Author Topic: You Know Your A Model Railroader if?  (Read 2648 times)

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
Re: You Know Your A Model Railroader if?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 12:02:11 PM »
+1
You know you are when you see the 'Big Bang Theory' and know EXACTLY which train store he means by the 'uppity one' in the Pasadena area, and you know you're a railfan when you completely agree with his recommendation on the seating on the Los Angeles - SFO train - left side going up, right side coming back.....

You're killing me! At one time I even looked up 'train stores monrovia'...there really isn't one, just a hobby shop that may have trains.

Bernadette: What are you going to get at the train store, Sheldon?
Sheldon: Oh, I'm not buying anything. They're having a lecture. H-O gauge railroading. Half the size of O-gauge, but twice the fun. Very controversial topic.
Howard: Which side do you come down on?
Sheldon: I'll let you know after tonight. Unlike some people, I'm going in with an open mind. Who am I kidding? Of course we all know it's O-gauge or no gauge. <---(I believe this was a typo and should have be '...n gauge')

Proving my point:

Sheldon: All these years, I've been so wrong. The tinier the train, the more concentrated the fun!
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 01:20:55 PM »
+1
It's pretty clear that they had a model railroader/railfan on the writing team of that show.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 01:54:35 PM »
+4

Sheldon: All these years, I've been so wrong. The tinier the train, the more concentrated the fun!

Pity that the show ended before Sheldon gave us the quantum mechanical explanation for where MTL springs go after leaving our space time continuum.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
Never watched the show other than channel surfing and had no idea there was any mention of model trains.  Is there any mention of model trains in Young Sheldon?  I haven't watched that one either.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2021, 02:43:49 PM »
You keep small odds and ends or bits and pieces of plastic and metal things thinking you could use them for a kit-bashing project, flat car or gondola load.

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2021, 03:05:49 PM »
When both the wife and the window blind sales guy look at you crazy-like when you say you want to keep the old motorized blind. 

Sure enough, it had this interesting COPAL DC gearhead motor in it:

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2021, 11:50:56 AM »
Never watched the show other than channel surfing and had no idea there was any mention of model trains.  Is there any mention of model trains in Young Sheldon?  I haven't watched that one either.

Absolutely! Sheldon had an O gauge layout in the garage. Currently his brother has moved into the garage, his sister into his brothers old room, and his train layout was moved into his room. That way the first thing he sees when he wakes up is trains...the last thing he sees at night is trains, and if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he'll see trains.

Sheldon: I've always loved trains. In fact, if my career in theoretical physics hadn't worked out, my backup plan was to become a professional ticket taker. Or hobo.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
+1
.....you know TV and movie personalities only because of their Model Railroading accomplishments!
Charlie

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »
+1
You ship a bankers box full of empty shampoo bottles and printer parts half way around the world and back during moves because they look exactly like what you need for a yet to be built N scale steel mill.
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2021, 12:34:19 AM »
+1
.....you’ve moved a 5 pound lump of coal and a shoebox full of sandblasting grit (picked up outside Chicago’s All-Nations Hobby Shop from a parking garage they were building next door-both buildings replaced by a office tower decades ago) ....through seven moves .....in case you need a coal load in a tender, hopper or somewhere.   And used maybe a half a cup in 50 years!
Charlie Vlk

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2021, 12:43:59 AM »
you open a box after a move and discover decades old boxes of lychen . . . and on the last move you say to yourself, "I thought I tossed that stuff in the garbage last move?"
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384