Author Topic: MTL September 2021 releases  (Read 4825 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: MTL September 2021 releases
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »
+1
I know I don't speak for everybody, but I am MUCH more likely to buy any car (or set, or runner pack) that is accurately painted over one that is incorrectly painted to "match".  It would save me having to strip the inaccurate color off and repaint it. 

You know, MTL does sell undecorated models. Even if they are not advertised, you can call them and ask for undercoated model (usually a kit).  Or contact MTL Joe.
That will save you the nasty task of paint stripping, and you'll have accurately painted model.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2021, 10:59:32 AM »
Leave the wrong car out and offer both the "right" and "wrong" versions as singles the month the set comes out?

I think Ed is on to something there. 

Unless I read Joe wrong, the business car is a "single" to be release at the same time (more or less) that the set is delivered (there seems to be a bit of confusion over this).  Given that they are already taking pre-orders for the set, I doubt they could change the consist even if they wanted to.
Well, apparently, I did read MTLJoe wrong.  See his comment below.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:04:59 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »
+1
You know, MTL does sell undecorated models. Even if they are not advertised, you can call them and ask for undercoated model (usually a kit).  Or contact MTL Joe.
That will save you the nasty task of paint stripping, and you'll have accurately painted model.

Yes, I do know that MTL sells undecorated models.  And yes, I would go the undec route in preference to stripping a model, but if an incorrectly painted model ends up on clearance somewhere, I am more than willing to pick one up cheap and strip the paint.  And I don't think of stripping paint as "nasty"- just part of the modeling process.

I was just trying to answer Joe's direct question- which was "would it then be ok to offer one of the Green Observation/Business cars with the set we are pre-ordering?"

Joe and the customer service crew at MTL have been quite generous in their support of my modeling, including supplying parts for repairs and customizing.  On one occasion saved an "eBay train wreck" of 4 FTs.  And I've acquired "unavailable" parts from them on a couple additional occasions.  Someday, when I have enough layout to get stuff out of boxes, I should do a "family photo" of all my projects that are a direct result of their really exceptional customer service.

Well over 1/2 of the MTL passenger cars I've bought were either undecs or the "Pullman" with no name-number that they offered early on.  Here is one of my recent purchase of 3 undec single window coaches, in process of being re-worked into Erie diner-lounge 2999:
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
Yes, I do know that MTL sells undecorated models.  And yes, I would go the undec route in preference to stripping a model, but if an incorrectly painted model ends up on clearance somewhere, I am more than willing to pick one up cheap and strip the paint.  And I don't think of stripping paint as "nasty"- just part of the modeling process.

I was just trying to answer Joe's direct question- which was "would it then be ok to offer one of the Green Observation/Business cars with the set we are pre-ordering?"

Looks like I misunderstood the meaning of your post.

As far as stripping being "nasty", it is compared to just starting with an undecorated model.  I  have also stripped paint from numerous models, and I consider it  not the most pleasant modeling task.
. . . 42 . . .

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
ARRRGGG  LOL    :facepalm:

OK.  We have a GM&O set on pre Order.  I am willing to swap out the Chicago for a more "accurate" Observation/Business car and then let everyone know what we are doing...Ie change the pre order.   So, the question, yes or no, would the green Business cars run with the two tone red set we are working on.  ...and Yes, we do offer Undecks on all sorts of cars...but what changes depending on stock.

Thanks

Joe

:) 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »
I would vote for the version of the Chicago.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2021, 06:56:30 PM »
+1
I'm going to guess that a color matched set, no matter what the accuracy, would appeal to more people than a more accurate but mismatched set.   Go for what you think is the biggest market.   If I had to pick, I'd include the observation body but letter it "Chicago"  - just like Con-Cor did.

No matter what you are compromising on the accuracy of the car body, so a real stickler wouldn't be satisfied. 

For reference, I am not part of the market for this set either way.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2021, 05:06:45 PM »
Anyone see weathered releases for this month yet?

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
They are up now... MTL was a little slow this month

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
They are up now... MTL was a little slow this month

Yeah, I just seen it on FB.

Hey @MTLJoe or @MTL_Brandon , no Halloween graffiti/weathered car this year ?  Been run/announced with the September cars in the past.  My birthday is Halloween so I've been sure to get those when they come out.  Did ask my local dealer for the BTKY set, see lots of those cars on the Hanover Sub

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2021, 11:46:07 PM »
Yeah, I just seen it on FB.

Hey @MTLJoe or @MTL_Brandon , no Halloween graffiti/weathered car this year ?  Been run/announced with the September cars in the past.  My birthday is Halloween so I've been sure to get those when they come out.  Did ask my local dealer for the BTKY set, see lots of those cars on the Hanover Sub

I think they are just doing the Micro Mouse now for the holidays. They seem to have tapered off on the Holiday graffiti cars in favor of Micro Mouse branded cars. I guess its saves me on cars.

2021 Halloween
https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=micro+mouse&description=true&product_id=4107

2021 Valentine's Day
https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=micro+mouse&description=true&product_id=3930

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2021, 01:31:25 AM »
I think they are just doing the Micro Mouse now for the holidays. They seem to have tapered off on the Holiday graffiti cars in favor of Micro Mouse branded cars. I guess its saves me on cars.

Chris

Count me in on the savings.  I'm not part of that niche MM car buyer. 

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »
Have the Illinois Central 2nd 5 car sets shipped yet?

MTL 993 01 791 is showing sold out at most dealers that list them.

Curious what the scoop may be as my dealer - who does a higher than usual volume of MTL - hasn't been able to confirm allotment.

Thanks -

Justin

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2022, 08:10:38 PM »
I ran my set for awhile behind the Broadway Limited 4-6-2 loco and it sure looked sharp!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr