Author Topic: Turning Down MiniTrix F9 Wheel Sets  (Read 886 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +102
Turning Down MiniTrix F9 Wheel Sets
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »
Does anyone turn down wheelsets with the old "pizza cutter" flanges?  I have an ancient Trix F9 I'm going to strip out and run as a dummy but it won't run on Code 55 track.  I've looked at replacing the wheelsets with ones from NWSL but it's too expensive for just a dummy unit.  If anyone does this, please let me know.

Doug

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +695
Re: Turning Down MiniTrix F9 Wheel Sets
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 02:26:42 PM »
Simplist method would be chuck the wheelset up into a drill motor or dremel and use a file to turn down the flanges.
Mel Thornburgh scratchbuilt steam locomotives using this technique with a hand drill in a vise.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:36:50 PM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 04:26:52 PM »
+4
I did this recently and it went well...

You can find more pictures and how I did it on my site here.....

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/Locos-1/page-6.html

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2835
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 05:38:05 PM »
+1
Yes, the drill method works well.

I would make sure not to tighten the chuck too hard (to avoid gouging in the wheel tread). I would also make sure to *ONLY* file down the flange and not touch the tread (and not use sandpaper on tread).  Sandpaper will remove the plating and also result in a microscopically rough surface which will readily collect gunk.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:51:10 PM »
+1 for the drill (or Dremel) method for this one.  Trix F9 wheelsets are very hearty and are easy to file down this way.

Unless you get really ham-fisted with it, any slight inconsistency in the actual diameter of the wheel flanges will never be
noticed. 

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +475
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 02:01:10 AM »
Sumner:  That looks even easier than my method, using Dremel, from 40 years ago.  Thank you!

I might suggest tying the drill down, though, as it would be easy to move it with a little too much pressure on  the file.  Nothing fancy needed, anything that will keep it from moving.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:02:41 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »
+4
Thanks to all who replied to my query, I was able to chuck those wheels in my cordless drill and, using a small file, was able to turn the flanges down to about 0.035" diameter.  I also used the file to slightly round off the flange.  I ran the loco thru a few turnouts with no problems.  Much less expensive than buying new wheelsets.  Thanks again for all the help.

Doug

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 12:18:59 AM »
Excellent, Doug!  It's always nice when people check back in to tell us they fixed their problem.
Not only is it less expensive, it's a technique you will use on other wheels someday (well, maybe!)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +598
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 03:48:41 AM »
Does anyone turn down wheelsets with the old "pizza cutter" flanges?  I have an ancient Trix F9 I'm going to strip out and run as a dummy but it won't run on Code 55 track.  I've looked at replacing the wheelsets with ones from NWSL but it's too expensive for just a dummy unit.  If anyone does this, please let me know.

Doug

Glad you fixed the problem flanges!  BUT...a pet peeve of mine is the idea that pizza cutters "...won't run on Code 55 track."  They won't run on ATLAS Code 55 track, but they'll run just fine on both Peco 55 and Micro Engineering Code 55.

Just in case anybody out there isn't aware of this fact.  :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 11:05:24 AM »
......BUT...a pet peeve of mine is the idea that pizza cutters "...won't run on Code 55 track."  They won't run on ATLAS Code 55 track, but they'll run just fine on both Peco 55 and Micro Engineering Code 55.  Just in case anybody out there isn't aware of this fact.  :) Cheerio!  Bob Gilmore

Yep, my test layout is ME 55 and that is what I'll also use for the layout.  The FM H-12-44 did run on the ME 55 before filing the flanges but was struggling a little in my hand-laid code 55 turnouts.  It also seemed to be making some noise on the code 55 but mainly at higher speeds where you wouldn't be running anyway.  You can hear the difference to some degree in the following video where I was testing the decoder I installed and started the engine at a high speed.

I also did a video of before and after filing the flanges but ...

.... for some reason turned the sound off in the part after the flanges were filed (might try and redo it at some point).  The video does show how much better the engine is in the one turnout and one will have to take my word for it but the track noise that was there at higher speeds went away.  I think the turnout problem that was resolved was more of a construction error on my part in building the turnout.

Overall I do agree that at least with this engine if it is run at realistic speeds ME code 55 is not a problem.  I don't have any commercial turnouts so can't speak for those.

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
If the deep flanges were hitting the molded ME C55 spikes, why would speed make a difference in whether the flanges hit the spikes or not (not make sound or make a sound)?  That doesn't seem to make sense?
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +415
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »
+1
If the deep flanges were hitting the molded ME C55 spikes, why would speed make a difference in whether the flanges hit the spikes or not (not make sound or make a sound)?  That doesn't seem to make sense?

Speed won't make a difference to whether the spikes get hit, but it will change the sound.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 12:50:16 PM »
Speed won't make a difference to whether the spikes get hit, but it will change the sound.

Sure, I understand that .  A tapping/clicking at low speed becomes a constant rumble at high speed.

But I took the original statement "It also seemed to be making some noise on the code 55 but mainly at higher speeds where you wouldn't be running anyway." as "no noise at low speeds" and "some noise at high speed".
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1091
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »
Maybe it goes so fast, there is sort of a Mag Lev affect?   :trollface:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 06:50:44 PM »
Glad you fixed the problem flanges!  BUT...a pet peeve of mine is the idea that pizza cutters "...won't run on Code 55 track."  They won't run on ATLAS Code 55 track, but they'll run just fine on both Peco 55 and Micro Engineering Code 55.

Just in case anybody out there isn't aware of this fact.  :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Well, the flanges chattered along the ties on my ME Code 55, that's why I asked the question.  Maybe all ME Code 55 isn't created equal?

Doug