Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/13/22  (Read 9362 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3554
  • Respect: +1932
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2022, 04:33:28 AM »
+1
@nscaler711  Just giving the photo showing the rails a cursory overlook...it looks like you'll be okay since the Kato turnouts are already gapped at the frog.  However, it appears that you've soldered up at least one butt joint.  My recommendation is to solder a flattened 22AWG solid copper wire across any butt joints you've done, which will strengthen them up so you don't have future problems when they break...'cause they WILL  :trollface:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2022, 04:49:23 AM »
+9
needs couplers, a pole and handrails…The good news, I do have all of the needed Shapeways parts for the second loco, and I decided that it will be numbered 1627 since those numbers are all together in the decal sheet.


John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14003
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2022, 07:49:50 AM »
0
I get shivers and chills just seeing that many wires. Take it way. Make it stop. Uggg.

I get shivers and chills because mine looks nothing like that :)

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26099
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11584
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
+2

This completes the wiring revision work at Chetwynd.  I then re-installed the shelf for the LED lighting power supplies, of which only one is in use presently:




How much of a stud is @BCR 570 ? He has color matching heatshrink. Seriously, your wiring is a serious source of inspiration for my current project. I'm nowhere near your level, but definitely better than I had been.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26099
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11584
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2022, 09:57:03 AM »
+12
Productive weekend in the Kapuscinski household.

Full details about layout progress here:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51537.msg734671#msg734671

This is just a teaser.



But aside from layout progress, I also received these cars from Montoursville by way of Sheffield England. It's time to get those pesky "Q" logos off there. Anyone done that on these Pennzee cars?



I also spent some time upgrading some recently acquired N scale freight cars. ACI labels and COTS stencils for the PRR X59, Domino tanker and MA&PA 40'er.





I also added resistors to a handful of these as well. That's why the AM car was out. I also tested out the Mr Surfacer "Matt Finish" on the PRR X59 before I used it elsewhere. I'm really happy with it. I think it might be my new Dullcote replacement for rolling stock and stuff that has fine details. It worked really nicely on the tank car too.



And lastly, a shot I sent to @mu26aeh with the caption: "I don't know what this shipper is shipping, but apparently they don't care about the cars carrying it".

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 09:58:39 AM by Ed Kapuscinski »

AlbertSpor

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 91
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +14
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2022, 01:58:51 PM »
0
Thanks Nate, I was wondering if that was the case.
Matt ran his Frisco set for me in red instead of gold:  https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/Frisco-Express-Reefer-&-Passenger-N-Scale-Decal-Set-p411070019

Albert Spor

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16561
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7450
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2022, 09:16:11 PM »
+12
In between plumbing gymnastics and drywall pilates,  i got to hang out with my TTrak modules for a bit.



Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2022, 10:31:17 AM »
0
Well.....so much for getting started on painting this weekend. Modelflex L&N blue is not NEARLY dark enough (even after I added black to it....).

I'm going to assume it's freight car blue vs. passenger blue then?

apudelek

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 96
  • SPF with just a bit of NH...
  • Respect: +284
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2022, 11:29:01 AM »
+5
Decaling complete for my repainted Kato sleeper:  Now the New Haven's "Roton Point" in McGinnis Orange!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]


Andrew

The Gotham Union Terminal Co.

Modeling the Passenger Operations of the PRR & NH in Electrified Territory

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12341
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8579
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2022, 11:39:19 AM »
+2
In between plumbing gymnastics and drywall pilates,  i got to hang out with my TTrak modules for a bit.



Considering that I am familiar with your Cumberland station model since it was installed on your old layout more than ten years ago and I have even stood on the prototype's platform in the shadow of that bridge when your excursion train returned from Frostburg, I will affirmatively state that I believe that your module is quite possibly my favorite T-Trak module of all time.

Kudos,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2022, 05:56:13 PM »
+9
Got to play trains this weekend. Small short show and swap at a local church that our club has been doing for over 20 years. One of the visitors put together a video of the layout and sent the link to us to share...

Tony Hines

apudelek

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 96
  • SPF with just a bit of NH...
  • Respect: +284
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2022, 01:43:08 PM »
+4
@SkipGear , I'm a big fan of that N-Trak city module in your video with the underground station and the arrival/departure track screen.  Very impressive modeling going on there.

I just completed two projects this morning:  clear coats are finally dry on both my NH sleeper "Roton Point" and my renumbered Kato GG1 4879.  A TCS decoder was installed in the G last night.  First time I have tried some nice paper backdrops propped up by model cases to take these photos.  Looking forward to putting these two on the tracks.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]


Andrew

The Gotham Union Terminal Co.

Modeling the Passenger Operations of the PRR & NH in Electrified Territory

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2022, 02:20:37 PM »
0
@SkipGear , I'm a big fan of that N-Trak city module in your video with the underground station and the arrival/departure track screen.  Very impressive modeling going on there.


I don't think he got a good shot of it but there is also a subway running below the main station. There is an Arduino running the arrival board and the Subway below to keep things a little random. The subway is just a simple loop of track and the train pulls around back, out of view, waits a random amount of time, then returns in a random direction so it doesn't look like a simple loop with a time delay. Don spends a lot of time on the buildings, everything with windows has interior and lighting.
Tony Hines

Jesse6669

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1077
  • Respect: +2751
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »
+2
..Have lots of donor cars to strip and repaint into L&N blue for the "Pan American," kind of a cool train with a nice mix of lightweight and heavyweight cars...
(Attachment Link)
I know this spot well, that bit of the concourse was demolished back in the 60's and is currently the pig yard at NS' Gest St. yard in Cincinnati. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
While I'm here might as well post this update on an MLW DL535E in 1:300 scale.  The model will have etched handrails, (hopefully) be lighted and powered using a T-gauge 6-axle chassis.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2649
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1009
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2022, 06:33:44 PM »
+6
I'm late to the party again, but I did a little more to the "go Joe." Changed up the roof where the Pantagraphs attach, and, filled the number boards, headlight, and windows behind the cab door. Finally, I made new headlight housings out of brass tube, to give it a little more joe look. I think I'm ready to shoot some primer on it, and see what I gotta smoothen out or fill. Just gotta wait for the temp in the garage to warm up

  [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 06:42:20 PM by delamaize »
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)