Author Topic: MTL September 2021 releases  (Read 2574 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +528
MTL September 2021 releases
« on: September 02, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
https://www.micro-trains.com/archives/mediakit/medkit2109.html
https://www.micro-trains.com/publicfiles/monthly/MN2109.pdf

That GM&O passenger set is hard to resist.  Unfortunately, time to car shop due to 20 year old car biting the dust.
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +212
Re: MTL September 2021 releases
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 05:47:24 PM »
How about this.

GMO with OBSERVATION CAR WITH ENCLOSED PLATFORM!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 06:18:07 PM »
How about this.

GMO with OBSERVATION CAR WITH ENCLOSED PLATFORM!

I did see that, but I am a bit confused.  There hasn't been any "new body style" announcement, and the graphic pretty clearly shows a 10-1-2 Pullman.  The actual car was rebuilt from a Parlor-observation with platform, but the rebuild has a blind end ( http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1098917 ).

I hope the caption (observation with enclosed platform) is correct. I remember Joe chatting up the possibility and looking for suggestions. But I would like to know which prototype they are doing. I doubt they would use the GM&O car which was a one off, well, ok, a "two off"- there is a second car "Mobile",  post-war rebuild.  I'm hoping for one of the more common Pullman solarium cars.  I guess we'll see. @MTLJoe - any help you can offer on de-mystifying the "observation with enclosed platform"?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:40:25 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 06:39:09 PM »
I did see that, but I am a bit confused.  There hasn't been any "new body style" announcement, and the graphic pretty clearly shows a 10-1-2 Pullman.  The actual car was rebuilt from a Parlor-observation with platform, but the actual rebuild has a blind end.

I hope the caption (observation with enclosed platform) is correct. I remember Joe chatting up the possibility and looking for suggestions. But I would like to know which prototype they are doing. I doubt they would use the GM&O car which was a one off, or maybe two,  post-war rebuild.  I'm hoping for one of the more common Pullman solarium cars.  I guess we'll see. @MTLJoe - any help you can offer on de-mystifying the "observation with enclosed platform"?

Yes, I would be very interested in the backstory of this car!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +553
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »

I wouldn't even call this an observation..
Dear Intermountain.. Please cancel your N scale 4785s.. That ship has already left China..... Twice... 

~Ian

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »
I wouldn't even call this an observation..
The original car it was rebuilt from was an open platform.  You can see where the open side obs platform was enclosed with steel sheeting.  But in its rebuilt form, it was used as a mid-train parlor-lounge.  There are no end windows.  The remaining telltale of its origins is the housing of the rear light on the roof and the marker lights on the end of the letterboard.
Tom D.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 09:26:31 PM »
Yes, I would be very interested in the backstory of this car!

I was referring to the model train car specifically but more detail on the prototype is cool too.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 10:06:09 PM »
This one off-oddball car would be a poor excuse for not doing or delaying a proper Solarium car....even with Alton/GM&O paint!
Charlie Vlk

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 12:54:21 AM »
I'm thrilled C&NW is gettin' some heavyweight love. Snapped up the 12-1 sleeper last month, and I'll be in for multiples of more common cars.

Jim

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 09:06:09 AM »
I'm in for the C&O Diner!!

Probably the Seaboard Bulkhead and maybe the Chessie Boxcar.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 09:08:17 AM »
I was referring to the model train car specifically but more detail on the prototype is cool too.
The model shown in the ads lettered as the "Chicago" and labeled as "observation car with enclosed platform" is the artwork for the 10-1-2 sleeper that MTL makes ( https://micro-trains.com/image/data/product/2021/2109/2109-141XXXXX-GMO.jpg the 141 near the end there is the 141 carbody- ie the 10-1-2)- so clearly there is some sort of error here. Either (a- and I think most likely), the wrong artwork is shown and the car included is an obs with enclosed platform, (b) the artwork is correct and they used that carbody because they decided the window pattern was closer to Chicago's than the MTL parlor and labeled it as an obs with enclosed end because the real car "Chicago" was rebuilt from an obs by enclosing the end, or (c) it is the wrong artwork and is supposed to be the MTL parlor car.  Hopefully, we will get some clarification before the pre-order deadline.

IIRC, the first site we had of the single window coach was one included in a set - but it was pretty clearly a single window coach as shown in the artwork. 

I remain hopeful that there really is a closed end obs coming- and if it turns out to be a parlor or parlor lounge so much the better, I could use a couple.

I'm thrilled C&NW is gettin' some heavyweight love. Snapped up the 12-1 sleeper last month, and I'll be in for multiples of more common cars.

Jim
Even though I don't model C&NW, I sure remember those trains from my early years.  I think this is great marketing, because these are the ideal additions for those who have recently picked up C&NW bilevels and E units from Kato, or the CNW shorties from Atlas.
Tom D.

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +377
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
Oohh. Santa Fe box! Reading! Wow!, Peoria & Eastern!!!

Oh. Wait. Nevermind.
Buffering...

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »
Now up to bat is MicroTrains! Here's the pitch and....swing and a miss. Nothing west coast and nothing (with the exception of Z scale) transitional. Hey MT...how about some more SP passenger cars (and not just T&NO)?
Sacramento Valley NTrak

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 11:24:50 AM »
+1
My wallet is safe this month, which is good as the TTX TBOXes in modern logo are coming mid month it appears.

Glad other people see new releases that will help them keep the economy moving along.
Peter Pfotenhauer

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +742
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 02:58:34 PM »
Even though I don't model C&NW, I sure remember those trains from my early years.  I think this is great marketing, because these are the ideal additions for those who have recently picked up C&NW bilevels and E units from Kato, or the CNW shorties from Atlas.

Curious about the diner as it's sub-lettered for the Chicago, St Paul, Milwaukee and Omaha but there is no mention of it in the description.  The Omaha didn't merge into the CNW until the 70's being leased by the CNW prior to that.

Jason