Author Topic: More great tools from the manicure industry  (Read 2042 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +2998
    • Designer at Keystone Details
More great tools from the manicure industry
« on: September 29, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
+5
I sometimes struggle picking up and locating small objects where I want them. I had heard of a wax tip pen used to bejewel the fairer sex’s fingernails with crystals and beads, etc.

Searching on eBay, I came across these items.

Of course the wax tip pencil holding a very small pane of “glass”.  The pencil releases very easily.

And these gems, used for “dotting” these dotting brushes are strange in that they appear to have some form of stiffening all the way to the tips of the various bristles. The shorter the bristles the stiffer the brush.

Tried the long tip brush to paint some very thin raised areas (Intertwined PRR logo) on an n scale etched part and was happily impressed.

YMMV.

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
Re: More great tools from the manicure industry
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 10:32:36 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder how these differ from the very small sable paint brushes I use in painting detail on historical miniatures (such as a "5 / 0" brush). 

MH

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1769
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:15:50 AM »
I was wondering that too.  I have 5/0 and 10/0 brushes for fine detail work.

One thing that frustrates me is that I can never make those nice tapered tips last very long.  I clean the brushes carefully after I use them, and I even put the little clear bristle protector tube back over them, but it isn't very long before the bristles start to
fray and separate.  I wonder if these cosmetics brushes would be any different.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +2998
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 05:44:01 AM »
+1
I have often thought that a small dot of CA back from the tip, when brand new, might prevent that.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
The shorter the bristles the stiffer the brush.

TWSS.  :trollface:

Jim

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +282
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 11:35:16 AM »
Here's something that I use a lot...nail files. They are only slightly flexible and available in lots of different grits, but most importantly, very inexpensive so I don't worry if I loose one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Salon-Boards-2-count/113920105?fulfillmentIntent=In-store
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1553
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 11:36:38 AM »

One thing that frustrates me is that I can never make those nice tapered tips last very long.  I clean the brushes carefully after I use them, and I even put the little clear bristle protector tube back over them, but it isn't very long before the bristles start to
fray and separate.  I wonder if these cosmetics brushes would be any different.

My problem is more that the super fine tip starts to curl a little bit at the end making it sort of useless as far as the original intent.
I've gotten to where I just use my fingers to carefully shape it back into a point once clean, but still wet, then put the tube back over it and it seems to extend the life somewhat.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1769
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »
There are "brush preservers", little tins with a cake of soap-like material in them, that are supposed to keep the brushes nice and pointy if you use them after you clean and put away the brush.  I suppose I should at least try it to see if it's snake oil.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »
There are "brush preservers", little tins with a cake of soap-like material in them, that are supposed to keep the brushes nice and pointy if you use them after you clean and put away the brush.  I suppose I should at least try it to see if it's snake oil.

I have some. 
It works great when I try to preserve my brushes after a session of Watercolor painting, but the model paints and subsequent cleaners we use are a little more harsh.
With some paints I use just Windex as a cleaner but others require something a little stronger like lacquer thinner.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4438
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 03:48:23 PM »
+3
I visit Sally's Beauty Supply store  with my GF and like John mentioned, many items there can be used in out hobbies.

I use this buffer for polishing electrical contacts, and for removing mold parting lines on automotive plastic model bodies.

I also bought better quality flush-cutting cuticle trimmer for precision cutting of plastic parts from the runners/sprue.

I also use acrylic resin and activate liquid to  cast small parts in open molds.

And all those nail polish colors available make really nice paints for model cars.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +977
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 03:51:12 PM »
That buffer also works really well for polishing things like acrylic headlight lenses.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
+2

One thing that frustrates me is that I can never make those nice tapered tips last very long.  I clean the brushes carefully after I use them, and I even put the little clear bristle protector tube back over them, but it isn't very long before the bristles start to fray and separate.  I wonder if these cosmetics brushes would be any different.

Sable brushes....GENUINE sable brushes will last a very long time if taken care of properly.  I have several that have lasted for decades.  The secret is to not only to clean them, but to roll the brush on your tongue after it is completely clean.  If you're using paint thinner or alcohol to clean them, wait until they're dry before doing this.

It's well known among artists that spit preserves pointy real animal hair brushes.

Incidentally, spit is also the world's best SCUBA mask defogger.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »
My take on brushes losing their point is that paint gets into the shank of the wooden handle -- under and into the end bunch of bristles where they'e clamped to the handle. You never get all of that out and as the paint builds up at the base of each bristle that pushes the outer ends further apart - voila! You lose your brush point.
Maybe ultrasound brush cleaning can prevent this.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
+1
If you dip your brush that far, you’re doing it wrong.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4438
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »
If you dip your brush that far, you’re doing it wrong.

Yes and no. Even just dipping the tip of the brush in paint, what often happens is that the paint wicks up the bristles.
. . . 42 . . .