AM »
0
Spookshow (https://www.spookshow.net/trucks/asfa3.html) and this site (https://www.nasg.org/Gallery/Products/CarTrucks.php) both say 1940s/WWII.

They are unlikely to have been retrofitted to old cars  - much more common on new cars (or rebuilt cars).
So, put them on on any 70-ton car (mostly flats and gondolas in the 1940s) that was new in the 1940s or later (through early 1960s).

I completely forgot I'm more common use of 70 ton trucks in the 40s and 50s. Covered hoppers! Again, any car that was new in the late 40s or 1950s is a good candidate for A 3 70T trucks.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5404
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2026, 06:26:03 PM »
+3
I like to play with the stalk heights and do some overwatered/undergrowth areas at the ends to break up the fields a bit and to add interest.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Good luck with your corn! 

-Sir Skibbe Hat

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2026, 06:52:55 PM »
0
I'll knock a few down. I just wanted to get it as a whole piece to work with.