Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/13/22  (Read 9365 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4523
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 10:40:56 PM »
+24
I finished up the observation car to my Frisco "Meteor" this evening (with the exception of the car name and the drumhead).  The car started out as a Kato Super Chief observation car that I took the lettering off of and painted the red (SP scarlet) and maroon (Milw maroon).  The silver is the stock Kato color.  Decals are by Circus City Decals.

It matches quite well with Lowell Smith's Frisco cars.

Final picture is the train as it stands so far (needs more sleepers).  The E8's are custom painted, detailed, and weathered Kato units with Digitrax DCC installed.  The diner and dormitory/lounge also need to be replaced as they are lettered for "The Texas Special."  I'll get to that as soon as I find donor cars on Ebay.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16561
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7450
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 11:10:27 PM »
+12
Added some details around the depot.








Then I ran some more trains!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 11:57:54 PM »
+1
Added some details around the depot.


Lee


No way that dude by the phone booth pulled up in that car.   ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5014
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 12:48:20 AM »
+11
During this past week I got the control panel for the new Imperial Oil spur at Chetwynd installed:




I may cut back the shelf above for better access, but this is where it had to go:




The toggle wires were run back underneath the layout to the servo controller on the left:




This completes the wiring revision work at Chetwynd.  I then re-installed the shelf for the LED lighting power supplies, of which only one is in use presently:




The last remaining task for Chetwynd is to get the new backdrop painted, as soon as the filling and sanding is finished.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Maletrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4213
  • Respect: +880
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
+1

No way that dude by the phone booth pulled up in that car.   ;)

That's Andre the Giant.  He took the driver's seat out and drives from the back seat.  (Ed's Law)  :trollface:

Frank Amato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1407
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +930
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 10:13:46 AM »
0
Looking great @BCR 570 !  There is so much "zen" in your wiring and controls.

  Frank

paggs

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +68
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
+5
N Scale Architect tier Model on the E.L.was the focus this weekend.
 

nscaler711

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 926
  • Respect: +271
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 12:01:54 PM »
+5
So for a while I had this Z scale Series 485 set from Real ZJ Gauge (Akia or whatever else) that was an ok runner, a bit noisey but sat too high in the consist.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

 So before I took pictures of anything  :facepalm: I ended up snapping the frame filing parts to lower the ride height. Again  :facepalm: but more like facedesk.

Then I remembered Rokuhan has some Shorty trains and quickly picked up a couple to get this train running again.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So I cut out the bottom of the frame that had the underbody details, drilled a couple holes and lined up everything and now it runs better than it did. Also added some wires to help with pick up... Learned that the hard way.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

 Still sits a bit high, but I can't cut parts of the motors so I'll live with it. Windows are gone too now, the shorty frames are too wide, but not thick enough to sand down otherwise they'll lose structural integrity.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And yes... Apparently Eva Unit-01 is a fan of DD51s.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »
0
During this past week I got the control panel for the new Imperial Oil spur at Chetwynd installed:

The toggle wires were run back underneath the layout to the servo controller on the left:




Tim

I get shivers and chills just seeing that many wires. Take it way. Make it stop. Uggg.
Peter Pfotenhauer

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 03:43:11 PM »
0
Maletrain:  I had a brother-in-law, now gone, who weighed over 300 pounds, was about 6 feet tall, and drove a Geo Metro.  Yes, he could, and did, fasten the seat belt.  By himself, he filled half the rated payload capacity.

He eventually rolled the car, into a ditch, and against a tree, dodging a large dump truck on a narrow road.  Car was totaled, and went straight to the scrap yard.  He received a small scratch on his forehead, needing only a dab of antibiotic cream and a bandage.

The paramedics said he fit so tightly he couldn't rattle around, and the way the car was designed, the passenger compartment was the only part not smashed.  So, he didn't even miss work, except for not getting there that day.  He was a long-haul hazmat semi driver, and eventually died of a heart attack, at home, cooking dinner.
N Kalanaga
Be well

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4523
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 05:41:44 PM »
+18
I pulled out some of my late 70's/early 80's motive power that I hadn't run for a while.

I replaced the wheels in the U30C's and the SD40-2's with new low profile ones from Kato so they run on Atlas code 55 track.  Still need to do that to the GP40's, GP38-2's, U23B's, and the switcher.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 05:49:49 PM by altohorn25 »
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Frank Amato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1407
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +930
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
+4
I gave the dings and dents a final fill/sand and sprayed the base coat of "Reading" green; decals are next!



  Frank

AlbertSpor

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 91
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +14
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 07:04:45 PM »
0
Nate,
Which Circus City decals did you use for the larger Frisco lettering above the windows?
The train looks fantastic.
Thanks
Albert SPor
Albert Spor

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4523
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 08:36:28 PM »
0
Nate,
Which Circus City decals did you use for the larger Frisco lettering above the windows?
The train looks fantastic.
Thanks
Albert SPor

Matt ran his Frisco set for me in red instead of gold:  https://circusdecals.ecwid.com/Frisco-Express-Reefer-&-Passenger-N-Scale-Decal-Set-p411070019
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

nscaler711

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 926
  • Respect: +271
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 08:53:29 PM »
+3
Something else I decided to tackle today.
Kato #6 single crossovers. You know to get that 33mm spacing that most of Kato's double track is.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

It is wired so I can still toggle it as well.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I uh still need to see if I can use it without frying anything... Since I didn't leave gaps any where.  :scared:
Also debating if I should mangle some S62 straights or a couple 4⅞" straights...