Author Topic: Best Of The Stephenson Rocket  (Read 14699 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
Re: The Stephenson Rocket
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I really need to find a "standing ovation" emoji.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2022, 02:51:56 PM »
That is an amazing model.  Wow!

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2022, 04:14:08 PM »
We saw it could run slow, but just getting it to pick-up power and keep doing it going smoothly is the impressive part.

Indeed.  That was a hard part, as was getting enough weight and balance on it so it could pull those two little cars up the hills AND have enough weight on the big driver so it could free-wheel and still have enough "push" to move the valve slider without getting stuck.  It really cannot pull much more.  It can barely manage those two cars.

Of course, I scrupulously cleaned the track and the wheels before doing this demo, which is a must for this thing.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2012
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2022, 04:41:22 PM »
I'm reminded that while I've been in the absurd tiny critter business now for about 15 years, and have chopped up more little chassis that I care to admit, it was Max's photo-clear assembly article in the Keystone that ever gave me enough courage to take on my GHQ L1 2-8-2 kit a LONG time ago, and served as the model for every instruction set I've written since.   Up until then I was too scared of a kit that complex to try it, let alone develop my own.   And whenever I've run into some rather absurd mechanism and scratchbuilding challenges without an obvious solution, Max's approach is often the best.   So attaboy Max, you still set the bar.

The genius in that thing (to me) is the spring wire pickups to the Kato wheels bearings.   Zero friction on an interior bearing with 4x4 pickup without wipers or a riding surface like Tomytec.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2022, 05:05:45 PM »
Speechless!

(Now can you do it in Z?   :trollface:  :facepalm:   :D)

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2022, 06:31:00 PM »
Speechless!

(Now can you do it in Z?   :trollface:  :facepalm:   :D)

I think I just did!   :D

Seriously, in the opening scene of the video, the engine backs up and right behind it is the SP&S 0-6-0, which was already a very small engine, yet it looks positively gigantic compared to Rocket.  It really shows you how locomotive building progressed from the early 1800s though the end of steam.

Randy, THANK YOU, for such kind words.   There were several mental break-throughs to this thing, and the phosphor bronze wires sprung against those bearings were one of them.  I knew right from the start that the tender wheels would have to work Kato-style with the axle point cups.  And although the engine bearings could have been in some sort of metal carrier, that would never be sure-enough contact for an engine this light.  The sprung wires push UP on the bearings and the axles (and whatever small weight is on top of them) push down, so it's about the best you can do.  The sprung wires soldered to the PC board all come out as a unit with one screw, so the drivers and bearings can be dropped in and out for repairs and testing.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2088
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2022, 07:56:30 PM »
Truly outstanding and inspirational work Max! Thank you for sharing it with us. Congratulations on the Best Of.
I appreciate how you demonstrated that the engine and tender are in fact powering the train and not vice versa. I imagine some would insist there’s a mechanism in the coach and it makes it that much more impressive to prove there isn’t.

Jim
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »
Gives the term "rocket science" a whole another meaning :D :facepalm:
Fabulous!
Otto

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4531
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2022, 08:14:20 PM »
Indeed.  That was a hard part, as was getting enough weight and balance on it so it could pull those two little cars up the hills AND have enough weight on the big driver so it could free-wheel and still have enough "push" to move the valve slider without getting stuck.  It really cannot pull much more.  It can barely manage those two cars.

Of course, I scrupulously cleaned the track and the wheels before doing this demo, which is a must for this thing.

I've been thinking on how the model could have been made heavier.  If it was possible to have the tender and loco 3D printed in wax, then use lost-wax casting process to make them out of brass instead of resin.  That would have added a good amount of heft to it.  I think Shapeways does that.
But at this juncture it is a moot point.  The model  looks  and works great.  The very low gearing of that tiny motor is one of the keys to its success.
. . . 42 . . .

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2022, 11:35:12 PM »
Max, your work and skill level are so fantastic.
This build and how well it operates is just a testimony to your craftsmanship
kudos! excellent!

Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2022, 12:11:14 AM »
Otto:  True.  two centuries ago steam railroads were "high tech", and every bit as mysterious to the average person as today's space rockets. 

They also had about the same chance of blowing up!
N Kalanaga
Be well

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2022, 07:40:37 AM »
Max,

Your skill, craftsmanship, and ingenuity are truly amazing.  Thank you for sharing this in such detail.  You are an inspiration to us all.  You have raised the bar yet again.

Scott

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
I've been thinking on how the model could have been made heavier.  If it was possible to have the tender and loco 3D printed in wax, then use lost-wax casting process to make them out of brass instead of resin.  That would have added a good amount of heft to it.  I think Shapeways does that.
But at this juncture it is a moot point.  The model  looks  and works great.  The very low gearing of that tiny motor is one of the keys to its success.
Pete,
In fact, this is how Stony Smith made the main driver for me.  He had it available in FUD, then went through the wax -> lost wax to brass route with Shapeways.  (and thanks, man!)

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2022, 10:57:35 AM »
+4
Gives the term "rocket science" a whole another meaning :D :facepalm:
Fabulous!
Otto

Funny you should mention this, Otto!   I found this drawing of Rocket online, added a little text, and had it printed on a Cafe Press shirt.
(and yes, I wear it).  The joke was just too perfect to pass up.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1709
    • My website
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2022, 05:38:34 PM »
Max,
would it be possible to add sound?
Like adding a decoder in the passenger car?

I noticed the motor seems to have a slight whine to it.   Of course, I don't know if that's because it really does, or if it's really pretty quiet and I just have my sound turned too high.

This is such a great project.
I'm so amazed.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.